Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Son needs two teeth removed for braces OR headgear WHICH?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 5:07 pm
I went to 2 orthodontists for consultations. One said remove 2 top teeth and then he will put braces on. He said the upper teeth are too forward so removing the teeth will help have more space and then braces can push the teeth back. (My dentist who I trust did say he can remove the teeth if the orthodontist refers his 2 teeth to be removed.)

The other orthodontist says he wants my son to wear a headgear and biplate for a year before braces. He says the headgear will push the teeth back and he doesnt think its best to remove teeth.

I dont trust him bec he gets more $ from me if he does headgear first. But, if I remove 2 teeth, its much cheaper for me and less $ for him.

Also, online ppl said if they didnt remove teeth then later their wisdom teeth came and there was no room so they caused the teeth to shift again(needing braces again).
I also heard a headgear may alter facial structure.

Did anyone (or ur kids) have this such that you removed teeth (on top) or wore headgear??

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 5:09 pm
What kind of headgear? How old is the child?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 5:13 pm
I didn’t even know headgear was still a thing. My inclination would be to pull the teeth and get on with it. A year of headgear sounds absolutely annoying. But I’m not an orthodontist so perhaps in this case best thing is to get a 3rd opinion.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 5:26 pm
Headgear? No way, not if you want your son to have any kind of social life.

Which teeth does the first dentist recommend removing?

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 5:31 pm
Please clarify if the headgear is for nighttime only or full time wear.

Unfortunately I would go for a 3rd opinion. Unnecessary pulling of healthy teeth is a big deal.

Another thing to consider is sleep issue--if your child is a light sleeper or has difficulty falling or staying asleep the headgear migh really be a difficult adjustment

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 5:46 pm
My son had 2 teeth out and then braces. Quick and simple. The other option sounds awful!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 6:21 pm
Thanks for replying. My son is 12 and I am not sure the exact type headgear but he would have to wear it after school and at night (a total of at least 14 hrs a day).

He also needs biplate with headgear so its a lot for him.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 6:22 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
Please clarify if the headgear is for nighttime only or full time wear.

Unfortunately I would go for a 3rd opinion. Unnecessary pulling of healthy teeth is a big deal.

Another thing to consider is sleep issue--if your child is a light sleeper or has difficulty falling or staying asleep the headgear migh really be a difficult adjustment

Great point!! Im going for a 3rd opinion.

You are correct it will probably prevent him from sleeping well.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 6:23 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
My son had 2 teeth out and then braces. Quick and simple. The other option sounds awful!

Thanks. Yes, the headgear and biplate does sound awful.

flower2

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 6:24 pm
No way would I do headgear

Window

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 6:25 pm
How likely is he to even wear the headgear? 2 of my siblings had and they never used it

Iymnok

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 6:28 pm
I had all four incisors removed when I got braces. My orthodontist is of the opinion that usually there is no need for headgear. My bite was fixed with rubber bands that pulled my lower jaw.
My wisdom teeth started coming through a couple days later.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 6:38 pm
I wouldn't pull healthy teeth.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:24 pm
Two of my kids got expanders. It did affect their speech a bit, but its worth it. We went to 2 places for an opinion. One wanted to pull and the other said expanders.

My dd wore headgear for a few months, but only at night.

Dh had teeth removed and he is ok. But his sister also had teeth removed and she had alot of space in her mouth as an adult.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:32 pm
Headgear because removing teeth does not necessarily allign teeth with the jaw in a healthy manner. When teeth are pulled or braces are done later in life, it is more like that the individual will suffer from TMJ (because you adjusted the teeth, but not the over bite/jaw) and also have teeth move later (even with retainers - but less likely with a permanent retainer).

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jul 05 2021, 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:28 pm
Is this baby or adult teeth?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:58 pm
I had four adult teeth removed as a kid.

My kids inherited my crowded jaw and underbite. I've only treated one so far. He wore a headgear at night for about a year with a palate expander, and it did the trick. He'll still need braces, but so did I! It wasn't pleasant for the first couple of weeks and the first few times we adjusted it, but he did just fine with it and he was quite a bit younger than your son.

Interesting about the TMJ, I've had it for years. I hope the kids can avoid it.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:59 pm
Oh my gosh headgear during the day?? At school?? Nooooooo I really hope you dont have to do that.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:39 pm
I had teeth pulled, had braces, and headgear. I wore it while sleeping for a long time as a kid. At least a year I think. No one knew I had headgear unless I had a sleepover but my friends weren't really into that.
You can sleep on your side even- just do two side by side pillows and slide the metal bar between them. Like this: --/--. Tylenol the first day after adjustments done.
I preferred the headgear over getting teeth pulled.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:07 pm
sky wrote:
Is this baby or adult teeth?

I think this is adult teeth. I mean if he is 12 wouldnt he have all adult teeth??

Thanks everyone for responding.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics