Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Scared to go off on his own

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 3:43 pm
DH is a multitalented person BH. He discovered a niche that he’s good at and is necessary in our community and would LOVE to open his own business. Problem is, we struggle financially and he is scared to leave his good steady paying job. The new business would be virtually no overhead and it’s something he had success with when trying it out on a smaller scale. Should I encourage him to take the plunge, and if yes how? I respect the fact that he wants to provide and I appreciate it a lot I just think he would be so much happier on his own.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 3:49 pm
Get a job in meantime to take the pressure off him and tell him it's temporary. Save up your money

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 3:51 pm
If you have savings to live off of until his business takes off, sure.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 3:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DH is a multitalented person BH. He discovered a niche that he’s good at and is necessary in our community and would LOVE to open his own business. Problem is, we struggle financially and he is scared to leave his good steady paying job. The new business would be virtually no overhead and it’s something he had success with when trying it out on a smaller scale. Should I encourage him to take the plunge, and if yes how? I respect the fact that he wants to provide and I appreciate it a lot I just think he would be so much happier on his own.

He should try setting up the news business but not leave his current job! If it takes off and it looks like it’s going well, he can always quit then, but should not do so in advance.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 3:59 pm
He should start working on the new thing without giving up his current job. This is what most people do. Help him out if you can. Once you start seeing potential, he can leave his job.
We have the opposite problem, DH is ready to go out on his own, I'm too afraid.

ellacoe

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 4:59 pm
It might help him to break it down a little. What would he need in order for it to be viable, I.e. X amount of sales, or customers or whatever his benchmark is. How long does he think it would take him to get there. What would he need to do in order to get there? By seeing it spelled out clearly it might make it easier to plan and then take the next steps.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 5:50 pm
What some of the other posters here said. Your DH should not leave his full-time job until he's tested the waters enough to know that his business will provide the parnasa you need.

He can start it on the side and ease into it if it's working out. I know many people who started their business this way.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 6:41 pm
This sounds like a type of personal services business - with your husband being the sole service provider. Has he figured out if people are willing to pay enough for this service on an hourly basis to make it viable for full time work for him? (even if he charges 'per project' - there still is an hourly rate amount once he figures out how long a project takes him to do).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics