Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Feeling discouraged: working out for the first time

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:21 am
So I really have never worked out a day in my life. Was always thin when I was single, didn't matter what I ate. With every baby I held on to a bit more weight and now after 3 kids I just am so unhappy with my body and finally decided to do something about it.

Just did my first workout DVD and...I was winded after 2 minutes. I know it's normal, and I know I have to stick with it but right now just feeling like such a blob Sad couldn't come close to doing the exercises properly and I just want to return the DVD and forget it.

Would really appreciate some encouragement. I know I probably sound so dramatic but I'm feeling really down about myself right now Sad

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:23 am
It's actually better to start off slowly with shorter workouts and modified exercise than to jump right in. Instead of feeling discouraged, you'll notice your progress as you become stronger and able to do more.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:38 am
Hey, don't give up! It's normal to feel this way the first time but it will get better and if you keep to it you will see major results! Exercising makes a huge difference!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:40 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
It's actually better to start off slowly with shorter workouts and modified exercise than to jump right in. Instead of feeling discouraged, you'll notice your progress as you become stronger and able to do more.

I definitely did the modifications, was just disheartening how much I had to modify. I really just expected way too much of myself, but it's a blow to my self confidence nonetheless.

ima22

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 3:39 am
Be proud that you had the courage to do something new and difficult! Consistency Will yeild results faster than you think - keep,at it, you already did the hardest part by starting!

ladYdI

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:08 am
Keep it up you should start felling stronger every day
You can also strengthen yourself but adding some extra walking and using the steps every day
I really should copy you and do the same!!

West End Tova

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:17 am
Try not to be discouraged. Remember that all beginnings are hard.

yc

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:27 am
no need to get down about it! its only normal that when you're not in shape it will be hard at the beg. no matter if you're thin or not. I have been exercising for years now, and still need to modify some things. it takes time but it is so worth it. don't despair!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:36 am
I can relate. I also never excersized but feel I need to now...I just went and bought a treadmill. Forcing myself to start with 15-20 minutes a day.

giselle

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:36 am
I remember when I began running, I couldn’t run for one whole minute. It gave me a big headache. I eventually went on to run marathons. I experienced this with different workout routines as well. Keep at it and it will get easier!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:10 am
Start small. I found a 15 minute beginners workout on YouTube without overextending - no jumping type stuff. Build your strength slowly.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:11 am
Thanks everyone. As much as I know it's normal it really helps to know it's not just me.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:20 am
You got this!!!
The first time you do a workout, your muscles will be screaming. But then you will get used to it, and you'll look back and be like "haha remember when I couldn't do that?"

Can I recommend blogilates? She has these easy and fun 10 min videos on YouTube. And she has a really cute personality and she talks to you the entire time. I look forward to doing her videos every day!

Debbig

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:21 am
It’s totally normal. Don’t give up. When I first started exercising I could not do more then 5/10 min now I do 30 or 40 minutes everyday & feel amazing because of it. (For more then a year now)
I can keep up with my kids like never before.
Keep at it it takes some time to build you body up but it is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:25 am
Congrats on working out! I have been working out for almost a year now and every time I have an off day or even week I remind myself that even the greatest authors sometimes sit down and have writers block. It’s just about getting in the chair. So as long as your working out you will see you’ll have ups and downs. Just make it into a lifestyle and don’t be so harsh on yourself. Expect to have challenges!
Good luck!

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:27 am
You might want to check the level of the video you're doing. If it's intense and advanced, switched to something easier. If you do the workout 3x a week, after two weeks you'll be much better at it. You will really see a difference in your body after 6 weeks, though there will be improvement before that. So it's a matter of sticking with it. But again, don't start with something too hard. Not only is it discouraging, but you can injure yourself.
Good luck. You did the hardest thing already - you started.

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:18 am
Not just you! It’s totally normal. You will definitely improve if you do this consistently. It’s actually amazing to see how much you improve in the beginning

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:38 am
You got some great suggestions already. I'll just add that you should try to loosen up before your workout and it might feel better during. By "loosen up" I mean do a few stretches and a few jumping Jack's or burpees, so that your limbs aren't too stiff. Good luck. The first steps are the hardest. It gets easier.

Also, wear cute workout clothes and work out in front of a mirror if possible. That always makes me feel good, even if my performance is blah.

ces

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:56 am
I started working out last November,a few months after my baby was born. At the beginning I could barely get through a class. I would feel sore for days after even a beginner's class. I couldn't hold a plank for more than 5 seconds. But I kept going, because consistency is key, and I saw it as a challenge to get myself to be one of the best in every class, no matter how long it would take me to achieve that. My competitive nature definitely helped! I also gradually increased from exercising once a week to currently exercising daily. As of May or June I'm comfortably at the top or among the top for most of my group classes, and I added strength training on my own on top of my class schedule.

Don't let yourself get discouraged and stop! See it as a challenge, keep pushing, keep it consistent even when you're not in the mood, and you'll see amazing results faster than you think!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise