Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Our beloved dog died 😞

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 12:00 am
I know many imas don’t have pets so it may be hard to empathize. But we had our dog for 13 years. So he lived a good long life. Last year he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. So we knew we were on borrowed time, but his meds kept him going until Sunday when his heart just gave out. My kids are devastated. They all grew up with him Crying DH and I are heartbroken. He was our loyal little buddy.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 12:02 am
I may not like pets, but I can still understand and empathize with others' attachment to their pets.

I remember crying when reading the Ramona book where the cat dies.

Hugs to you and your family. Sad Sounds like he lived a noble life and was well-loved.

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 12:06 am
Im so sad for you! Hugs! 13 years is a looong time so at least he was granted a long life to give you all joy.
When a friend's dog died, she had each child write a small note, and they made a mock "funeral" but it was more like a tribute, with pics, and the kids read what they wrote about what they loved about the dog. My friend said it was so cathartic for them. She also gave them each a picture with them and the dog.

Maybe it's something your family can try as well?

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 12:07 am
I am so sorry to hear that. I remember how sad we were when our parakeet died. My kids were devastated by that loss. But they did move on and have very fond memories of him.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 12:57 am
I am so very sorry. I've had pets all my life, and whether it's a dog or a goldfish, somehow it never gets easier.

I hope with time you can find a rescue dog who is just the perfect fit to help you heal your broken hearts.

In the meantime, know that there is no "right or wrong" way to feel about the loss of a pet.
Everyone's process is valid. Just be kind to yourself and your kids. It will be OK. Hug

crl

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 3:24 am
I’m sorry for your loss. My dog from childhood was put down a few years ago, we had him for 16 years. It’s so hard, pets become part of your family and losing them hurts so much. It also is hard to find people who relate because pets are less common, which can be isolating.

Hugs. ❤️

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:00 am
I am so sorry for your loss. A dog becomes a family member. My in laws lost their dog to a car accident a few years ago and my FIL was devastated. The dog was literally his best friend. He went through a grieving period of a few months. Baruch HaShem that passed and eventually they got another dog. It must be really tough for the kids too, maybe even more so. It is something to grieve over even though it’s not a human. The sadness will wear off with time.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know many imas don’t have pets so it may be hard to empathize. But we had our dog for 13 years. So he lived a good long life. Last year he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. So we knew we were on borrowed time, but his meds kept him going until Sunday when his heart just gave out. My kids are devastated. They all grew up with him Crying DH and I are heartbroken. He was our loyal little buddy.

Oh so so sad. Give yourselves time to mourn for your dear friend. So so sorry for your loss. I have been there.

CatLady

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:48 am
I'm so sorry for your loss. As a cat owner, I've been through this more than a few times. ((((Hugs))))

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:16 am
Some animals really bond with humans and while children bond with parents, the bond changes as the child matures and becomes more complex but a loyal pet will almost always continue to have the same bond with the owner. Animals have personalities which develop in response to people.
It's hard for frum families with lots of expenses and responsibilities to properly care for pets and there are hashkafas about elevating animals to almost human status but I think that some frum people would greatly benefit from having a pet if they can give it the proper care.
Anyway, I am sorry about the loss of your dog and I hope that you will be able to love a new pet eventually.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:21 am
Dogs are Hashems creation to. Baruch Dayon Emes. May your family be comforted in knowing that Hashem feels their pain too.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 9:07 am
I'm so sorry. You've probably heard that the Hebrew word for dog, kelev, means k'lev. They're tremendously loyal and easy to bond with. And there's a hashkafa principle that the more you give to and invest in something or someone, the stronger the connection.
Right now I'm reading Dave Barry's Lessons from Lucy, which, as Stephen King says, is for the dog-impaired too. It might not be a good time to read it, but it definitely helps others be fully empathetic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets