Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Book Hotel closer to Washington DC or Silver Spring?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 11:05 pm
Were 2 middle age adults, looking to be able to buy food in a kosher supermarket, so we dont have to shlep everything.

Are we better off staying in a hotel closer to the sites in Washington DC, or staying closer to where we can buy kosher food?

What are the names and hours of the Silver Spring kosher supermarkets? Pizza shops? Which are recommended?

Which days in the middle of the week, are the Washington DC sites open?

Any tips for travel in the area will be appreciated.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 11:07 pm
We stayed in Silver Spring and were fine, but we didn't go to the supermarkets. It was just easier with minyanim.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 11:25 pm
Everyone is different. Some like to be in the center of the action: Us. We like to be close to all the attractions and don’t mind being further to the restaurants. Some don’t mind being further away.

chestnut

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 11:45 pm
Are there any kosher places to eat in Washington DC or Silver Spring is the closest that has them?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:03 am
Are there some days that are better than others to see Washington DC sites? Like smaller lines? Any tips?

Which are the best sites to see?

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 12:08 am
chestnut wrote:
Are there any kosher places to eat in Washington DC or Silver Spring is the closest that has them?

Char Bar is a nice restaurant, if on the expensive side for what it offers. The food is delicious Smile

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:13 am
DC has a restaurant called charbar. In Silver Spring, Shalom Kosher is the kosher supermarket. There are pizza stores- ben yehuda and nut house, chinese takeout- holy chow, dairy- kosher pastry oven, burger type place- Max's. In Rockville, which is 15 min from silver spring- Al haesh and Oh Mamas Grill.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:27 am
If I havent made a request to visit the White House, at least 21 days prior, I cant see the White House? What if I plan on going to Washington a week from now?

"Public tour requests must be submitted through one’s Member of Congress. These self-guided tours are available from 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays (excluding federal holidays or unless otherwise noted). Tour hours will be extended when possible based on the official White House schedule. Tours are scheduled on a first come, first served basis. Requests can be submitted up to three months in advance and no less than 21 days in advance. You are encouraged to submit your request as early as possible as a limited number of spaces are available. "

https://www.whitehouse.gov/abo.....ents/

chestnut

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:59 am
Thanks, Cerulean and Khaki!

shmosmom

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 11:07 am
I'd stay right outside Washington, in DC itself hotels can be expensive, if you have a car stay 10 minutes away or something like that.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 5:18 pm
Can anyone post which hotel they stayed in? I'm looking to book a trip and would prefer silver spring because financially it'll be easier. I have a hard time figuring out these things online where are the minyanim, the restaurants, how far from the closest metro stop, etc. We're a family of kids so I need either a suite or a room large enough to accomodate 4 kids.

doctorima

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 6:27 pm
When are you planning to go? It's too early to know when it will be safe and worthwhile to go, and when DC attractions (and SS minyanim) will reopen. That said, if you want 1 hotel room to hold you all, your best bet is the Residence Inn, which has larger suites available. It's about 15 minutes from Shomrei Emunah and the Woodside Synagogue. You may also want to look into AirBNB, which may give you extra space for the same price, and possibly a shorter drive to shul, restaurants, and the Metro.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, May 07 2020, 8:34 pm
doctorima wrote:
When are you planning to go? It's too early to know when it will be safe and worthwhile to go, and when DC attractions (and SS minyanim) will reopen. That said, if you want 1 hotel room to hold you all, your best bet is the Residence Inn, which has larger suites available. It's about 15 minutes from Shomrei Emunah and the Woodside Synagogue. You may also want to look into AirBNB, which may give you extra space for the same price, and possibly a shorter drive to shul, restaurants, and the Metro.

The Residence Inn is very expensive at 419/night! I guess we'll have to do airbnb.

doctorima

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 9:52 am
Sorry, I never pay attention to cash rates, as we always book using rewards points. Assuming your trip is far in the future, when it will hopefully be safe to go, you have time to sign up for a Marriott/Bonvoy credit card and earn the sign-up bonus, which should cover your stay. If need be, sign up for 2 cards, one for you and one for DH, and you'll be all set.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 11:33 am
doctorima wrote:
Sorry, I never pay attention to cash rates, as we always book using rewards points. Assuming your trip is far in the future, when it will hopefully be safe to go, you have time to sign up for a Marriott/Bonvoy credit card and earn the sign-up bonus, which should cover your stay. If need be, sign up for 2 cards, one for you and one for DH, and you'll be all set.

Cool!

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 11:38 am
Take this for what it is worth but - Washington DC is a prime destination for graduation trips.

My child's class was set for their DC trip at the end of May and it is totally cancelled (Torah umesorah affiliated school). If the schools aren't going, it isn't any safer for a family to go now with kids.

Everything there is closed - all the major museums and indoor touring sites. What is the point? A beach I could see, if it were open, if nature was the destination and activity, but a city like DC with most things closed? Plus the risk of staying in a hotel, restaurants, etc?

Sorry..start bashing me now..

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, May 08 2020, 11:40 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Take this for what it is worth but - Washington DC is a prime destination for graduation trips.

My child's class was set for their DC trip at the end of May and it is totally cancelled (Torah umesorah affiliated school). If the schools aren't going, it isn't any safer for a family to go now with kids.

Everything there is closed - all the major museums and indoor touring sites. What is the point? A beach I could see, if it were open, if nature was the destination and activity, but a city like DC with most things closed? Plus the risk of staying in a hotel, restaurants, etc?

Sorry..start bashing me now..

Our trip is scheduled for later, and I'm only booking a hotel with free cancellation until a week or two before the trip. And time will tell if we'll actually end up going...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics