Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Coach to become a successful first time teacher

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:34 am
I am starting a new teaching career in September. Grade 9.

I taught second grade for one year 15 years ago.

I'd love to go to a class to learn tips and advice on discipline and how to deliver a lesson effectively...

I'm in Brooklyn. If you know of anyone I'd greatly appreciate a name and number.

Thanks!

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:41 am
How about just take some teaching courses? You have to be very careful with these "coaches". Your students deserve better.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:51 am
I dont know of any courses, but theres a great book called teach like a champion by doug lemov.

teachkids

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:53 am
Check if hidden Sparks can help you

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:58 am
Contact Torah umesorah. They have programs in place that can help you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 9:05 am
Thank you so so much for your replies!!!
Really helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:26 pm
Didn't really find what I was looking for.

Is there a teacher on these boards willing to teach me? I'm willing to pay.

polka dots

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:53 pm
There is a program, not sure how it’s called, that pairs up an experienced teacher with a teacher that’s starting out as a mentor.
It’s for people who haven’t gone to college and would’ve been eligible for some financial aid. They can use that money towards training to become a teacher. You get paired with a teacher who is currently teaching the same grade as you. You can be in contact with her throughout the year.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am starting a new teaching career in September. Grade 9.

I taught second grade for one year 15 years ago.

I'd love to go to a class to learn tips and advice on discipline and how to deliver a lesson effectively...

I'm in Brooklyn. If you know of anyone I'd greatly appreciate a name and number.

Thanks!

Can the school you are teaching in pair you up with a more experienced teacher there to help guide you?

smss

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:43 pm
First of all, I love that you are asking this. It shows that you are already a good teacher and will be"H become better and better Smile
This is a phenomenal, really all-inclusive training course: https://www.torahumesorah.org/.....tion/
If you can't make it live, they have videos of past years' trainings that you can buy instead.

Mrs. Chumi Levitansky is one of the presenters and I believe also does individual teacher coaching- I'm sure Torah Umesorah could give you her info.

Also, Teach Like a Champion is definitely worth the read (and re-read... I've probably read it at least 4 times).

Hatzlacha!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:07 pm
smss wrote:
First of all, I love that you are asking this. It shows that you are already a good teacher and will be"H become better and better Smile
This is a phenomenal, really all-inclusive training course: https://www.torahumesorah.org/.....tion/
If you can't make it live, they have videos of past years' trainings that you can buy instead.

Mrs. Chumi Levitansky is one of the presenters and I believe also does individual teacher coaching- I'm sure Torah Umesorah could give you her info.

Also, Teach Like a Champion is definitely worth the read (and re-read... I've probably read it at least 4 times).

Hatzlacha!!

ok, I'll get myself a copy of that book asap. and the link for that training course seems to be exactly what I've been looking for!

Thank you so much!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:08 pm
polka dots wrote:
There is a program, not sure how it’s called, that pairs up an experienced teacher with a teacher that’s starting out as a mentor.
It’s for people who haven’t gone to college and would’ve been eligible for some financial aid. They can use that money towards training to become a teacher. You get paired with a teacher who is currently teaching the same grade as you. You can be in contact with her throughout the year.

such a good idea! Ill try finding out more about this! This may be very helpful!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:10 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Can the school you are teaching in pair you up with a more experienced teacher there to help guide you?

it's a good idea, however, I'm not ready to show my colleagues how insecure I am:)

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 5:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
it's a good idea, however, I'm not ready to show my colleagues how insecure I am:)

It is so normal to need support at the beginning. I am quite experienced in my teaching. I’m changing to a different grade and school for this year. The school is paying for someone in the same position to give me some time now to help me set myself up and will be able to answer some questions. And in my previous job I trained in many people. It’s not embarrassing, it’s so normal to need some help at the beginning.

polka dots

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 5:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
such a good idea! Ill try finding out more about this! This may be very helpful!

It’s called sayan
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics