Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Letting a parent know of day camp injury

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:16 pm
Ds (aged 8) had a very bad fall in day camp on filthy blacktop.
He came home and his leg was scraped deeply , pink, raw, weeping wound.
The camp never let me know, no one cleaned it for him, they put on a bandaid.

The wound was filthy and his leg was swollen.
I'm taking care of it, but frankly I'm horrified that no one helped him at camp & no one called me to let me know.

Is this standard?

Another child cut her elbow, enough to tear & bloody her shirt on day camp. Again, no call, nothing. To me it seems very irresponsible; but as it was 2 separate camps I wonder if it's in fact usual

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:22 pm
I’ve had things like this too.
I don’t know about by you, but here the counselors are teens. High school kids. There is minimal adult supervision going on. The girls seem to be more mature. The male counselors rarely seem to be paying attention. No offense to anyone with mature wonderful teen boys who are excellent counselors. So a lot goes under the radar.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:05 pm
I'm a teacher all year round and a day camp counselor in the summer. We usually call a parent or if it's only a very minor injury, write a note explaining what happened. I'm a mother myself and would want to be notified if something happened. The counselor probably either didnt know about it or is a young teen who doesnt know to call the mother

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:48 pm
in my school we have such cranky demanding parents that need to know the second their kid gets hurt. as a busy teacher I dont always have time to call right away and an hour later or even an hour after school I might forget to call. parent sees their kid and becomes outraged they got no call. so what ends up happening is when a kid gets hurt the rule is FIRST call the parent. do not comfort child. do not take care of injury. call parent first. ridiculous in my opinion. Id much rather know my kid was taken care of immediately but hey that makes them happy. this applies to minor injuries.

anything that requires parental input such as kid needs stitches or a bad head injury that needs to be looked at by a doctor I would ALWAYS call the parent right away. but something like a cut or a scrape that I can take care of myself I find ridiculous that the parent needs a special phone call right away.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ds (aged 8) had a very bad fall in day camp on filthy blacktop.
He came home and his leg was scraped deeply , pink, raw, weeping wound.
The camp never let me know, no one cleaned it for him, they put on a bandaid.

The wound was filthy and his leg was swollen.
I'm taking care of it, but frankly I'm horrified that no one helped him at camp & no one called me to let me know.

Is this standard?

Another child cut her elbow, enough to tear & bloody her shirt on day camp. Again, no call, nothing. To me it seems very irresponsible; but as it was 2 separate camps I wonder if it's in fact usual

They put on a bandaid, but didnt clean it. the issue here isnt no one helped him, the issue is the level of care he got which wasnt adequate for the wound.

Is the issue the level of care, or the no phone call to you letting you know about it. 2 very different things.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 11:24 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
in my school we have such cranky demanding parents that need to know the second their kid gets hurt. as a busy teacher I dont always have time to call right away and an hour later or even an hour after school I might forget to call. parent sees their kid and becomes outraged they got no call. so what ends up happening is when a kid gets hurt the rule is FIRST call the parent. do not comfort child. do not take care of injury. call parent first. ridiculous in my opinion. Id much rather know my kid was taken care of immediately but hey that makes them happy. this applies to minor injuries.

That really is ridiculous. Why can't the rule be "call the parent before the child goes home"? Of course take care of the injury first...

When school calls me to let me know something happened to one of my kids, I always ask them how they treated the wound. I would NOT be happy to hear "nothing, he's still bleeding and crying".

tweety1

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 11:29 pm
Yrs ago, a girl threw a small stone at my daughter on her face causing her to get a "small" gash. Nobody called me, nobody told me. She came home with a bandaid. Well anyway, that small gash turned out to be pretty deep and needed stitches. When I called the day camp the next day I was told that some nurse looked at it, and decided it's nothing major.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:12 am
Bh we get called even just for a stomachace. Never had an issue in school or camp.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 5:12 am
I think 8 is a little old to still be expecting "boo-boo calls". In my experience, at least, past first grade, you're not going to get a call unless it's really serious (like concussion or stitches serious) or on the kid's face, such that it will be the first thing you see when he comes home.

That said, it's absolutely unacceptable that they didn't treat it properly. My kids have come home with nasty scrapes, but they were cleaned and bandaged appropriately right away. I didn't mind not being called, and if I had further questions, I called the teacher/counselor later.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 5:30 am
My son stepped on broken glass and they called me. Day camp policy is glass bottles aren't allowed. The camp director called at night to apologize as well.

I picked up ds from camp and somehow got him to the Dr. There was glass in the foot and it needed to be removed. Bh no stitches needed.

I was upset because they should have called hatzola right away. I think for insurance purposes they chose not to

Another story, dd fainted in school. School had an assembly in the basement that didn't have a COO and was under construction. School called me and told me to "come fast". I did, expecting to meet Hatzola. They never called because they would have been reported. Dd had to argue every time they had an assembly in the basement that she wasn't allowed to go. Her allergist told her to stay away because "only God knows what's down there".

I never heard of a place not calling.

behappy2

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:29 am
Welcome to daycamps!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:33 am
There was an adult in the office who gave him a bandaid.
My issue is both that he was injured & it wasn't cleaned (I need to watch for infection). This isnt a simple scrape it's his entire calf had the top layer of skin ripped off & full of dirt)
And yes I should be called to let me know- after he is treated.

They had no problem calling when they thought my kid broke a camp rule by bringing in contraband (he didn't it was another child). But for an injury it was ignored.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There was an adult in the office who gave him a bandaid.
My issue is both that he was injured & it wasn't cleaned (I need to watch for infection). This isnt a simple scrape it's his entire calf had the top layer of skin ripped off & full of dirt)
And yes I should be called to let me know- after he is treated.

They had no problem calling when they thought my kid broke a camp rule by bringing in contraband (he didn't it was another child). But for an injury it was ignored.

camp should have someone(s) who have better first aid knowledge than the adult in the office did. the should also document what happened... but I don't understand why you would need to be called unless your child was inconsolable.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:57 am
Bec it's the responsible thing to do imo.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:59 am
I agree it should've been taken care of properly, but doesn't sound serious enough to warrant a call home at that age.

shmosmom

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:39 am
Recently had the same with my 3 year old daughter.
She came home from camp with what looked like a big burn mark on her hand.
I didn't want to be the parent who calls and complains but also needed to know how it happened so I can asses what my next step should be.
Waited about half hour to calm down and called the director (didn't have individual Morah's number). She said she'll call the Morah and get back to me. Turns out it was a closet door that her hand got stuck in. (Same story as my daughter said but bruise didn't look as such).
Told director I can understand mistakes happen but I would really appreciate a warning or a call or a note or the Morah could've said something when I picked her up. Definitely don't send a child home with a big bruise and leave parent to just wonder what happened.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children