Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Preschool Craft Ideas

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:20 pm
I usually have my preschoolers decorate a sheet to be used as a tablecloth for our class Shabbos parties throughout the year. I've used fabric markers, but kids are 4 and often ends up with just a lot of scribbling. I'm hoping for some more "finished" looking projects they could participate in. Also, any new ideas for decorating challah covers for kids to go home with?

Anon -in case someone recognizes the project :-)

Rappel

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I usually have my preschoolers decorate a sheet to be used as a tablecloth for our class Shabbos parties throughout the year. I've used fabric markers, but kids are 4 and often ends up with just a lot of scribbling. I'm hoping for some more "finished" looking projects they could participate in. Also, any new ideas for decorating challah covers for kids to go home with?

Anon -in case someone recognizes the project :-)

When were in kindergarten, we made pillowcases for Seder night. The teacher taped or stapled on a roomy stencil with a Hebrew passuk on it, and then all we had to do was decide how we wanted to colour in those letters, with fabric marker. It allowed for plenty of creativity, while still creating a nice project.

Alternately: can the kids sew, or tie, premade fabric squares together, patchwork style?

amother
Black

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:51 pm
In general, have them color or whatever on a cutout shape, it always looks finished. So cut out flowers or whatever from a second sheet, have the kids decorate, then glue on.

Or you spread glue onto specific places/shapes on the tablecloth, and have them attach whatever they want. Also always looks more finished.

For challah covers, have them "sew" with yarn and a blunt-tip needle on a very loose fabric. The kids will love it, it won't look very pretty but will be very cool!

Or if you want something pretty, tape down stencils onto vinyl rectangles, and have them paint, glitter, whatever. When it's dry, remove the stencils.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 2:08 pm
Thanks for the ideas.
I think I will experiment with stencils.
I need the tablecloth to be washable, so I don't think glueing down things will work well for me.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 2:09 pm
Write shabbos in bubble letters and draw some pictures and have them color it all in.

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:18 pm
stencils you could do with blow pens it gets a spray painted look.

They sell color me in plastic tablecloths with images (secular)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics