Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help should I be afraid?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:30 pm
We are away ATM. 2 yr old DD broke out in hives yesterday morning after eating a Greek yogurt. It seems like an allergic reaction. She has never had one before bH and as I far as I know she is sensitive to dairy (she gets yucky diapers when she drinks a lot of milk) but not allergic. Should I find a doctor ASAP or give Benadryl and just wait it out? She has no difficulty breathing BH. Thanks.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:31 pm
She broke out in hives yesterday?
How is she today?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:35 pm
What I have done in this case was give benedryl and call our pediatrician. He would decide if we should go to urgent care or if we can wait it out.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:36 pm
She has hives since yesterday morning? Give Benadryl and call pediatrician.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:54 pm
What they said

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 7:26 pm
The only symptom is the hives. I’m scared to give Benadryl to this child because the last time I gave it to her she went crazy. It is a medicine to strong for her system.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 7:40 pm
Did it had food coloring in it? My baby breaks out too from the food coloring they put in the flavored yogurts.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 8:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The only symptom is the hives. I’m scared to give Benadryl to this child because the last time I gave it to her she went crazy. It is a medicine to strong for her system.

Why can’t you call your pediatricians service and ask for guidance over the phone. Explain that you are traveling and not local. They can still advise you and tell you what to do and what to give your child.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 8:45 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Why can’t you call your pediatricians service and ask for guidance over the phone. Explain that you are traveling and not local. They can still advise you and tell you what to do and what to give your child.

This. Hives are extremely uncomfortable and they may tell you to give a smaller dose or a different medication. Please don't leave her like this without contacting your pediatrician.

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 8:49 pm
if its on chest or face give benadryl right away because it can turn into breathing episode from one minute to next. observe, if doesnt get better or gets worse or diff breathing, call ambulance & go to ER. In any case call your doctor what to do. Sometimes you can send pic to see what it is. poison ivy? measles? etc...

dankbar

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:54 am
Any update? How your child now? Did you have it diagnosed?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 1:27 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Did it had food coloring in it? My baby breaks out too from the food coloring they put in the flavored yogurts.

So interesting. But she eats other stuff with food coloring and other yogurts with it as well.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 1:28 am
dankbar wrote:
Any update? How your child now? Did you have it diagnosed?

Thanks so much for asking! I sent pictures of the rash to my pediatrician. He said it was a allergic reaction and I should give Zyrtec. I gave it two days ago and yesterday and it’s almost cleared up. No more itching.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 8:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So interesting. But she eats other stuff with food coloring and other yogurts with it as well.

Same with my baby. He can eat freeze pops without an issue but yogurt gives him a reaction.

hodeez

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 8:23 am
Next time please call the doctor right away, these things can escalate in the blink of an eye.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 8:27 am
Next time give benedryl immediately! The hives can block their breathing

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 8:29 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

That’s what I did. It was spreading to different parts of his body. When it was at his neck, Hatzolah insisted on taking him to the hospital but at that point Benadryl kicked in bh.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 12:59 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:

My daughter can’t handle Benadryl (think she’s basically allergic to it...) and I didn’t know what else to give her. I was away and was waiting for my doctors cellphone number so I could text him pictures. I sent the pictures to my mom and she said not to panic. I was still worried so I dropped a line here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics