Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Found odd as a child but now....
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:08 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
Being that my husband is a Dayan, I believe it when he tells me a Halacha..

Either your husband is following some outlandish non-mainstream opinion, or he is doing as Adam did and mixing up halacha and chumrah (though I'm not sure if this is even a legitimate chumrah or more of a personal thing).

merrygold

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:40 am
I was traveling with my married brother and sil. They were trying to get through to the rav and they were so tense about getting through to him. I couldn't figure out what the rush was. So you don't use the fork for another day, big deal. When I asked my brother what the big deal is he told me that I'll understand when I get older. I get it now big brother, I get it.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:42 am
I used to wonder where my mother was going in the evening when she went to "run an errand." I was a bit of a clueless child, though.

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:51 am
I was in a store with someone and I was trying to find colored tissues. We couldn't find any and she said, "it's fine, you don't always have to be so fancy and only have colored tissues!"

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:53 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I used to wonder where my mother was going in the evening when she went to "run an errand." I was a bit of a clueless child, though.

I don't think it's clueless... she could be going anywhere. As a parent, you don't have to tell your kids everywhere I go.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:01 am
momsrus wrote:
I found my mothers bedika cloths and though it was meant to clean your glasses with

My mom liked to sew so I asked her if they were sample swatches and she said LOL yes.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:04 am
Flip Flops wrote:
I don't think it's clueless... she could be going anywhere. As a parent, you don't have to tell your kids everywhere I go.

I'm talking about as a teenager, not just when I was younger. I knew that women went to the mikvah but somehow didn't associate it with my own mother.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:05 am
Flip Flops wrote:
I was in a store with someone and I was trying to find colored tissues. We couldn't find any and she said, "it's fine, you don't always have to be so fancy and only have colored tissues!"

If her Rav doesn't hold that toilet paper/tissues are mekabel tumah, then she probably doesn't know why someone would need colored tissues.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:52 am
I wasn't a child, but I didn't know the laws of taharas hamishpacha. When my sister had a baby I couldn't figure out why they were handing me the baby in between the two of them. I know not everyone holds like that, but they do.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:00 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
Being that my husband is a Dayan, I believe it when he tells me a Halacha..

It may be an opinion or a chumrah, but definitely not a Halacha. There are some who are noheg to never pass in public, but it is not the majority opinon.

Said as wife of husband in Kollel 20+ years with extensive learning and knowledge in these sugyos. He passes wine to me when I'm not niddah. If my kids pick up on it, they will know as adults that their parents kept the Halachos. And if we have guests who notice, they will know the same.

Rappel

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:10 am
"no standing anytime" signs

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
My relative is a dayan. His daughter cleaned up hid study one day and found a bag on women’s bloody panties!!!! All sizes! She was so mortified and no idea what to make of it. Took her a few years to understand.

I really hope my kids will feel comfortable to come and ask me. Not sure exactly what I would tell them in this situation but it would surly be better than what she could’ve imagined.

That’s really weird that he saved them all in a bag. What for? He should have dumped them as soon as he gave the psak

iluvdovi

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:30 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
That’s really weird that he saved them all in a bag. What for? He should have dumped them as soon as he gave the psak

Could be for teaching purposes. Like teaching Rabbanim how to paskin.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:35 am
iluvdovi wrote:
Could be for teaching purposes. Like teaching Rabbanim how to paskin.

If that’s the case, he better have gotten permission from each and every woman for their underwear to be kept and used for this purpose. Otherwise, completely not okay, appropriate, or honest. (And he should keep them somewhere where his family wont come across it!!)

groovy1224

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:37 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:

Could be that he got multiple pairs a day, and kept them in a bag to throw out and threw it out once the bag was full

SuperWify

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:39 am
When I was really little- I found it odd that my grandparents had only one bed. I thought only the non Jews who touched each other were able to sleep in the same bed 🙈

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:39 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Could be that he got multiple pairs a day, and kept them in a bag to throw out and threw it out once the bag was full
That’s a good explanation, and I hope that is what happened!

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:42 am
Carmen Luna wrote:
That's exactly why Halacha prohibits from passing wine over to a wife at any time. To avoid speculation if she's clean or not.

You may have misunderstood. This is not a halacha.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:43 am
Rappel wrote:
"no standing anytime" signs

LOL LOL LOL

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:45 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Same here, but he did it always and with everyone. Maybe so we wouldn't be able to tell anything. He would always say to put down whatever we gave him, not to hand it to him directly. It was very annoying and he still does it and my mother isn't even alive. He got used to it.

There’s an inyan to not hand challah directly to someone.
Page 2 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics