Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Minhag re Outfit Baby Leaves Hospital In
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 10:58 am
Weird question and wasn't sure where to post, exactly. I've heard that there's a minhag to be sure that the outfit that baby is wearing home from the hospital, is new (as opposed to hand me down/gemach)? BH, I can afford a new outfit but mentioned it to my sister and she said she never heard of that, but I'm pretty sure I did. Thoughts?

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 10:59 am
I never ever heard of such a thing.

simba

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:00 am
Never heard

groovy1224

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:01 am
Doesn't really make sense that there would be such a minhag- hospital births are a more 'modern' thing so the whole concept of the outfit you take the baby home in is too new for there to even be a custom for it.

Just don't forget the pom pom hat. That is straight up HALACHA.

octopus

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:02 am
never heard of it

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:03 am
I’ve never heard of such a thing. All my kids wore hand me downs when they came home from the hospital besides for my last baby.

jmom1

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:04 am
I heard of it but don’t know if it’s really a minhag or has a source.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:04 am
I heard an old wives tale that one article should be new. So I put a new undershirt.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:05 am
If there is such a minhag, I can't imagine it's an old one. Many of our grandparents were born at home (as opposed to in a hospital) and many could not afford new clothes for a baby.

I never fussed much about the outfit I took my girls home in. Something soft, with a blanket wrapped around it.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:09 am
Never heard of this

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:13 am
There must’ve been a meticulous Bubby out there that insisted that the new baby come home wearing something new and so it was passed down and someone in the family tree assumed it was a minhag.
For example, I had a sister in law who literally got bent out of shape when she heard my baby was going to wear a light blue velour stretchie to his Vacht Nacht. She literally travelled two hours , shopped for a sweater set with matching blanket, socks and hat to come “rescue” my poor baby from such terrible atrocities. How could I even THINK of putting on a plain stretchie on my baby for this special occasion. That was her priority and made it like it was Toras Moshe Misinai.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:16 am
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter thunderstorm, you're reminding me when my mom made a vach nacht for baby #13 kh and he was wearing a stretchie. My aunt's almost didn't let her live it down. We still laugh about it years later.
The funny thing is, she buys all grandsons a vach nacht "outfit".

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:24 am
I asked my Rav about it, he said its complete narish. And he added doesn't make sense that in Europe they were makpid to get a new outfit per baby when everyone was so poor and wore hand-me-downs.
My oldest got new because we had nothing and that particular outfit (unisex) was saved and used for every baby to come home in. Our own little family minhag Wink.

essie14

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:45 am
Never heard of such a thing.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 12:30 pm
I don't think there is such a minhag.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 12:31 pm
Maybe so when you look at pictures down the line you know which kid it was based on the outfits?

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 12:33 pm
Can we please stop making up minhagim? Please? This is like cutting off the end of a roast before cooking it.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 12:34 pm
There couldn't be anything like that old enough to actually qualify as the halachik definition of a minhag. Anything that's old enough to be a real minhag is older than babies being born in hospitals LOL

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:21 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
There must’ve been a meticulous Bubby out there that insisted that the new baby come home wearing something new and so it was passed down and someone in the family tree assumed it was a minhag.
For example, I had a sister in law who literally got bent out of shape when she heard my baby was going to wear a light blue velour stretchie to his Vacht Nacht. She literally travelled two hours , shopped for a sweater set with matching blanket, socks and hat to come “rescue” my poor baby from such terrible atrocities. How could I even THINK of putting on a plain stretchie on my baby for this special occasion. That was her priority and made it like it was Toras Moshe Misinai.

How do we know that any of the older minhagim didn't start off in the same fashion? Bobby or Zeidy decided to make an emphasis on something and it evolved from there.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:08 pm
Yeah hun in the alte welt our bubbies bought at the mall a whole fancy wardrobe for every new baby
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics