Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
To basement or not?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 1:22 am
Hi so Here's my dilema would appreciate any advice,
I'm moving to a new country and debating between these 2 options
Option 1 to move to a basement for the first year or so because that's what we're able to afford or option 2 move to a regular apartment and be very tight money wise,
my reasoning for option 2 is that we are moving to a new country and have so much to get use to and the kids as well that we won't know if the adjustment is hard due to a new place or the fact we are living in a basement,hope I am being clear, any advice, tips or been there done that experience?

mig100

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 1:28 am
I think there r a lot of factors to take into consideration when choosing apartment-- not just if it's a basement or not.

Personally I loved my first basement apartment so I don't see the big deal.

I'd think it's the least of difficult things to get used to

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 1:30 am
OP, fwiw, many people are okay with basements. For me, it's prolonging my PPD. I wish I could get out of my basement, but I'm sticking it out for similar financial reasons.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 1:39 am
How old are your kids?
For older kids, living in a basement might be difficult. (Having friends over etc)
Also what type of basements? If they’re with very small windows (as opposed to walk-in which can have quite large windows in part) it can literally become depressing from lack of light, plus colder than higher up.
Also would you get stuck in a basement? Would this only be for a short-term? This could make a difference too

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 1:46 am
It's a decent basement but we are coming from a single family house so it will definitely be hard also oldest child is 13

rowo

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 1:51 am
If you would plan on moving in a year or so, also take into consideration the costs of moving.
I don’t know what rent is like where you are, but your savings of a few thousand dollars over the year in the basement might just be eaten up by the move.

mig100

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 1:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's a decent basement but we are coming from a single family house so it will definitely be hard also oldest child is 13

This info changes the situation. A Lot. I take back my previous post.

R u saying u r currently living in an entire house??

In that case moving to a basement sounds very tough.

thankuhashem1

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 2:02 am
I agree to mig100 u should please not go to a basement....
the adjustment of moving to a new place, new school and everything... is hard enough hasheem will send you the money you need no need to worry now.
wishing you a lot of menuchas hanefesh and tons of strength and of course s`so ya d`shmya

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 3:31 am
If you move to a basement, make sure there is no black mold (there almost always will be). Mold toxicity affects behavior in huge ways, as well as basically poisoning you.

Then there's the creepy crawly bugs you have to deal with. Surprised

The amount of light will be a huge factor, as well as whether or not you will have access to a back yard.

Some basements can be huge and airy, with access to the yard. Others can be damp pits of despair. I would only consider it with extreme caution.

Take an upper level if you can at all afford it.

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:56 am
I lived in a basement garden apartment for about 2 years. It was lovely, and freshly gutted and renovated. It was still hard and depressing because of the lack of light.

mig100

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:23 am
thankuhashem1 wrote:
I agree to mig100 u should please not go to a basement....
the adjustment of moving to a new place, new school and everything... is hard enough hasheem will send you the money you need no need to worry now.
wishing you a lot of menuchas hanefesh and tons of strength and of course s`so ya d`shmya

Not exactly what I said..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating