Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Flatbush - How to meet new People

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 2:32 pm
Any classes (excersize/gym/ anything else)
Or other activities you can recommend for someone in their low 20's new to the neighborhood to meet people?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 2:44 pm
You can meet me!

I've lived here my whole life and no social life whatsoever Sad

I don't know if there's a good place to meet women here. Everyone kind of runs on their own schedule. There are so many frum people here, and yet there's so little in the frum infrastructure to make friends, especially for young women!

ETA: you can e-mail me at brachasilverstein@gmail.com if you want to connect. I'm pretty wary of meeting random posters right away, but we can start talking via e-mail and go from there- if you're interested.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 4:40 pm
The neighborhood shul.
Parks if you have kids.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 5:03 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
The neighborhood shul.
Parks if you have kids.

Young women are rarely in shul. On a regular Shabbos they’re not there. Very few people use eruv. Anyone with little kids is home.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 5:57 pm
perhaps a jcc..I think marine park has one...it may have some programming where you can get out and meet people.

strawberry cola

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:27 pm
shiurim.
Rebbetzin Leah Kohn and Rebbetzin Sheina Brog boh give well-attended shiurim - many wonderful women go there. Rabbi Webster's halacha shiur, as well.
The Torah Times should have extensive listings
Dance classes, exercise classes.
Have you tried schmoozing with your neighbors?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:33 pm
strawberry cola wrote:
shiurim.
Rebbetzin Leah Kohn and Rebbetzin Sheina Brog boh give well-attended shiurim - many wonderful women go there. Rabbi Webster's halacha shiur, as well.

90% of these are not attended by women in their early 20s.

bsy

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:45 pm
I also live in flatbush and I got to know some of my neighbors. They're older than me but I go out with my kids and we congregate outside and talk. They're not close friends but it's better than no adults to talk to. I also switched my job to work in a Jewish school so that I'd have more people on my wavelength to talk to during the day. Honestly, I dont have an extra hour in my life to go to a shiur or exercise class. I barely manage as it is.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 7:55 am
strawberry cola wrote:
shiurim.

What age women go to these shiurim? When and where is it?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:30 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
What age women go to these shiurim? When and where is it?

The women who go are typically older. Many have grown children. You can meet women in Reb Brog's shiur but you have to be a certain type or striving to be a certain type.. and since no one knows you, I don't know how they are suggesting shiurim for you. You can try her shiur I guess and see if you connect with it.

Rabbi Webster's shiur is very interesting and informative. He is a big talmid chochum. However, to suggest that this venue is a meeting/shmoozing place for women is kind of funny. People go there to learn and then they leave. You can't just strike up conversations with people. They will think that you are odd. And, honestly you can go to these shiurim for a long time and no one will pay attention to you...

Exc: If you are extraordinarily beautiful and super thin, they will redt you shidduchim maybe.

I think your best bet is a frum work environment or to meet another single woman and ask her this question.

Flatbush is a tough place. Really tough. I lived there for over decade too long.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:35 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
The women who go are typically older. Many have grown children. You can meet women in Reb Brog's shiur but you have to be a certain type or striving to be a certain type.. and since no one knows you, I don't know how they are suggesting shiurim for you. You can try her shiur I guess and see if you connect with it.

Rabbi Webster's shiur is very interesting and informative. He is a big talmid chochum. However, to suggest that this venue is a meeting/shmoozing place for women is kind of funny. People go there to learn and then they leave. You can't just strike up conversations with people. They will think that you are odd. And, honestly you can go to these shiurim for a long time and no one will pay attention to you...

Exc: If you are extraordinarily beautiful and super thin, they will redt you shidduchim maybe.

I think your best bet is a frum work environment or to meet another single woman and ask her this question.

Flatbush is a tough place. Really tough. I lived there for over decade too long.

Is Reb Brog shiur yeshivish?

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:12 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Is Reb Brog shiur yeshivish?

Sorry it is nothing personal at all, honestly.

I just can no longer stand these terms so much. I have developed an allergy and intolerance like people have for gluten, for example.

Yeshivish as in what? Yeshivish as in... "...your husband has his head in the Gemara all of the time, even as you are falling over yourself with the children", yes.

Yeshivish as in "...if you are learning in kollel or "poor thing" had to go into kodesh but are still "better" than regular folks who go to work"? Yes.

Listen, you can want your husband's head in the Gemara/Mussar as much as possible, butI don't discuss it with anyone. Don't boast what a great lamdan he is... It is YOUR! business. Yours and Hshem's. It is not your flag to wave! And something to judge others with or lord over!

I have very strong feelings about this word.,

If I can fight against this exclusive club of "yeshivish" that has nothing to do with the Torah path of truth, I will.

Hshem loves each yid like His only child. And although we are in golus where certain people have taken it upon themselves to be Hshem's "assistants" and claim to know the worth or lack thereof of every yid, …. Hshem Echad!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries