Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Chasidishe homeschoolers please help!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 11:59 pm
Do you have any online program or curriculum that you use? I am just beginning this journey and need advice. I was thinking to use Melamed Academy, but want limudei kodesh in Yiddish. Are there any resources available for that? What do you do/use?

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you have any online program or curriculum that you use? I am just beginning this journey and need advice. I was thinking to use Melamed Academy, but want limudei kodesh in Yiddish. Are there any resources available for that? What do you do/use?

I actually started looking into this, but I don't know if I will end up following through.
I'll be following to see if there are any good ideas, though.

How old are your kids? My kids are in Junior High, so since I feel like they got the basics already I might be ok with Melamed. For secular studies, I think I'll be happy with Melamed.

What will you do about social aspect? Thats my greatest concern at the moment.

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 1:13 am
Curious. Why did you choose to homeschool? If it's none of my business, don't answer.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 1:36 am
There are no comprehensive curriculums for Limudei Kodesh. You will have to put together your own.

First you need to decide on your goals for the year - either if you want to come up with your own goals/together with your child, or if you plan to keep your child caught up with a local school.

Then you need to collect individual resources for each one. For Chumash, there are Chumashim with Yiddish teitch. There is Lashon Hatorah for basic dikduk. There are sifrei halacha in Yiddish, and others on the Yomim Tovim that you can use for Yahadus. Etc.

Some teachers might be willing to sell you their worksheets, and there are some Yiddish worksheets on Chinuch.org.

If it is helpful I can give you some suggested goals and guidelines of how to teach this way, but it is going to be a lot of work on your part.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 7:46 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
There are no comprehensive curriculums for Limudei Kodesh. You will have to put together your own.

First you need to decide on your goals for the year - either if you want to come up with your own goals/together with your child, or if you plan to keep your child caught up with a local school.

Then you need to collect individual resources for each one. For Chumash, there are Chumashim with Yiddish teitch. There is Lashon Hatorah for basic dikduk. There are sifrei halacha in Yiddish, and others on the Yomim Tovim that you can use for Yahadus. Etc.

Some teachers might be willing to sell you their worksheets, and there are some Yiddish worksheets on Chinuch.org.

If it is helpful I can give you some suggested goals and guidelines of how to teach this way, but it is going to be a lot of work on your part.

Thank you. I really appreciate your response and honesty.
I hope its ok to ask...Are you homeschooling this way? How do you find it? What ages are your kids and where are you located? Thanks.

wifeandmore

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:52 am
Jewish online school might have some Yiddish tutors

Maybe

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:15 am
Melamed will add Yiddish if they get more requests

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:17 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Curious. Why did you choose to homeschool? If it's none of my business, don't answer.

I will answer

Because she doesn’t want to vaccinate her kids.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 1:10 pm
Or because she can't afford school. That's what it was for me a few years back, although an askan got involved at some point and got them back in.

But we might need to again this year, for the same reason.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 4:23 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I will answer

Because she doesn’t want to vaccinate her kids.

Are you the one commenting on all homeschool threads with this nonsense? It's rude to us that need to homeschool for other reasons and do vaccinate. So just stop.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:04 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Are you the one commenting on all homeschool threads with this nonsense? It's rude to us that need to homeschool for other reasons and do vaccinate. So just stop.

It’s not nonsense. It’s the number one reason a chasidishe family would homeschool

And because you homeschool for valid reasons, you should not be helping antivaxxers.

unexpected

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:57 pm
For younger kids there is a workbook in Eichlers called leshon limudim. It is a really really good workbook divided into 3 levels (3 books) I never home schooled but I did it with my kids for years- over the summers and it was very helpful

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:01 pm
You might be able to buy books in Yiddish that the Satmar school produces.

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:03 pm
If you need to keep your child home because he/she is sick or immunocompromised, kapayim can maybe provide tutors

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:07 pm
If your child cant attend school for like medical reasons you might be able to get from city a public school teacher after hours to cover homeschooling & come to your home.
NY law every child must be educated from Sep to Jun, either in a school or homeschooled. They can check on you.

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:09 pm
on another thread one mom said her kid is not being accepted to chassidishe cheder because of colored socks....
In monsey, kids are not accepted if mom drives etc...

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:12 pm
You can buy basic workbooks for math, spelling, reading, phonics for different grade levels by Barnes & Nobles

southernbubby

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:29 pm
If homeschooling families could get together and form co-ops, it could open up worlds. No more tuition headaches or rejection heartaches. Just pure Torah learning.
OP, I wish you luck but have a selfish desire to see you join together with other homeschooling families to share resources and give the kids a social outlet. Let me know what you manage to work out. Take pictures and keep a scrapbook. Get creative with activities. Go on plenty of field trips.

momsrus

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:31 pm
dankbar wrote:
on another thread one mom said her kid is not being accepted to chassidishe cheder because of colored socks....
In monsey, kids are not accepted if mom drives etc...

what happened to that thread?

dankbar

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:47 pm
The shluchim of Chabad have an online limudei kodesh school.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling