Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Public School forum
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 17 2019, 11:43 pm
Hi all!

After contacting Yael, she suggested that we use this thread or post in the chinch forum as a way to continue to discuss this topic.

I will keep Yael posted if there is a strong demand or need for a private forum in the future. As of now please feel free to share here and post any questions you may have!

Thank you for sharing I hope we can help each other!

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Aug 17 2019, 11:58 pm
How do you all implement kodesh at home?

I use some workbooks and we work on tefillah, I just wish there was more time.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 12:02 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I’m just curious why someone would send to public school. I’m not judging. Just curious. That’s all.

The Jewish schools here work with academic needs to an extent but not the ttpe of autism my kids have. No academic needs but a slew of social, regulation, and emotional needs. On a good day when my son isn't punching teachers he's still screaming his way through a school day. My daughter is a bit higher functioning so we did go speak to one of the Jewish schools but public is so much better for her.

Gerbera

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 3:41 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

Nigri Jewish Online School. Absolutely fantastic. Highly recommend!

Gerbera

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 3:47 am
I’m just curious why someone would send to public school. I’m not judging. Just curious. That’s all.

Ppl are not always choosing to do so...they are given no choice. Frum schools often times feel that children who are outside the box or learn differently are not suitable for their schools and tell them they are no longer welcome. My son is not in public school for academic or behavioural issues but there are 21 Frum kids in his school who are. It's actually the source of my disgust and disappointment with the community/city I live in.

There are also ppl who send kids to public school for financial reasons.

According to our old Rav he sees zero problems with our child in public school and we should be grateful for the money we are saving and for the better education he's getting. 🤮

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 6:58 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

I will be looking into the Aleph beta program online for Parsha study My child is in middle school.

I also utilize Shabbos to read the Parsha together and work on translation. My ds has been in Yeshiva for grade school.

Any other suggestions here would be great!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 7:11 am
If there is a forum for home schooling, then there really needs to be a forum for public schooling.

I have a LOT to say on this subject, imho Jewish schools have a lot to answer for, in this world and the next. Mad

Count me in!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:18 am

The #1 reason is special needs. It's not always a choice at all. Jewish schools can't accommodate everyone, or sometimes the choices are so bad that it's not a real choice at all. Sometimes children are able to transfer in to a yeshiva later.

Behind that there's money and the local school being a bad fit. And the thing about money is there's always someone to tell you you should go into debt for yeshiva. But sometimes it's not possible at all, beyond the question of how far we should tell other people to go. People can get very judgmental about public school and how terrible it is.

My DS is in public school because the Jewish school where I live wasn't an appropriate option. I'm comfortable with that decision and public school has been an excellent experience for him.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:25 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If there is a forum for home schooling, then there really needs to be a forum for public schooling.

I have a LOT to say on this subject, imho Jewish schools have a lot to answer for, in this world and the next. Mad

Count me in!

Frantic Frummie,
Could you reach out to Yael as well and if any other imas interested? I think we could have a big enough group for a forum.
For now I will share as amother here for support.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:30 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
The #1 reason is special needs. It's not always a choice at all. Jewish schools can't accommodate everyone, or sometimes the choices are so bad that it's not a real choice at all. Sometimes children are able to transfer in to a yeshiva later.

Behind that there's money and the local school being a bad fit. And the thing about money is there's always someone to tell you you should go into debt for yeshiva. But sometimes it's not possible at all, beyond the question of how far we should tell other people to go. People can get very judgmental about public school and how terrible it is.

My DS is in public school because the Jewish school where I live wasn't an appropriate option. I'm comfortable with that decision and public school has been an excellent experience for him.

How did your ds adapt socially? Was he able to make friends? How do you address the holidays and days off for Succot, Pesach etc, ?

I’m thinking of giving my sons teachers a heads up by the 2nd week of school..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Frantic Frummie,
Could you reach out to Yael ? if any other imas interested please reach out too. I think we could have a big enough group for a forum.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 7:15 pm
My DS has ASD so making friends is tough for him in any setting, but he isn't teased or excluded. For holidays, last year I sent him on Chol Hamoed Sukkot because it was just so many days off (the school would have had to excuse him by law and that wasn't the issue, he would have melted down over it and I consulted with my Rav). Pesach came on our regular school spring break this year except for the first day so there wasn't an issue.

Thanks to allergies the schools now are very careful about food and listening to parents' instructions so that hasn't been an issue. Each year I contact his teacher to let them know we have dietary restrictions and to give me a heads' up when there's going to be treats (parents have to notify the teachers if they want to bring in birthday cupcakes, etc) and I can make sure he has something too. Our school is religiously diverse--not just Jews but all different, with a lot of south Asian students. So we haven't had issues with Xmas like people do in some areas and the teachers stuck to generic winter themes like snowflakes.

amother
White

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 7:39 pm
Does anyone have experience with a Jewish online high school/mesivta that’s for boys with a day school/yeshiva background? DS isn’t looking like he will be able to start school this year due to medical. NY.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 8:24 pm
One of my children just graduated from public high school and another one of my kids is starting PS in September. Would love to see a group for public school families.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 8:24 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
My DS has ASD so making friends is tough for him in any setting, but he isn't teased or excluded. For holidays, last year I sent him on Chol Hamoed Sukkot because it was just so many days off (the school would have had to excuse him by law and that wasn't the issue, he would have melted down over it and I consulted with my Rav). Pesach came on our regular school spring break this year except for the first day so there wasn't an issue.

Thanks to allergies the schools now are very careful about food and listening to parents' instructions so that hasn't been an issue. Each year I contact his teacher to let them know we have dietary restrictions and to give me a heads' up when there's going to be treats (parents have to notify the teachers if they want to bring in birthday cupcakes, etc) and I can make sure he has something too. Our school is religiously diverse--not just Jews but all different, with a lot of south Asian students. So we haven't had issues with Xmas like people do in some areas and the teachers stuck to generic winter themes like snowflakes.

Thank you for your response. I am hoping all goes smooth with the days off. Your post is reassuring. I’m glad things are working out for your son.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 11:14 pm
DS is in public school because the decent yeshivot in our area are too expensive, and the others would barely cover any secular studies.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 7:29 am
Ruchel wrote:
Chief rabbis did too. Not everyone is lucky to live in town, not all cities have

Chief rabbis grew up a generation or more ago.

I think the forum would be a fine idea. I know many valid reasons to send to public school.

sima

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 4:21 pm
I would love such a group if possible. If not discussion here is possible as well. I have two children left in their school years. One of them will certainly go to public next year, due to major lack of quality secular education in his yeshiva system. Those yeshivas that have higher standards are not in my budget range.

My other DD I am also strongly considering a specialized public school for her that goes along with her outside interests and the stronger academics too.

Aside from that I will be able to put away some money......

For those who ask "why would someone consider public school"

there are many reasons, mine are

-better education, more extracurricular programs, programs that interest my kids
-finances (no tuition which takes a huge chunk of my salary)
-better equipped to deal with social/psychological issues

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 4:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Frantic Frummie,
Could you reach out to Yael as well and if any other imas interested? I think we could have a big enough group for a forum.

I just sent a PM to Yael. Anyone want to co-mod with me?

It will be a pretty easy task, because I asked that the group be private. We don't need to be attacked by imas who have never been in our position, and don't understand.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 4:34 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Does anyone have experience with a Jewish online high school/mesivta that’s for boys with a day school/yeshiva background? DS isn’t looking like he will be able to start school this year due to medical. NY.

There is already a forum for home schooling and online resources. If you check over there you can find a goldmine of information and some very helpful imas.

I'd really like to keep this conversation on track about public schooling, and the particular challenges we face.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics