Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Anxiety taking pacie away

Beingreal

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 10:49 pm
We went to a new pediatrician because we moved and the dr said that my 2 and a half year old needs to stop the pacie at night cold turkey. She doesn't have it during the day, only at night. We just moved 6 weeks ago and the kids are all starrting a new school in a week and I will be starting a new job. I don't think I am ready for the heartbreaking screa0ms and cries. Advice?

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 10:53 pm
Beingreal wrote:
We went to a new pediatrician because we moved and the dr said that my 2 and a half year old needs to stop the pacie at night cold turkey. She doesn't have it during the day, only at night. We just moved 6 weeks ago and the kids are all starrting a new school in a week and I will be starting a new job. I don't think I am ready for the heartbreaking screa0ms and cries. Advice?

Your pediatrician offered you some non-medical advice. Ignore it.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:32 pm
I never heard that a child "must" stop a pacifier immediately. Why did he say so? It's nothing medical.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:37 pm
OP, my pediatrician says that if the kid needs it to self-soothe, leave them with it. He said that the dentist will tell you to wean off asap, but he sees no need to do so.

Don't listen to an overzealous pediatrician who's helping the dentist out. You know what your child needs.

Surrendered

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:39 pm
Wait for the right moment. Not when the child is going through changes.

Beingreal

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 1:44 am
Thank you everyone. She made me feel I was parenting wring. I didn'r like her and now back to looking for another new dr.

mom_13

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 1:49 am
To quote my sister in law, nobody ever went to their chuppah with a paci, but people who suck their thumb have. Point is, when looking at these two options, paci suddenly seems ok. My 4 yr old still has a pacifier, at night only. Do I hate it? YES. But I'd rather this over that.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 2:53 am
mom_13 wrote:
To quote my sister in law, nobody ever went to their chuppah with a paci, but people who suck their thumb have. Point is, when looking at these two options, paci suddenly seems ok. My 4 yr old still has a pacifier, at night only. Do I hate it? YES. But I'd rather this over that.

Some kids are thumb suckers - some aren't. Just is.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:54 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
OP, my pediatrician says that if the kid needs it to self-soothe, leave them with it. He said that the dentist will tell you to wean off asap, but he sees no need to do so.

Don't listen to an overzealous pediatrician who's helping the dentist out. You know what your child needs.

It's not helping the dentist out, it is helping DC out. Why bother going to doctors or dentists of moms knows what their kids need?

I would ask the pediatrician why the need for a cold turkey stop. I would ease out of the pacifier. I think before everything starts with new schools and a new job is better.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:44 am
My pediatrician also insisted that we stop that very day. I was equally scared of the effect on my son. I had a heart-to-heart talk with ds. I said "when you go to sleep tonight, you'll have [I named all his stuffed animals] but not your pacie". I encouraged him to repeat what I just said.
And that was the end of it. Clearly I thought it was more traumatic than he did.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:46 am
Amother taupe, we "bother" going to the doctor for medical purposes. We don't need to adhere to everything the doctor says, especially not medical issues. We need to use our common sense.
My doctor is very against giving kids benadryl and he always says not to give. You really think I don't give? His opinion is that it's not good, I've never seen any ramifications by giving benadryl, it's actually a life saver for me sometimes.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:50 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
It's not helping the dentist out, it is helping DC out. Why bother going to doctors or dentists of moms knows what their kids need?

I would ask the pediatrician why the need for a cold turkey stop. I would ease out of the pacifier. I think before everything starts with new schools and a new job is better.

Medical check-ups. I go for medical check-ups.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 7:33 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Amother taupe, we "bother" going to the doctor for medical purposes. We don't need to adhere to everything the doctor says, especially not medical issues. We need to use our common sense.
My doctor is very against giving kids benadryl and he always says not to give. You really think I don't give? His opinion is that it's not good, I've never seen any ramifications by giving benadryl, it's actually a life saver for me sometimes.

Clearly you went to medical school and studied different classes of drugs and how they interact and what the effects are. Which medical school again?
Why would you give?

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 7:37 am

where does common sense come into giving your child an antihistamine?

Bruria

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 7:38 am
Take it away slowly, less traumatic.. Like one day she's with , one day without, until she gets used to it.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 7:45 am

How can you compare pacifier use (which I actually do think it’s appropriate for pediatricians to offer guidance, but that’s me) to warning you of use of an unapproved drug for small children? Ultimately you do what you want, but proper medication guidance and usage is certainly within the realms of what a pediatrician should be discussing with you!

nchr

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:04 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
where does common sense come into giving your child an antihistamine?

Because this amother clearly gives her children benadryl to sedate them, which I am opposed to (as is her child's pediatrcian).

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:13 am
nchr wrote:
Because this amother clearly gives her children benadryl to sedate them, which I am opposed to (as is her child's pediatrcian).

I know what she is doing. I just wonder how common sense got involved.

tweety1

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 12:53 pm
mom_13 wrote:

This! My mil took away the pacifier at around age 8 (late enough right?) She took her finger cuz she still needed the security, then she had to get a habit breaker so she can get braces. Her kids following, she didn't dare do it again.
As a btw, I have a married sib that still takes a finger
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics