Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Don't know what to do about baby wanting pacifier all day

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:48 am
Originally it was only for bed or the stroller. He's a year old now and that mostly worked. We was sick (high fever), ear infection and teething a molar at the same time so for about a week he was really miserable and I let him have his pacifier whenever he wanted. Now he's better but he wants it all the time. What do I do? He cries and kvetches all day without it. Should I insist on not giving it to him or not make a big deal about it?

pesek zman

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:52 am
I never gave a pacifier. When people say that they always say, oh you must have had an easy baby. You must not have needed to. Wrong and wrong. I just didn’t want to and frankly developed a higher tolerance for kvetching. It’s totally up to you. They’re both valid choices. But if you don’t you’ll have to get used to the kvetching.

tweety1

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 9:58 am
I'm a real big fan of pacifiers. I think it's one of the best inventions. I have a big family ka"h and out of all my kids it only affected one kids teeth. That kid I wanted to start limiting the pacifier at age 4 and dh didn't let me claiming of the kid is taking it it means the kid need it. Bh my kids are growing up just fine with it, some take it more than others, my 10 yr old just gave it up without my knowledge; point is they don't get married with it.

angelgirl

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 12:02 pm
Give it to him for now and try again in a few months to get back to the routine he was in. I promise he won’t walk down to his chupa with it.

As far as teeth go, it’s not definite that a dummy will cause movement.

ddmom

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 1:37 pm
Cute to see the pretty extreme replies so far!!
How about weaning him off slowly?
Try to limit but give it t when very kvetchy...
Or "forget" the paci at home when you go out!

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 1:40 pm
What is the concern about letting him have it all day? I let my kids have it until they were ready to give it up. When the time is right, it goes bye-bye. It's not like thumb sucking where you can't take away their thumb.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 1:50 pm
My kids had access whenever they wanted at that age. When they were a little older we limited it to use in their cribs. At age three they were all ready to throw them out (in exchange for a special birthday present).

momof2+?

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 2:13 pm
I only let my kids have it in bed at that age (and get rid of it completely at about 3 yrs old. Sometimes my kids want that pacifier during the day, so I let them rest with it in their crib for a few minutes. Rule is: it stays in the crib.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 2:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Originally it was only for bed or the stroller. He's a year old now and that mostly worked. We was sick (high fever), ear infection and teething a molar at the same time so for about a week he was really miserable and I let him have his pacifier whenever he wanted. Now he's better but he wants it all the time. What do I do? He cries and kvetches all day without it. Should I insist on not giving it to him or not make a big deal about it?

Personally, I let my kids have it till 5-6 and none are worse for the wear. They all have good teeth and no one needs braces. But if you want it back to the way it was, you have to wean him back to it slowly. When he asks for it, try to distract him by playing together, giving him a small snack, etc.

Though what's going to happen when the next molar comes in?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Aug 16 2019, 2:27 pm
The baby is one! Let him hve it!
You have time to wean him off it.

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Aug 17 2019, 12:54 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I never gave a pacifier. When people say that they always say, oh you must have had an easy baby. You must not have needed to. Wrong and wrong. I just didn’t want to and frankly developed a higher tolerance for kvetching. It’s totally up to you. They’re both valid choices. But if you don’t you’ll have to get used to the kvetching.

My daughter didn't take a pacifier and she then started sucking her thumb instead from two months. And now she's three and I have no way to stop it.

So often the pacifier is actually the lesser of the two evils.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Aug 17 2019, 3:10 pm
pesek zman wrote:

I never gave my kids have pacifiers. The pacifiers get replaced by food. I played music instead to sooth them. It's much healthier without kvetching. I didn't have easy kids either. No one uses pacifiers where I am from. Every kid has one in my community.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 3:01 am
Having same issue with my 3 year old so I don't think I am the right person to ask Wink

nchr

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 5:49 am
Give him a wooden teething toy instead.. chewing is important for the development of language and physical pleasure for babies so your child may be needing that and using a pacifier to satisfy that need if not be offered other options.

satmerer

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 8:03 am
I don't understand why its even a question. If my baby wanted a pacifier (I wish she did) I'd given it to her in an instant. If she wanted one at 6 years old, that is another story.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 8:10 am
Try do distract him as much as you can, and wean him back to only bed/nap time. (Be thankful it’s not a thumb!)

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:11 am
tweety1 wrote:
I'm a real big fan of pacifiers. I think it's one of the best inventions. I have a big family ka"h and out of all my kids it only affected one kids teeth. That kid I wanted to start limiting the pacifier at age 4 and dh didn't let me claiming of the kid is taking it it means the kid need it. Bh my kids are growing up just fine with it, some take it more than others, my 10 yr old just gave it up without my knowledge; point is they don't get married with it.

Wait. I just want to verify... Your ten year old was using a pacifier? That sounds like way too long.

Im worried because my 3.5 yo loves his still but it absolutely affected his teeth. I am petrified he'll be one of those 10 year olds. It doesnt sound right.

Stars

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:50 am
Lotta range here. Personally I would let him hang on to it a for a few weeks more and then slowly without fuss start dropping it into the crib while you take him out. Go straight out of the room. If he tantrums for it use distraction. Within a few days it'll be back to "paci is for sleepy time only".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics