Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
English name with Yehuda?
Previous  1  2

nchr

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:08 pm
singleagain wrote:
Quote:
Parents can choose whatever they want. Only frum ppl have this fear of being ashamed of names...

I guess you didn't hear what happened when someone shared this very unusual three part first name

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com......html

Ok so you found a reddit article. Honestly, secular kids just dont behave, in general, in a manner that would mean making fun of names - same goes for adults. Yet, the frum world has this pervasive fear that if your kid is name Kreindy it's child abuse. Give me a break. If my kid made fun of another person's name, I'd feel so disappointed I'm not even sure I could face my kid for a while. Dont parents have navuah? Aren't all names beautiful? I'm not talking about some crude or inappropriate ie naming your kid Musollini, Stalin or profanity. Also, kids should never be part of adult conversation including if you think Mabel is dated or Axe is not refined.

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:14 pm
I remember when that went viral. The whole world has very strong feelings about names. In certain countries, they have strict rules about what you can name a kid and if the name isn't approved, the government will pick a name for the kid.

I'm not saying an unusual name is child abuse... But most ppl go through some form of teasing. Even with the most beautiful and common name. No reason to make the teasing easier.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:14 pm
Mocking weird names or anything that sticks out as unusual is not a frum kid thing. It's a universal kid thing. Nothing to do with how they were raised, that's just what kids do.
Most kids grow up and become civilized and stop, post middle school.
For example, the name Pax has a beautiful meaning. But you're in denial if you think this kid won't be getting called tampax by his immature friends in 7th grade.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:47 pm
Quote:

My Yehuda’s legal name is Yehuda. We spell our kids’ Hebrew names in English for their birth certificates. If it was something very difficult to spell in English we’d work around that, but Yehuda isn’t so hard. We haven’t had trouble with it as a legal name.

ETA I reread your OP, sorry for totally missing the point!

Same here. All my other kids have their regular Hebrew name they're called by on their birth certificate.
This is purely a legal issue.
I actually have two nephews that were born a couple of months apart and had the same name and used the same pediatrician and their medical files were once mixed up - very scary!

I'm really liking the "Jay" idea as a middle name

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:03 am
singleagain wrote:
Quote:
Parents can choose whatever they want. Only frum ppl have this fear of being ashamed of names...

I guess you didn't hear what happened when someone shared this very unusual three part first name

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com......html

Mum-to-be cancels baby shower after name backlash

The mum-to-be then added: “My baby’s name WILL be a revolution. It will push people to question everything. Why name your baby boring and over-used names like Joshua, Brian, Sam, Nick, Mark, Bella, Marina, etc… when you can name it something special.

Them's fighting words! Punch Mad Punch Mad Punch

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:12 am
nchr wrote:
Parents can choose whatever they want. Only frum ppl have this fear of being ashamed of names... Teach your kids middos so they dont create that issue.

Also, she did not suggest an unusual name. If anything, in English, YEHUDA is a funny name or, because its English, it does not matter what name she uses.

You could use your maiden name as a middle name. Some people give kids middle names that could also be last names in case they dont want to use a last nane (I.e. Harris, Cohen, Allen, Davis for boys or Bardot, Quinn, Monroe, etc. for girls

Must be a right wing thing.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:18 am
I second the Jay suggestion. I worked in a law office where one of the attorneys was named Yehuda and his legal name was Judah Jay XXX. He used the name Jay at work. Yehuda Jay works too!

mommyhood

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:

My Yehuda’s legal name is Yehuda. We spell our kids’ Hebrew names in English for their birth certificates. If it was something very difficult to spell in English we’d work around that, but Yehuda isn’t so hard. We haven’t had trouble with it as a legal name.

ETA I reread your OP, sorry for totally missing the point!

Same here. All my other kids have their regular Hebrew name they're called by on their birth certificate.
This is purely a legal issue.
I actually have two nephews that were born a couple of months apart and had the same name and used the same pediatrician and their medical files were once mixed up - very scary!

I'm really liking the "Jay" idea as a middle name

We had a similar situation with someone unrelated to us who happened to have the same name in the same practice. Now the secretary asks for birth dates. I think it's unnecessary to add a name for this purpose alone. Personally I find having a middle legal name that I never use to be a pain.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names