Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Eating in my car

Esther16

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:22 am
Wasn't sure which topic to post this under because I'm not sure if it's an actual tznitus issue...
Basically, I was out doing lots of errands and I picked up a pre-packaged salad in a store to eat for lunch. I sat down in my car and proceeded to eat my salad, but I couldn't help but notice that I was getting some looks from passersby.
Is it considered eating in public if I'm in my car? Should the people passing by just be minding their own business and stop being rude? Not sure where in the tzniyus/socially acceptable spectrum this falls...

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:27 am
I consider my car to be my private domain. Those people were being rude if they were looking into your car.

That being said, if I was eating on the go, I might park in a quiet corner of the parking lot for greater privacy, and eat it there.....

Esther16

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:29 am
True.. I happen to have been in a quieter side of the parking lot, but not all the way secluded. That might have been a better idea

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:41 am
I never considered eating salad in public to be a tznius issue. Certainly not if I were in my own car.

Peeping into other people's cars and staring at people, OTOH, is a breach of privacy.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:43 am
What is wrong with eating in your car???? I think we have lunch in the car every Sunday.

Esther16

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:50 am
Thx all. I never thought twice about eating in my car (pizza, sushi, ice cream you name it) but this time with all the looks I got, I thought maybe there was something wrong with me? Tbh, it irks me that ppl look into car windows. I think it's pretty rude and nosy.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:52 am
When people stare into my car, I stare strongly right back at them.

Aylat

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:54 am
It's very nosy to look into people's cars! On the other hand, they might have been checking their own reflection in the windows and not actually looking in.

I thought this was going to be about mess and eating in cars - it's practically vehareg ve'al yaavor to eat in DH's car!

MiriFr

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:58 am
I think 70-80% of my meals are eaten in my car, come to think of it

sub

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:59 am
I rather think the issue was that they wanted the spot.
Hope you enjoyed your hurried break.

singleagain

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 2:44 pm
sub wrote:
I rather think the issue was that they wanted the spot.
Hope you enjoyed your hurried break.

This.. depending on how close to the stores your spot was. They might have been looking to see if it looked like you were getting in or out of the spot. Either bc they wanted the spot. Or wanted to make sure you weren't going to zoom out or something.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 3:13 pm
If you don't have a tzniyus problem eating in restaurants, on picnics or in other people's houses, how could eating in your car possibly be a tzniyus issue?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:37 pm
zaq wrote:
If you don't have a tzniyus problem eating in restaurants, on picnics or in other people's houses, how could eating in your car possibly be a tzniyus issue?

This. The only reason I'd look at someone eating a salad in their car strangely is if they were driving at the same time.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 9:00 pm
It's brought in seforim kedoshim you put up a huge black tent and hide in it
And whisper benching as quietly as you can

Kol Ha Cvuda

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 9:06 pm
Lots of you assume I stick my head out of my car and let my tongue hang out but I would STARVE TO DEATH if I wasn't able to eat in my car. Literally. I grab and go. If you insist on looking into my car, your welcome to the view you get. I've changed socks in cars, I've put on make up in cars, I've stopped wars in the back seats of my car.. Go ahead, peek! Make my day! I once even slid from the front of my car to the back of my car when we had an unexpected male coming for a ride and "couldn't sit in the back". Not so sure why my husband was so accommodating but I did learn that I fit between the seats so.. The day wasn't a total waste..

If you peek into my car, do you also peek into my home windows? Are you registered as an offender in your neighborhood? You should be.

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:45 pm
Hey they were probably hungry thinking ooh, lemme also go grab a salad LOL

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:47 pm
I eat in the car all the time, yes even while driving (obviously in a safe manner, usually sneak bits at red lights). I travel for work and can't always take a lunch break. Nothing wrong with it.

(Now I do admit to having an issue of LEAVING garbage in my car, but that's another story and I don't offer rides to anyone who I would feel uncomfortable seeing this.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics