Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Mothers who don’t drive: non-transportation days

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:15 am
Hi,

I recently moved to an area where my kids can’t get private busing and since I don’t drive I am wondering how other non-drivers handle the no-bus days for getting their kids to and from school.

Also, those who use Taxi’s, how do you bring toddlers who are too big for infant car seats but too small for booster seats in taxis safely?

Thanks!

bookie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:19 am
I don’t drive. I won’t put a child in a car without proper restraint. I have taken them on a city bus though.
For non bus days I do carpool. So far either my husband or father has been able to do one way bh.

momX4

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:22 am
You create a carpool.

Your dh can take in the morning and in return, depending on how many other families you have in your carpool, your dc will get a few rides out of it.

Or you can pay someone in your neighborhood, that sends to the same school, to give your dc a ride on non bussing days.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 9:10 am
Carpool?
I would never ever pay for a uber regularly. 4 trips unless you remain around the school. NO WAY

Blessing1

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 9:11 am
I don't drive. I get everywhere in taxi's.
I seatbelt my kids in.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 9:45 am
Learn to drive if you can, as soon as possible.

In the mean time, set up a carpool. Your husband will have to make it work to drive one way. There are not too many of these days in the year, nothing unworkable.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:00 am
Get involved in a car pool. Someone I know does and takes an Uber when it's her turn to do the carpool and pick up the other kids.

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 3:01 pm
momX4 wrote:
You create a carpool.

Your dh can take in the morning and in return, depending on how many other families you have in your carpool, your dc will get a few rides out of it.

Or you can pay someone in your neighborhood, that sends to the same school, to give your dc a ride on non bussing days.

How much money do you think would be reasonable to pay per ride? The price of a taxi?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 3:04 pm
63 wrote:
How much money do you think would be reasonable to pay per ride? The price of a taxi?

It all depends how far you live from the schools. The taxi companies in Monsey for example charge according to neighborhood. So if they go from one end of Monsey to the other it’s a flat local fee. But if they go over the border from Monsey into Chestnut Ridge they up the fee even though distance wise it’s not as far.
I paid between $15 and $20 per way for my kids. Making additional local stops is another $5 or so on top of that.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 3:09 pm
watergirl wrote:

In the mean time, set up a carpool. Your husband will have to make it work to drive one way. There are not too many of these days in the year, nothing unworkable.

My kids have school on Sundays and they get dismissed at different times based on age so there is quite a lot of days that we need to do carpool and don’t have transportation. Thankfully our school now provides transportation for a fee on those days but once upon a time they didn’t .

veiznisht

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:44 pm
watergirl wrote:

Not good advice considering that in some communities learning to drive would leave your child without a school to begin with.

Regardless, I'd assume that OP has a reason for not driving considering most people do enjoy the convenience.

nchr

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:25 pm
You can get transportation. You need to contact the school district where you pay property taxes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 3:15 am
Ruchel wrote:
Carpool?
I would never ever pay for a uber regularly. 4 trips unless you remain around the school. NO WAY
Ruchel, a car pool is when a few families get together and each time a different parent drives to or from school. Done in many places around the world Smile

teachkids

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:42 am
nchr wrote:
You can get transportation. You need to contact the school district where you pay property taxes.

Often districts only pay for bussing if the public school is in session that day, the issue OP is facing is when there's no public school and therefore no bussing

Beingreal

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:48 am
I walk and pick my my kids up that way. School is close enough. I wish I can drive but with an eye condition it will never happen for me.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 8:15 am
watergirl wrote:

I used to be a practice driver for adults in my former community who needed a license but it was such a strain on my nerves that I eventually stopped. I did it for the mitzvah and not for pay. Now the grandchildren are close to the age keneinahora and I imagine that they will want the adults in their lives to be practice drivers for them. It takes nerves of steel.
There are women who get paid to drive kids to schools. If the OP is in the Monsey area, check the Community Connections yellow pages for car service. OP, you can also place an ad in one of several giveaway publications that you are hiring a driver for the kids. Chabad women have a WhatsApp group and people post inquiries on there for various services so ask someone in Chabad to post for you if you are interested in the Monsey area.
There may be other groups with similar WhatsApps.
There are several frum driver training courses if that is a possibility for you. It might, however, take lots of time if you don't have people to help you practice.

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:46 pm
southernbubby wrote:

There are women who get paid to drive kids to schools. If the OP is in the Monsey area, check the Community Connections yellow pages for car service. OP, you can also place an ad in one of several giveaway publications that you are hiring a driver for the kids. Chabad women have a WhatsApp group and people post inquiries on there for various services so ask someone in Chabad to post for you if you are interested in the Monsey area.

I actually am in the monsey area. There are women that get paid to drive kids to school? Would you be able to provide me contact info for that?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:53 pm
63 wrote:
I actually am in the monsey area. There are women that get paid to drive kids to school? Would you be able to provide me contact info for that?

I will ask my landlady because her sister does it. I will bli neder get back to you.
ETA: I just asked on the Chabad WhatsApp so let's see what we can find.

I now have a number of a lady that you can try so watch out for my private message.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics