Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you and DH spend monthly if you have no kids?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:51 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
So I just checked some deals for this week in one store
Watermelon 39 cents a lb
1 pint of blueberries 2 for $3
Avocados 3 for $1
Peaches 69 cents a lb
Pears 59 cents a lb
Plums 79 cents a lb
Squash 59 cents a lb
Celery 69 cents a stalk
Italian peppers 59 cents a lb

This is 1 store. Not even a stand. This week.

This sounds insanely cheap. I live in Lakewood, the Jewish stores have Avacados for $2, so I drive to Walmart to get them for $1.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:52 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Yes, but that depends on what you consider a portion size. A piece of chicken or a quarter? A heaping spoonful of rice or half of the plate? How much of a box of pasta will you eat at a meal? Etc

Lol true.
So I make 3 chicken cutlets per person.. (so I'll take 2 and then take a 3rd plus more of the side dish finish the veggies etc..)
3 drumsticks per person...
For rice, If I make 1 cup rice it's too little so I probably make 1 and 1/2...

We actually don't really eat pasta..

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:55 am
I would consider that average. Not voracious.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:56 am
Emerald, exactly my point!
Also you can reheat these foods a time or two but they must be very dried out and old tasting by the third or fourth day.

I don't use leftovers. Period.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:56 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
We get very cheap prices on produce yes, but we don't do leftovers..

You said you make couscous and fish and dh eats it for lunch for 4-5 days.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 11:00 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
You said you make couscous and fish and dh eats it for lunch for 4-5 days.

Your confusing imas.. hi! I'm amother lavender, I'm the one who's been posting specific prices, & I don't do leftovers, even for the next night, (actually rarely do I have a diary pasta that I can serve another night, but we don't really eat pasta..) I mean chicken dishes.. I also don't make couscous..

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 11:08 am
(Also, I have a baby but it's a baby so still counts as buying for 2 adults..)

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 11:10 am
Whoever is able to lunch off of 2 pieces of fish for 4 days obviously has a very small appetite and doesn't care that much about taste. Some people just aren't that into food.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 11:53 am
Whoever is able to lunch off of 2 pieces of fish for 4 days obviously has a very small appetite and doesn't care that much about taste. Some people just aren't that into food.

What I don't understand is how people can stay full on that amount of food?
I'm average weight and always thought I had an average appetite, but I still eat a roll with 2 eggs for breakfast, a granola bar for snack, a wrap or salad for lunch and then a decent supper with protein, starch and veggies. Sometimes I'll have some chips or fruit in the evening too. Dh can finish 2 tuna sandwiches with veggies for lunch and he will be hungry a few hours later (and he's very skinny:) For some people here that sounds this would last them a week...

cuterpatooter

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:54 pm
Just throwing in a caveat that unless a person really tracks their bills, they won't be able to give a reliable estimate of their monthly expenses. Apart from all the smaller, easily forgotten expenses that really add up fast, we humans simply tend to assume we spend and save less than we actually do Smile
There are a lot of great apps that help track your spending easily. Highly recommend!

The first time we sat down to do a real budget breakdown was quite a wake-up call for me! B"H we were within our means but I had assumed we were spending a lot less than we actually were.

Also, the amother (lavender, right?) posting those cheap produce prices; WOW! I haven't seen an east coast avacado for that little in years! I'd love to get set up with your produce dealer lol.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics