Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Talk to me about countertops

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 6:17 pm
DS bought a house that has undermount sinks & granite counters. He was told he can't kasher the sinks & uses inserts. He says when he can afford it he will DOWNGRADE to regular old fashioned stainless steel sinks and formica counters.

My counters are about 25 years old & have multiple boo-boos, and bottom cabinets are fraying. So I want to replace all that but I need to explore the options. I don't want expensive, just practical.

Please post what you have, (if recent) approx cost PSF & how happy you are. Or what you've learned from others etc. Thanks!

tryinghard

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 6:30 pm
Why can’t your son just put in stainless steel under mounts?

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 6:36 pm
What kind of sink does your son have?

The scope of the work for your kitchen indicates that you want to do a complete remodel of your kitchen with new cabinets, new counters and everything else. I just finished a remodel of my kitchen and once you start there are also additional costs that come into play - Code will generally require electrical upgrades. Many people want to change the layout of the kitchen somewhat so that it is more functional.

There is so much to think about in terms of achieving the best possible kitchen remodel whatever your budget is. I would suggest your starting to research so that you learn about cabinet construction; pros and cons of various counter materials; sink configuration; faucets etc. houzz.com has an excellent forum. Even if you hire experts, it is far better to be an educated consumer so that you can evaluate their advice. Even though I relied on my very talented designer and had a good GC to do the work, I also provided input in terms of how I waned my kitchen to function and look.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 3:46 am
I know exactly what layout I want (pretty much) similar to what I have now but I will get rid of a blind corner (hate it!) and have a lazy susan there. Otherwise I'm quite happy. I spent a lot of time but very little money about 25 years ago, now it just needs some tweaks. I think electric should be to code, though there may have been some updates.

I went with cheapish sinks & I won't do that again.

Also cabinets isn't a big decision, someone can get very good quality for us at cost.
Countertops is my big decision.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 6:34 am
Granite countertops are scratch , stain & heat resistant. There’s nothing that comes close.
Plus the natural beauty of granite is second to none. Re sinks I was advised to get top mount for one simple reason...to protect the exposed granite edge from any chips.
My granite counters & steel sinks are 21 yo & in perfect condition.
I’m in the process of re doing my kitchen & definitely doing granite again with top mount sinks.

happyone

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 7:29 am
I did my kitchen about 18 years ago and would change nothing if I did it again. granite countertops with undermount large D dinis. its durable, practical and in perfect condition. no, it's not white and modern .

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:39 am
Go with granite
Marble stains and etches
Quartz can burn
IMNSHO- it’s the most user friendly.
My Rav says it is kasherable, so ask your LOR. If not, so you cover for Pesach like you do with mica

There are gorgeous grey granites and are not too expensive. Mine was $700 a slab. To that you need to add the manufacturing.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:43 am
I dont think you can kasher formica

tweety1

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:48 am
studying_torah wrote:
I dont think you can kasher formica

Formica you can't kasher but it doesn't mekabel either.

tf

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 10:45 am
happyone wrote:
I did my kitchen about 18 years ago and would change nothing if I did it again. granite countertops with undermount large D dinis. its durable, practical and in perfect condition. no, it's not white and modern .

Same here. 12 yrs ago
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics