Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
7 year old in the front seat?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:05 am
I live in a place without school buses.

My 7 year old's ride to school this year just fell through. I found someone else who can take DC, but only has a front seat available.

I did some Googling, and it's not against the law, although the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends waiting until about 9.

DC's weight is about 44 lbs. Would it be terrible id DC sat in a front seat for 2 miles to school? I am at a loss here!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:07 am
No!! A 44 pounder can be suffocated by an air bag chas vishalom, chas v'chalila.

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:09 am
I haven't googled it but I am surprised you found the age of 9 to be recommended. I know it used to be over 12 for the front seat.

L25

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:10 am
I wouldn't do it. many accidents happen close to home...
where I live I think it's 13.
In Australia for example its not illegal but they recommend waiting until over 12. supposedly if all your seats are full in the back then you can even have 5 year old in front. having a full car doesn't make it any safer....

Last edited by L25 on Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:10 am
Did you Google your state's laws? This is a state-by-state law, not a federal law.

Also, it may not be illegal, but it's very dangerous for a child under age 12 if the airbag deploys ch'v.

simcha2

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:14 am
In lots of places children have to be in a booster until at least 8. You can't have a booster in the front seat.

I wouldn't do it.

bobeli

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:37 am
What are your alternate options?
I say take it and at the same time look for someone else to give him a ride

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:37 am
Never. We sat up front from very young as kids, but there were no airbags then. Too dangerous. I don't even let my 12 yr old who is underweight and small for his age.

merrygold

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:43 am
Playing devil's advocate here- let's say that the airbag is turned off. Would all the mothers concerned about airbags now be fine with said child sitting in the front?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:44 am
merrygold wrote:
Playing devil's advocate here- let's say that the airbag is turned off. Would all the mothers concerned about airbags now be fine with said child sitting in the front?

Nope, I wouldn't. A 7-year-old should still be in a booster seat, not sitting in front. A 44-pound kid is too little.

If you told me that it was a 10-year-old who's tall and sturdy, that might be a different story.

Also, 2 miles is not a ride around the corner.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:48 am
Never! In my state they say to wait until 13. My 7 year old is still in a 5 point harness & my 10 year old in a booster, just following the safety recommendations not being overly cautious.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 11:49 am
No. My 9 year old ways 65 lb and I was told not to yet.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:18 pm
I do it. It’s ok according to the law and the law errs on the side of caution. My kids love it.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:19 pm
good for you blue! are your 10 year old's friends still in boosters also? My oldest dd is very big for her age so she's out of a booster seat but it was hard when she was the only one of her friend still in one and they are all so much smaller then her...

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:30 pm
We waited until DD was 12, but she was still well under 5 feet tall, so we waited a bit longer than that. (At 16, she's only 5'1", and is learning to drive with a booster seat under her so she can see over the dashboard!)

Most car accidents happen within 5 miles of your home. Just because something is 2 miles away, does not mean that it's safe.

L25

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:32 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I do it. It’s ok according to the law and the law errs on the side of caution. .

what makes you think this? . have you looked in to the safety it?

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 1:24 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
I do it. It’s ok according to the law and the law errs on the side of caution. My kids love it.

My state does not have a law about this, but they have a recommendation, and that is no child below age 12 in the front seat. I don't think that just because there's no law it makes it safe. Laws are complicated and very often NOT a reflection of safe practice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics