Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
English Names
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Do you have an "English" Legal name?
Yes - Totally Different Name  
 18%  [ 30 ]
Yes - Similar Name  
 17%  [ 27 ]
No - Legal name matches my Hebrew name  
 56%  [ 89 ]
Ish - My legal first/middle name matches and the other name does not  
 7%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 158

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:17 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
No difference whatsoever between Jonathan and Jacob. Both are translations of Hebrew names.
VERY BIG difference if you're talking about John which is a Christian name.

What if you're named Johnathan. But don't like it and want to be called John? Is that wrong?

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:18 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Very interesting.
So Je-sus originates from Joshua. Who woulda thunk? (Still, if you name your child Yehoshua, give him the English name translation - Joshua and not Je-sus which is a derivative.)

I guess it's all more complicated than I thought.

Of course Yeshu had a Jewish name! He was Jewish!
According to wiki it seems like the Rabbis changed his appellation to Yeshu as a sort of symbolic gesture stripping him of his Jewish identity
I still think that as frum Jews in 2019, it's a good idea to avoid English names that are canonically Christian or Muslim (known for belonging to famous figures of that religion)

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:18 am
singleagain wrote:
What if you're named Johnathan. But don't like it and want to be called John? Is that wrong?

I once knew a guy named Jono maybe we can bring that into style as an extra chumra LOL

cbsp

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:28 am
urban gypsy wrote:
This is fun, let's debate Susan / Shoshanna

What's the shaylah?

I visited this location in Seville. I (erroneously?) assumed her name had been Shoshana...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....3%B3n

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:50 am
singleagain wrote:

There are many people with the nickname Jon. That's how you know that it's short for Jonathan... cause it doesn't have the H.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:05 am
My name is the same in any language, first and middle name. It was important for me to do the same thing with my kids. Yes not everyone can pronounce my kids names correctly. But those are their names. We chose them because they are important and special and meaningful and beautiful. Convenience doesn't play into it.

Side note, from a logistical perspective, it is MUCH easier having the same name. My whole family has dual citizenship and until dh legally changed his name in his birth country, his passport there listed his English name. Since plane tickets have to match the passport/s, he had to list every name on each passport. His tickets had to say six names! Definitely didn't want that trouble for my kids.

nchr

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:53 am
urban gypsy wrote:
You make a good point. English names and nicknames of spouses and their parents are written into a Get for this reason.
I think they are included so that the person would be identifiable by anyone. In fact, there is a BT whose fathers engli name only was on the get because he isn't called his Hebrew name and no one knows it
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics