Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Yeshivish out of town flavor Monsey area
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 6:13 am
Any neighborhood recommendations? We have schools and kollels that we're happy with, but I really want to live in a yeshivish neighborhood without shtick... Is there such a thing? I want to be part of something warm and growing, kollel flavor, without a big focus on money. Thoughts on where I'd find this in the Monsey area?

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:45 am
Probably one area that fits that description is one of the "oldest" areas in Spring Valley- Rock Hill Rd, Hadassah Lane, Dykstra Way etc- off Old Nyack Turnpike. Also, I think the "Birds" neighborhood in Chestnut Ridge might fit as well. No idea about prices/availability of housing there at this point, though

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:49 am
Sounds like maybe South Fallsburg to me.

Wife1

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 10:10 am
Dexter park area should have more available homes for sale

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 10:50 am
Yes definitely Dexter Park. It's just like you're describing.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:00 am
Cookiegirl wrote:
Probably one area that fits that description is one of the "oldest" areas in Spring Valley- Rock Hill Rd, Hadassah Lane, Dykstra Way etc- off Old Nyack Turnpike. Also, I think the "Birds" neighborhood in Chestnut Ridge might fit as well. No idea about prices/availability of housing there at this point, though
I disagree. Many of the yeshivish people in that crowd are very fancy and show offy. I lived between them and felt that there was a huge emphasis on gashmius. That was my personal experience. They are nice and lovely people though . Many of them went to school with me and have their kids in school with my kids and we are friends . But for someone that is looking for a no pressure neighborhood I wouldn’t think Dykstras or the Birds is the right place.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:02 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I disagree. Many of the yeshivish people in that crowd are very fancy and show offy. I lived between them and felt that there was a huge emphasis on gashmius. That was my personal experience. They are nice and lovely people though . Many of them went to school with me and have their kids in school with my kids and we are friends . But for someone that is looking for a no pressure neighborhood I wouldn’t think Dykstras or the Birds is the right place.

I agree with this, that's why the closest place to me is S. F. But nothings the same anywhere anymore.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:14 am
Off saddle. Keith , beket, Allen, margetts is wonderful neighborhood My friend lives there She claims it to be the most solid quality neighborhood she ever experienced.

She describes it as being all types ,chassidish yashivis , litvish, but very accepting and simple . Tho, I dont know if u are only focusing on yassivish because that area is a mix of all types but very refined ppl freindly and welcoming and no pressure from other ppl.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:22 am
What about Brockton Rd area? Not from Monsey so don't know what that's called but the people I know around there sound like the type you're describing.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:34 am
Dont know of a place brockton sorry

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:06 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
What about Brockton Rd area? Not from Monsey so don't know what that's called but the people I know around there sound like the type you're describing.

Brockton is the New Hempstead area.
OP, look into New City and Havestraw as well. The yeshivish people I know there are really sweet and simple and are not into money. Though I think those areas are a mix of all types and stripes.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:28 pm
Definitely brockton area

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:33 pm
New city

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:56 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
New city

Any particular parts of New City?

Re Dexter Park-it's not easy to find there and most are $450+.

Isn't Brockton more older families?

Thank you!

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 1:06 pm
I dont know for sure but I doubt you will find under $450 in New City. Definitely not on Brockton. Maybe Haverstraw?

allergypro

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 4:18 pm
Definitely the most up and coming simple and yeshivish area is Haverstraw. Look near riverglen, ossman, etc

susanstohelit

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Isn't Brockton more older families?

Yes, it is. I live nearby and the shuls all have a definite older population and very few young families/little kids.

ProudMommie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:52 am
Reading this thread makes me scared for us as a nation. We truly need help

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:17 am
What about by the children's park? I don't know the area well, but I know a family that lives there, and they are plain and unassuming.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:24 am
The area by Children's park is what people refer to as Dexter Park.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries