Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Minhag re Outfit Baby Leaves Hospital In
Previous  1  2  3  Next

simcha2

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:15 pm
As one of my rebbetzins used to say "it's yiddishkeit, no need to make a religion out of it! "

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 2:41 pm
Well......
Odd or not we actually do have a minhag that first thing baby wears is something new. Not the leaving the hospital one.
Can't answer more because I've just happily gone along with this minhag

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 3:08 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Well......
Odd or not we actually do have a minhag that first thing baby wears is something new. Not the leaving the hospital one.
Can't answer more because I've just happily gone along with this minhag

Love all the responses, esp the humor.
Thank you, mustard.
Ha - to my sister reading this- knew I wasn't totally AND absolutely crazy!!

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 3:11 pm
When my grandmother gave birth, women spent 3 weeks in the hospital and they had to supply their own baby clothes and cloth diapers which had to be prepared ahead of time.
I can imagine a frum juvenile clothing company inventing a new minhag.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 3:34 pm
In my family, Grandma happily put herself in charge of purchasing a going-home outfit for the new babies. Not a minhag, just a personal preference, but I could see how it could turn into a tradition.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 5:15 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
There must’ve been a meticulous Bubby out there that insisted that the new baby come home wearing something new and so it was passed down and someone in the family tree assumed it was a minhag.
For example, I had a sister in law who literally got bent out of shape when she heard my baby was going to wear a light blue velour stretchie to his Vacht Nacht. She literally travelled two hours , shopped for a sweater set with matching blanket, socks and hat to come “rescue” my poor baby from such terrible atrocities. How could I even THINK of putting on a plain stretchie on my baby for this special occasion. That was her priority and made it like it was Toras Moshe Misinai.

Lol! Reminds me when I self catered a small family simcha and someone was horrified that I didn't use centerpieces!

tweety1

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 5:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Weird question and wasn't sure where to post, exactly. I've heard that there's a minhag to be sure that the outfit that baby is wearing home from the hospital, is new (as opposed to hand me down/gemach)? BH, I can afford a new outfit but mentioned it to my sister and she said she never heard of that, but I'm pretty sure I did. Thoughts?

Yes! My in laws were very makpid on this. Not all her kids do so cuz not everybody can afford it. My in laws were also makpid on a new undershirt.
TO ALL LADIES ON IMAMOTHER:
Just cuz you never heard of it doesn't make it "an old wives tale" or whatever else you wanna call it. Should I start bashing all different kind of minhagim I learned abt on here?? Guaranteed I'll never finish. Either don't answer or simply say "never heard of it" and move on. I can not stand this attitude that I've seen on here countless times. Somebody post any a minhag and gets bashed, "balogny", "doesn't make sense", and what not.
In case your wondering my hub doesn't follow it doesn't matter why.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 5:41 pm
Our minhag is (and I'm not kidding) the exact opposite. It has to be something used. My mother always reminds me to prepare something from my previous infants. By my first she came to the hospital and brought one of the stretchies I wore as a baby because that's the only used thing she had. Compress

Eta: ok it's not really a minhag. I can't think of the right word... help me out...

cozyblanket

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 5:57 pm
I've heard if it and I was always skeptical.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 6:01 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Eta: ok it's not really a minhag. I can't think of the right word... help me out...

Family tradition

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 6:01 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Doesn't really make sense that there would be such a minhag- hospital births are a more 'modern' thing so the whole concept of the outfit you take the baby home in is too new for there to even be a custom for it.

Just don't forget the pom pom hat. That is straight up HALACHA.

LOL LOL

One that I broke twice, then.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 6:18 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
LOL LOL

One that I broke twice, then.

You mean you actually went out in public with no pom pom? For one grandchild I was sent on an urgent mission to Town Square Mall because no Monsey baby leaves the hospital in just any hat, like the kind that Designer Spot in the Atrium sells for a dollar.
I wonder if this year the trend will keep up because I saw the neighbor baby without his pom pom and want to know what is going on here.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 6:22 pm
southernbubby wrote:
You mean you actually went out in public with no pom pom? For one grandchild I was sent on an urgent mission to Town Square Mall because no Monsey baby leaves the hospital in just any hat, like the kind that Designer Spot in the Atrium sells for a dollar.
I wonder if this year the trend will keep up because I saw the neighbor baby without his pom pom and want to know what is going on here.

The only time either of my babies wore a pompom hat was when my sister bought one for my infant son and put it on him without asking me. I thought he looked like a girl.

I'm not a big fan of the done things if I don't like how they look!

dankbar

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:10 pm
Ive heard of such a thing that new baby wears a new thing but then there are other communities where minhag is opposite. No set clothes for newborn till 30 days so no stretchies, only no feet sack type of thing with a drawstring usually. no set bed so they sleep first month in a drawer etc.

dankbar

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:12 pm
Thunderstorm actually stretchies for vachnacht is very in now. Sweater sets with matching knit blankets is out of style now

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:28 pm
We have the minhag that the first thing the baby wears should be new so we buy a new undershirt. Not sure where the minhag originated

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:30 pm
dankbar wrote:
Ive heard of such a thing that new baby wears a new thing but then there are other communities where minhag is opposite. No set clothes for newborn till 30 days so no stretchies, only no feet sack type of thing with a drawstring usually. no set bed so they sleep first month in a drawer etc.

I'm guessing this is related to the practice of not preparing for the baby before birth. It can take a while - even months - to get the baby furniture delivered if you do not finalize the sale until after giving birth. Similarly, if you don't have a helpful friend/family member, you might not have any new baby clothing until you can go shopping. The nightgowns simplify new-baby care. Our "minhag" of a going-home outfit (see above) started with the need for car-seat compatible clothing with bifurcated legs; otherwise, we would have used only nightgowns too.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:30 pm
dankbar wrote:
Thunderstorm actually stretchies for vachnacht is very in now. Sweater sets with matching knit blankets is out of style now

So look how shticky I am. I was “ahead” of the trend already 13 years ago! Very Happy

dankbar

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:42 pm
No the minhag of no clothes/bed is because till 30 days its not considered yet a baby, it still could turn out to be a nefel chas vsholom. That was in olden times, where nobody was certain & guaranteed that baby will actually survive. By 30 days its was considered officially a living human

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Love all the responses, esp the humor.
Thank you, mustard.
Ha - to my sister reading this- knew I wasn't totally AND absolutely crazy!!

Dear OP,
I gave your post a hug! You went totally crazy a long time ago!
Love,
Your sister
P.S. I love you!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics