Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Is the measles outbreak still active?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 17 2019, 9:30 pm
Where is the measles outbreak still active if at all?

flmommy

Post Sat, Aug 17 2019, 11:09 pm
No place that I have heard of

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 8:59 am
According to government website Rockland County has had twenty five cases since June and Williamsburg had eleven since last week

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:29 am
I am upstate in a colony called Nachlei Emunah. It’s a huge place with 5 different sections. The first week of the summer a family had measles and the health department came down...

Bh no one else seems to have caught it from them.

satmerer

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:57 am
It will be active as long as there are people not vaccinated exposed to someone that has it.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:11 pm
A report from last week about five cases in Quebec. "Authorities believe that an unvaccinated member of the community first contracted the virus while visiting Brooklyn, N.Y."

qwerty4

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:17 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
According to government website Rockland County has had twenty five cases since June and Williamsburg had eleven since last week

Really? I hadn’t heard of any cases for a while and was breathing a sigh of relief. Oh well.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 1:07 pm
You can look up the CDC data each week. They post the number of new cases on Monday at https://www.cdc.gov/measles/ca.....html. There were 21 cases last week, but in the weeks before it had been slowing down; there were 8 or 10 in each of the previous two weeks.

Of course, we don't know whether all cases are reported. But this gives some measure of activity. If there are 2-3 weeks with no new cases, that means the outbreak in the US is over.

Of the over 1200 cases this year, about 10% have had to be hospitalized, and 5% have had serious complications such as encephalitis or pneumonia.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 10:03 pm
Patient Zero was an israeli who caught it in Uman on Rosh Hashana and brought it to New Square on Simchas Torah.
Even if the epidemic has subsided, as long as there is *one person* who gets the measles and it spreads to unvaccinated people, it can continue.
But since most kids by this point have either caught the measles or gotten vaccinated the past year, I hope it's almost over.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:24 pm
Would you send your young baby to a babysitter that doesn't vaccinate her kids, in a city with no reported measles, yet they go to Lakewood every few weeks?

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:50 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Patient Zero was an israeli who caught it in Uman on Rosh Hashana and brought it to New Square on Simchas Torah.
Even if the epidemic has subsided, as long as there is *one person* who gets the measles and it spreads to unvaccinated people, it can continue.
But since most kids by this point have either caught the measles or gotten vaccinated the past year, I hope it's almost over.

Although 1/33 people who are vaccinated are not immune (97% efficacy rate), so it can still spread.

But hopefully the epidemic rate is over, where broad swaths of people catch it at the same time.

veiznisht

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 12:32 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Would you send your young baby to a babysitter that doesn't vaccinate her kids, in a city with no reported measles, yet they go to Lakewood every few weeks?

Never. I wouldn't even consider it. I'd also have issues trusting her judgement as my child's babysitter but that is beside the point.

momsrus

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 9:30 am

No.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 9:34 am

Absolutely not

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:05 pm

I wouldnt send my child to a family that doesnt vaccinate, period.

nchr

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:13 pm

No, regardless of the measles outbreak. Pertussis is very dangerous for babies.

dankbar

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:17 pm
no

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:26 pm
veiznisht wrote:
Never. I wouldn't even consider it. I'd also have issues trusting her judgement as my child's babysitter but that is beside the point.

same here

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:51 pm

I wouldn't even send my vaccinated kids

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:03 pm
nchr wrote:
No, regardless of the measles outbreak. Pertussis is very dangerous for babies.

Sorry to break this to you, but someone else getting the pertussis vaccine does not protect your baby from getting pertussis. The vaccine only protects the one vaccinated.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics