Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Bunk bed- until what age?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 11:04 pm
I am trying to figure out how to fit several kids in one room. I wanted to get a bunk bed with steps to make it easier to go up and down, and the steps are also drawers. There are so many fun, practical bunk bed styles.
I am considering doing a lot of redesigning that would include structural changes and a large expense. It would definitely be worth it for a good few years. But...would it still be good for a young teen and older teen?
Until what age do you think bunk beds are ok, especially if they are solid and use friendly?

Eta: or is it better to have 2 beds in an L, taking up most of the room, with drawers under each bed and a basically enough room for a freestanding wardrobe? And put shelves on the wall above each bed to act as a nightstand for clock, lamp, etc?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 11:31 pm
There is an age limit?
My 24 year old sleeps on the bottom of a bunkbed.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 11:48 pm
Bunkbeds are ageless. I'd much rather go with a cute practical bunkbed design than L shaped beds.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 2:58 pm
It depends. I wouldn't get bunkbeds with boisterous kids . And I wouldn't get for teenagers

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:05 pm
My dh and I slept on a bunk bed one night of our honeymoon when we were hosted by family friends in a city we were visiting LOL He slept on top and I slept on bottom. That said, I wouldn't recommend it for couples long term. In your case, I think a bunk bed is really fine until the child moves out of the home. Unless you have more room at that point for more comfortable accommodations.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:15 pm
There are bunk beds and loft beds intended for adults that are much stronger but cost a lot more. People get them to save space in tiny apartments or for small children, to be able to climb up and read the kid a bedtime story.

satmerer

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:18 pm
I have a 10 old on a bunk bed. she loves it. she feels like she has her own privacy there.

miami85

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:18 pm
My highschool/beis medrash-aged nephews still sleep in bunk beds. The main consideration is that for older boys, they out grow the length of a regular twin but other than that, as long as the bunk bed can withstand 300lbs I dont' see why there's an age limit.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:23 pm
There’s a lower age limit of six for the top bunk. There’s no upper age limit so long as one is agile enough to climb up there. Our kids were bunkers till they married in their mid to late twenties. Once they married we ditched the bunks, since they’re not appropriate for married couples.

mfb

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:24 pm
My kids hated the bunk beds we had in the bungalow. I also hated bunk beds as an older child. I would say rather L shaped beds where each kid has their own space would be much more preferable for teens.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:12 pm
I slept on the top bunk till the night I got married at 21. I actually like it as I had my private space.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics