Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How clean do I the landlord have to leave apt for next tenan

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:04 pm
Tenants moving in a day after I paint. What’s the standard to clean in the apt I’m renting to them? Cabinets, windows, ceiling fans....??

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 9:10 pm
Not sure what your legal obligation is, but the decent thing is to turn over a very clean space. It’s to your benefit anyhow. Kind of setting the standard for how you want your property treated.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 10:17 pm
Yes, that.

We moved into a house that was pretty filthy, vents seemed to have never been cleaned, carpets full of cat hair.

It was unsurprising to us to find out that the landlord had no inclination to fix anything, like ever.

We don't destroy the place on purpose, but I am not terribly motivated to keep it in tip-top shape either.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:09 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Yes, that.

We moved into a house that was pretty filthy, vents seemed to have never been cleaned, carpets full of cat hair.

It was unsurprising to us to find out that the landlord had no inclination to fix anything, like ever.

We don't destroy the place on purpose, but I am not terribly motivated to keep it in tip-top shape either.

This!

When I moved from such an apt, it looked more or less the same. I lived there for almost 10 years with four children. The landlord was a massive cheapskate who always had to fix something more than once because he was trying to save money on repair people. But until that repair happened..... Only if it affected him. I had a leak in the bathroom from his apt for four weeks straight until it reached the basement. When that happened and it affected his business, boy was he quick to repair it.
Or every winter it rained in from his porch to the kids' bedroom to finally again the basement did he finally fix it, but left me with a massive hole in the ceiling.
Believe me, we weren't motivated in the least to take care of the apt. So yes, the way a tenant finds the apt and how the landlord is with repairs, it'll be returned the same or worse.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:16 am
We have always put this into the contract - they need to have it as clean as it was left to them. Put everything in the contract! You might even use a cleaning crew after they leave and stipulate that the next tenants also need to do so when they leave. Maybe now it's too late for this time. Instead, Leave it super clean so the tenants feel obligated to do the same when they leave, and PUT IT IN THE CONTRACT for the next tenants.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 4:13 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
We have always put this into the contract - they need to have it as clean as it was left to them. Put everything in the contract! You might even use a cleaning crew after they leave and stipulate that the next tenants also need to do so when they leave. Maybe now it's too late for this time. Instead, Leave it super clean so the tenants feel obligated to do the same when they leave, and PUT IT IN THE CONTRACT for the next tenants.

Thanks! Is the first time I’m renting it out. What else do I need to know?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 4:30 am
PUT EVERYTHING IN THE CONTRACT!

clear? Smile

Never be afraid of finding new tenants if the current ones are no good

Don't cap your next year's raise in the contract

Sign only one-year contracts unless you know the tenant well and the market is predictable

If I think of anything else I'll let you know!

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 4:45 am
We've lived in several rentals in Brooklyn and Monsey, none of them were cleaned before we moved in.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 5:50 am
No tenant is leaving a place spotless. The movers make a mess. When furniture is taken out dust is left. Vacuums are packed. No one is polishing woodwork then. Normally it has to be swept clean when a tenant leaves and left decent.
Typically the landlord needs to hire someone to mop, vacuum, polish woidwork, clean stove and oven and fridge well. Wipe down kitchen and bathroom. Or do it themselves.
Remember you are building a relationship with your new tenant. It’s past to start with best foot forward.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 5:55 am
Definitely different in Israel and the US, so it depends where you live. In Israel the apartment is usually unfurnished - no fridge or oven. And my experience has generally been that the apartment is cleaned before you come in.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:28 am
Lease generally state standard of what an apartment is to be left in. As I recall, my last lease said "broom clean". A standard disclaimer is to state "normal wear and tear" is permitted.

Landlords normally collect a security deposit equal to a month's rent - plus last month's rent and this amount is returned minus any expenses in terms of repairing the apartment. So typically three months rent is required when a lease is signed - first, last and security deposit.

meme6

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:48 am
A tenant has to leave an apartment broom swept.
But landlords never gave me a clean apartment I always had to clean them myself. I would say you should give an apartment broom swept you do not need to clean windows etc just get out the dust and leave it decent.

shmosmom

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:10 am
Sweep up well, landlords job to clean more thoroughly.
Although if they already have another tenant I'm curious what his motivation may be.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:54 am
After I moved out of my house, I wiped down all cabinets, fridge, etc...then I had the place painted and put in new flooring. Contractor cleaned up after himself. After that, I had my cleaning lady scrub the place for several hours - bathrooms, windows, fridge, floors, surfaces, etc....

I think the house was as clean as I could get it when tenants moved in.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:58 am
shmosmom wrote:
Sweep up well, landlords job to clean more thoroughly.
Although if they already have another tenant I'm curious what his motivation may be.

In Lakewood where it is sometimes difficult to get a tenant people try to keep their tenants happy so they only report good info to the next incoming tenant. Because of that people aren’t always as strict about wear and tear and security deposit. You want to keep a good name.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics