Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Found odd as a child but now....
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:47 pm
My mother was preparing a basket of different things a lady might need for the bathroom of a simcha hall and I thought the pads were tiny diapers. I kept telling everyone how cute they were that they were so tiny.
Also, I never understood what it meant when I heard in the radio " you give us 22 minutes we'll give you the world"
I also remember playing in the crack between my parents beds and sometimes I could fit through and sometimes not but I didnt really think anything about it.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:51 pm
Rappel wrote:
"no standing anytime" signs

I don't get it

singleagain

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:52 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
My mother was preparing a basket of different things a lady might need for the bathroom of a simcha hall and I thought the pads were tiny diapers. I kept telling everyone how cute they were that they were so tiny.
Also, I never understood what it meant when I heard in the radio " you give us 22 minutes we'll give you the world"
I also remember playing in the crack between my parents beds and sometimes I could fit through and sometimes not but I didnt really think anything about it.

Omg. Yes. I had totally forgotten about you give us 22 minutes we give you the world! ... That did confuse me.

And same with the beds except. We used to climb all over and seperate the bed on purpose

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:59 pm
I used to think when you go to a store to buy something and you have money you pay for it but if you don't have money the store pays you (change)- I imagine I was very very small at the time.
That would really come in handy these days.

momsrus

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:17 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I don't get it

No standing sign is that your car can’t b there.

Not that you literally can’t stand there.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:27 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
There’s an inyan to not hand challah directly to someone.

Not for niddah purposes, though. It's because it's a siman of aveilus.

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:40 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
If her Rav doesn't hold that toilet paper/tissues are mekabel tumah, then she probably doesn't know why someone would need colored tissues.

She was a single friend, so I didn't really expect her to know all the details. I just had to try to stop myself from smirking when she said it.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:42 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

Actually, I think it's a siman of poverty. No issue in handing matzah from hand to hand, but we put challah down on the table or a tray rather than pass it.

When I was a kid, we passed an auto body shop that advertised "body parts" for sale. I had just learned to read and was appropriately horrified LOL

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:42 pm
momsrus wrote:
I found my mothers bedika cloths and though it was meant to clean your glasses with

My mother sewed and ordered different fabric swatches as samples before ordering that came in squares the same size as bedika cloths. I never understood why the white fabric swatches were in the bathroom and all the other fabric swatches were with the sewing supplies.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:44 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

We do this but I never knew why.
Anyone have a source? I'm curious now. Is it halacha or hashkafa? So many people think it's weird when we eat out and I refuse to take challah handed to me. DH never got why I did it either.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:15 pm
I always wondered how cars going in different directions can head straight at each other and not touch. I think I was 7 or 8 when I realized they drive on different sides of the yellow line

pause

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:02 pm
I won't tell you how old I was when I discovered that STOP - ALL WAY doesn't mean to stop all the way, even though I didn't know how one could stop but not all the way. TMI

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:07 pm
When I was a child I was found to be odd...

Now I'm older, but the jury's still out. Wink Drunken Smile Silly LOL Tongue Out

proudmomma

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:21 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Actual.

When I was a kid, we passed an auto body shop that advertised "body parts" for sale. I had just learned to read and was appropriately horrified LOL

When I was 7 I learned that collision means a crash/smash. There was an auto repair shop called Apple Collision & I thought that it was an applesauce factory ☺

I also asked my morah at 7 how nonjews can deny God's existence. Didn't they hear Him blow the shofar every erev Shabbos?!

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:31 pm
You can’t imagine what went through my mind when I saw a unisex salon. I don’t know why I didn’t comprehend the actual meaning but I was sure I can’t ask my mother about it.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:37 pm
I thought that the grammatically incorrect phrase "you need it bad" was actually a curse meaning it should be bad for the person.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:45 pm
pause wrote:
I won't tell you how old I was when I discovered that STOP - ALL WAY doesn't mean to stop all the way, even though I didn't know how one could stop but not all the way. TMI

I can tell you how old I was. 28. My husband kept on insisting that all the other stop signs you also had to stop the whole way. I don't know how I passed my driving test not knowing this.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:46 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
You can’t imagine what went through my mind when I saw a unisex salon. I don’t know why I didn’t comprehend the actual meaning but I was sure I can’t ask my mother about it.

I wonder if that was the place my mom walked into. She sat down, and told the hair dresser (very cute gay boy) that she wanted a blow job.

This guy was trying SO hard to be professional, but she thought he was going to do himself some serious harm if he didn't let that laughter out.

Then he quietly explained to her what she just said, and she wanted to die. embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

It's OK. She laughed about it for years later, and it became a great joke at cocktail parties. Cheers

ectomorph

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:46 pm
I thought unless it said stop all way, it was sufficient merely to slow down. Oddly enough I never got a ticket for this.

Einikel

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:47 pm
Post no Bills signs at construction sites.

I read it as post as in mail no bills asking for $
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics