Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Did you/ would you pierce your baby's ears?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Did you/ would you pierce your baby's ears?
yes - we are chassidish  
 28%  [ 57 ]
Yes - we are not chassidish  
 31%  [ 62 ]
No - we are chassidish  
 7%  [ 15 ]
No - we are not chassidish  
 32%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 199

SuperWify

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:23 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
It's possible to disagree without being snarky. Ok, you don't think that piercing a baby's ears sends a message that the child needs to be improved. I do. I respect your point of view, even if I don't share it.

Sorry couldn’t resist. Liberals find excuses to complain about just everything. Even pierced ears....

I understand my opinion isn’t popular. (which IMHO is quite a bit horrifying for a frum women’s board.)

pesek zman

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:41 am
SuperWify wrote:
Sorry couldn’t resist. Liberals find excuses to complain about just everything. Even pierced ears....

I understand my opinion isn’t popular. (which IMHO is quite a bit horrifying for a frum women’s board.)

How did this become a political discussion?

keym

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:55 am
I pierced my daughter's ears at 5-the summer right before primary. She wanted it. She was excited. We did a chart.
To me that's the perfect age.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 10:01 am
SuperWify wrote:

Huh? What is your opinion? and why do frum women need to be on consensus about ear piercing? What is the halacha on ear piercing?

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 10:08 am
SuperWify wrote:

What the bazoomba are you talking about? Do you think everything in the world is political? If I think that your shirt is hideous, is it because I’m a liberal, or because I think you have really bad taste in clothing.

As to Torah, please point to the pasuk that discusses piercing a girl’s ears at birth. Is there a ceremony for it? Like, a boy has a bris, and a girl has a piercing? I must have been out of school that day. My poor daughters will have to ask Hashem’s forgiveness for my not having done it u til they were older. And my rabbi’s teenage daughter without pierced ears? Oyyyyy.

Laiya

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 10:15 am
There is nothing inherently right or wrong with piercing a baby's ears. It's not traumatic and it's not physically harmful. But, if the concept makes you uncomfortable, it's your absolute right as a parent not to do it.

But I find it disingenuous that some of the same people who say that babies are beautiful and perfect as they are, are also capable of viewing a baby as ugly or grotesque. I've never in my life seen a baby who looked ugly or grotesque, regardless of what they were wearing.

It seems more to me like virtue signaling at that point than anything else.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 10:33 am
Laiya wrote:
There is nothing inherently right or wrong with piercing a baby's ears. It's not traumatic and it's not physically harmful. But, if the concept makes you uncomfortable, it's your absolute right as a parent not to do it.

But I find it disingenuous that some of the same people who say that babies are beautiful and perfect as they are, are also capable of viewing a baby as ugly or grotesque. I've never in my life seen a baby who looked ugly or grotesque, regardless of what they were wearing.

Oh - I've seen ugly babies. Smile And earrings doesn't remedy that.

This is purely a cultural thing.

There does seem to be an underlying assumption that a girl/woman should have pierced ears at some-point when asking the question "should I pierce my newborns ears".

I mean a mother who really loves the look of earnings on a newborn - would just do it.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 11:30 am
SixOfWands wrote:
What the bazoomba are you talking about? Do you think everything in the world is political? If I think that your shirt is hideous, is it because I’m a liberal, or because I think you have really bad taste in clothing.

As to Torah, please point to the pasuk that discusses piercing a girl’s ears at birth. Is there a ceremony for it? Like, a boy has a bris, and a girl has a piercing? I must have been out of school that day. My poor daughters will have to ask Hashem’s forgiveness for my not having done it u til they were older. And my rabbi’s teenage daughter without pierced ears? Oyyyyy.

Did I say anything about the Torah? I’m just disturbed by the liberalism here on this board.
That’s all.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 11:38 am
Never. I consider it borderline child abuse, forcing a child to undergo an elective surgical procedure without informed consent or any consent at all. When she is old enough to a. decide she wants it and b. understand what is involved, then and only then would I consider it. I started dating at 17 and got my ears pierced at about 20. I don't believe my lack of pierced ears affected me in any way, positively or negatively, and I was glad that when I did take the plunge, it was my decision, no one else's.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 11:42 am
My chassidish family gave some odd comments when I pierced my ears. I would never on a child though. And doctors aren't your piercer! Salons won't do it under 18 maybe 16 with parents...

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 11:44 am
SuperWify wrote:
Did I say anything about the Torah? I’m just disturbed by the liberalism here on this board.
That’s all.

ear piercings used to be seen as liberal and unwholesome. There’s always something for people to feel strongly about!

simcha2

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 12:35 pm
SuperWify wrote:
That’s all.

Can you explain your comment? How are differing opinions on infant ear piercing related to liberalism?

mha3484

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 12:38 pm
I will let my daughter get hers pierced when she can take care of them herself. I dont need more things to be on top of. Same with long hair. As long as I have to wash and comb it, it can be as short as I want. When shes big enough to manage her own hygiene she is free to choose what she likes.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 12:48 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
I did. For both my girls. When they were a few days old.
As babies it is virtually painless.
As they get older it hurts more. So why wait and traumatized them?

When we had it done, one of my kods winced once and the other just slept through it....

Just want to point out that I just had my ears pierced at 42. Did not hurt at all. Not traumatic either.

I didnt pierce my baby daughter's ears for other reasons, but just felt to point that out....

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 12:54 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Can you explain your comment? How are differing opinions on infant ear piercing related to liberalism?

It’s not. There are just certain posters who take any opportunity they can to attack anyone who doesn’t agree with their politics, even if its wholly unrelated to the subject.

cm

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 1:04 pm
Laiya wrote:

Ok, that was directed at me.

A baby with pierced ears is as beautiful as any other baby.

I find the presence of earrings on a baby grotesque, not cute.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Aug 17 2019, 1:48 pm
SuperWify wrote:

You don't know anything about me or my political views. I expressed an opinion on piercing a baby's ears. It's not a political question, and quite honestly, it's not even that important. Do whatever makes you happy, but please be nice while doing it.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 6:37 am
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics