Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Measles

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 5:33 am
12:22
El Al flight attendant dies five months after contracting measles
Tuesday, August 13, 2019
An El Al flight attendant who contracted measles during a flight five months ago has passed away.

(Arutz Sheva news)

BDE

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 5:35 am
BDE

Mad Crying Banging head

THIS DID NOT HAVE TO HAPPEN.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 5:36 am
BDE.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 7:39 am
Baruch Dayan Emet. How awful.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 7:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
BDE

Mad Crying Banging head

THIS DID NOT HAVE TO HAPPEN.

My understanding was that the government run health department didn't have enough vaccines to give people in risky jobs a second dose.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:31 am
Oh no BDE!
And someone from NY was just telling me yesterday how the measles scare is gone!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:41 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Oh no BDE!
And someone from NY was just telling me yesterday how the measles scare is gone!

BH, the number of new reported cases has slowed down!

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 1:23 am
And then there's this:

https://www.breakingisraelnews.....sles/

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 1:38 am
southernbubby wrote:
BH, the number of new reported cases has slowed down!

My baby had fever for 5 days and then developed a rash. She has white dots on the tip of her tongue. A runny nose. I I took her to 2 Dr's and both refused to take a blood test to see if it's measles. One Dr told me to take a blood test in 2 weeks when she is all better. I think the Dr's are paranoid of having to report and keeping their place shut down for a certain amount of hours so they can refuse to test for it.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 1:40 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
And then there's this:

https://www.breakingisraelnews.....sles/

1. I am very vaccine hesitant. Most of my kids received no more than one or two vaccines. I did not give the MMR at all until the outbreak began and my choice was no longer strictly personal.

2. However, those who are too much in denial to admit that measles can kill people, are no better than the CDC who are in denial that vaccines can kill people.

3. The article says (for those who didn't read it) that "she didn't die of measles, she died from a hospital-acquired infection." However, she HAD to be hospitalized, was comatose, and if it wasn't this infection, it would have been another. Do you think comatose patients survive forever? That's like saying, "He didn't die of the flu, he died of pneumonia [which came from the flu]."

4. Yes, this flight attendant had one MMR. That neither proves nor disproves anything. Even according to the most optimistic estimates, 1 in 33 people will not be immune to measles despite even TWO MMRs. That has no bearing on the efficacy or safety of the vaccine, or the danger level of measles.

5. Measles is certainly more dangerous in adults than in children. But an outbreak when a broad swath of the childhood population is immunized and many adults are less so is OBVIOUSLY going to target adults disproportionately. That is why the MMR campaign was a very appropriate and necessary response to the outbreak.

6. The death of any Jew should cause us pain. Whether or not this death is one we should appropriate to further an agenda is a discussion for greater minds than I; the case in the Navi was not taken lightly from my understanding.

7. May we all remain healthy.

etky

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 3:07 am
southernbubby wrote:
My understanding was that the government run health department didn't have enough vaccines to give people in risky jobs a second dose.

Not exactly.
There were not enough vaccines to immunize all Israelis in her cohort -an age group that had received only one dose in childhood.
But members of this cohort could receive a second dose if they planned on travel to an area where the disease is rampant - kal va'chomer people in 'risky jobs'.
During the height of the outbreak there was a waiting period: you had to schedule an appointment to get the vaccine (unless you had actually been exposed to the virus).
I don't know what the situation is now.
I also don't know if ELAL had recommended/required their crew members to get immunized or to check their immunity status.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 3:15 am
I just managed to wheedle a booster mmr vaccination out of my kuppat cholim doctor. The official reason was that I'm in fertility treatments and my rubella titer was too low. But as it is a combined vaccine, mmr, I hopefully get some renewed measles protection out of it as well. I also work in a framework that puts me at risk. So, glad I got the booster.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 7:18 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
My baby had fever for 5 days and then developed a rash. She has white dots on the tip of her tongue. A runny nose. I I took her to 2 Dr's and both refused to take a blood test to see if it's measles. One Dr told me to take a blood test in 2 weeks when she is all better. I think the Dr's are paranoid of having to report and keeping their place shut down for a certain amount of hours so they can refuse to test for it.

Uh oh, I bet you live in Monsey. I thought that we were relatively safe now.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 7:44 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
1. I am very vaccine hesitant. Most of my kids received no more than one or two vaccines. I did not give the MMR at all until the outbreak began and my choice was no longer strictly personal.

2. However, those who are too much in denial to admit that measles can kill people, are no better than the CDC who are in denial that vaccines can kill people.

3. The article says (for those who didn't read it) that "she didn't die of measles, she died from a hospital-acquired infection." However, she HAD to be hospitalized, was comatose, and if it wasn't this infection, it would have been another. Do you think comatose patients survive forever? That's like saying, "He didn't die of the flu, he died of pneumonia [which came from the flu]."

4. Yes, this flight attendant had one MMR. That neither proves nor disproves anything. Even according to the most optimistic estimates, 1 in 33 people will not be immune to measles despite even TWO MMRs. That has no bearing on the efficacy or safety of the vaccine, or the danger level of measles.

5. Measles is certainly more dangerous in adults than in children. But an outbreak when a broad swath of the childhood population is immunized and many adults are less so is OBVIOUSLY going to target adults disproportionately. That is why the MMR campaign was a very appropriate and necessary response to the outbreak.

6. The death of any Jew should cause us pain. Whether or not this death is one we should appropriate to further an agenda is a discussion for greater minds than I; the case in the Navi was not taken lightly from my understanding.

7. May we all remain healthy.

I agree with most of this but does the CDC actually say that no one ever dies from vaccines? Did you actually see this on their website?

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 10:22 am
Quote:

So irresponsible on the doctors' part!! They'd rather let another epidemic start just to not have to report it.

Quote:

Then she DID die from the measles outbreak. One of the major issues with measles is that it wipes the immune system. People who die don't usually die from measles, but from the side affect of having no working immune system--it's the secondary infections that usually cause the medical issues and death. But without having the measles, their immune system would be working and their bodies would be able to fight the secondary infection, and they wouldn't die.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics