Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dipping Powder for Nails

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 8:45 am
I’ve always loved doing my nails (myself to save money) and I’m planning to get a dipping powder kit. Has anyone had success in any particular brand. I’ve done a lot of research online but I’d love to hear imamother experiences if anyone’s done this themself. Also if anyone has bought their own electric nail file and has a good experience with it, which one did you get?

Thanks in advance!

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 7:10 am
Has anyone tried this? From the tutorials I watched, it seems like so many steps. But doesn't need time to dry, which is nice. Is it really worth the effort?
Also, how hard is it to take off?
TIA!

twizzlers1

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 8:01 am
If it's what I'm thinking of it is harder to take off than gel. But just a little bit harder. I don't think you can do it without something electric at least that was my experience.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 8:44 am
Hard to take off and I tried peeling it off eventually and it ruined my nails. There's probably a better way to take it off ..

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 8:52 am
I get dip powder manicures every three weeks. It's much, much harder than gel to remove. I can compare because before I started dip powder I did a gel manicure every 8-10 days for years. Gel tends to peel off on me after that length of time because my hands are submerged in water a lot. Water doesn't affect dip powder at all.

With my gel manicure, they'd scrape the top a bit and wrap in foil, and after the polish would be mostly if not all the way off. Dip powder doesn't need the scrape off, but even with over 30 min wrapped in foil and acetone, the polish isn't off. They go in with an electric file, take off what they can, then wrap again in acetone and foil. After they still need to do electric file to get the base off.

I frequently would peel off my gel manicure myself, despite being told it was damaging (I never saw it cause damage). But dip powder is like cemented on. It can't be peeled off, it would have to be cracked off and that hurts and causes instant damage.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 9:18 am
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
I get dip powder manicures every three weeks. It's much, much harder than gel to remove. I can compare because before I started dip powder I did a gel manicure every 8-10 days for years. Gel tends to peel off on me after that length of time because my hands are submerged in water a lot. Water doesn't affect dip powder at all.

With my gel manicure, they'd scrape the top a bit and wrap in foil, and after the polish would be mostly if not all the way off. Dip powder doesn't need the scrape off, but even with over 30 min wrapped in foil and acetone, the polish isn't off. They go in with an electric file, take off what they can, then wrap again in acetone and foil. After they still need to do electric file to get the base off.

I frequently would peel off my gel manicure myself, despite being told it was damaging (I never saw it cause damage). But dip powder is like cemented on. It can't be peeled off, it would have to be cracked off and that hurts and causes instant damage.

Omg. And people still do this? Can't Believe It
I can't imagine doing that for mikva every month. Not worth it, in my opinion.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 9:37 am
I recently ordered dip powder to use at home. I haven’t tried it yet. Now I’m scared.

North Star

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 9:44 am
I’ve gotten dip powder off by pouring acetone into a glass bowl and just soaking my nails in it for a long time. I forgot exact amount, maybe 30 minutes? Eventually it just starts coming off. I’d use a cotton ball to get it all off once it was ready. Watch a show or something while your nails soak. And don’t use a plastic bowl, the acetone ate right through it.

SDmother

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 9:48 am
I bought a kit on Amazon. Looks beautiful and easy to apply but is impossible to remove and ruins my nails😩

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 11:31 am
I DIY dip and it does look great and usually lasts a while. Taking it off is annoying though. I usually don’t have patience and crack it off but it does damage my nails. I’ve done it without before by soaking my nails in acetone for a very long time. I got these special containers where you put hot water at the bottom and the acetone on top and put my fingers in there. It warms up the acetone which makes it take faster but it’s still annoying. I have an electric drill but I don’t even use it.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Feb 10 2022, 11:38 am
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
Omg. And people still do this? Can't Believe It
I can't imagine doing that for mikva every month. Not worth it, in my opinion.

I used to do my own gel nails every 3 weeks when I was pregnant. (And had to soaking/filing to get it all off) I loved having pretty nails all the time. But after, when I go to mikvah regularly, forget it! It is totally a huge pain to remove and doesn't look good with short nails.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics