Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Escape the Room

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 7:23 pm
What would you say is minimum age?

Fun for Bubby & Zaidie to take some DGC?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 8:39 pm
Older child. Probably not younger than mid-teens.

It just takes a certain process of thinking that will be very challenging for a younger child.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:00 pm
My 6 and 11 year olds love escape the room. Its mostly beyond the 6 year old but he loves hunting for clues and so on. My 11 year old really enjoys them. (And has been enjoying them for a few years now) She went with a few friends to one for a birthday party and they all had fun.

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:01 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Older child. Probably not younger than mid-teens.

It just takes a certain process of thinking that will be very challenging for a younger child.

This has very little to do with age. A bright 10 year old will love it, a 25 year old who is not good at puzzles may not enjoy it.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:13 pm
Raisin wrote:
This has very little to do with age. A bright 10 year old will love it, a 25 year old who is not good at puzzles may not enjoy it.

Anyone who doesn't enjoy games/puzzles won't enjoy an escape room, regardless of age.

I'm good at puzzles and enjoy them very much. DH and I went to an escape room just today. I'm thinking about the ones we've done together, and I know that I would've been very frustrated by them as a bright 10-year-old who loved puzzles and riddles.

I guess if the child is content with just "finding things" but not really figuring them out or understanding what they mean, then a 10-year-old can enjoy it. But figuring out the codes and what they mean? In my experience, that's more for teens.

Teomima

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 2:12 am
My 10yo loves them. Any younger though and it'd be harder for them to figure out clues on their own (though a parent/grandparent could gently nudge their thinking in the right direction) . But there are different rooms geared towards different age ranges.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 3:43 am
How does it work though? Say we want to have a family group, what's the minimum to have the room to ourselves & what's the maximum?

Also is there anything a yeshivish person would consider inappropriate for their kids to see?

Teomima

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 4:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How does it work though? Say we want to have a family group, what's the minimum to have the room to ourselves & what's the maximum?

Also is there anything a yeshivish person would consider inappropriate for their kids to see?

Every room has different guidelines. Check out the websites for the locations you're considering. They'll tell you minimum and maximum number of participants, recommended age ranges, and you can ask them if it's appropriate for modest children. For the most part these places are "good, clean fun" though there's probably always an exception to the rule. For what it's worth, I've never been to one I'd consider inappropriate in any way, just some that would be far too challenging for certain ages.

WelcomeN

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 10:43 am
Teomima wrote:
Every room has different guidelines. Check out the websites for the locations you're considering. They'll tell you minimum and maximum number of participants, recommended age ranges, and you can ask them if it's appropriate for modest children. For the most part these places are "good, clean fun" though there's probably always an exception to the rule. For what it's worth, I've never been to one I'd consider inappropriate in any way, just some that would be far too challenging for certain ages.

A lot of escape rooms with a medieval theme would routinely feature Christian and pagan (idol) images. Some rooms appeal to base emotions of terror, revulsion, s-xuality - Komnata Quest comes to mind. In an effort to provide the most intense experience possible, the rooms would use those elements to attract non jewish customers.

I feel that the Jewish Escape Room in Brooklyn avoids all these sfeikos and features an inspiring and educational Torah theme!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:06 pm
My kids are ages 10-20 and we have done several escape rooms in the past couple of years. It takes some effort, but I work hard on finding ones that are not scary for the younger ones and that I know will not have any inappropriate content, particularly for my older yeshiva bochurim. Every single escape room we have done has been great! Some are hard for the younger kids, but we find ways for them to participate in solving the clues, opening locks once the code is figured out, etc., and all the kids (and parents!) have a great time. The themes of the rooms we have done are things like having to get off an island before the volcano erupts and finding the secret recipe in a chocolate factory. Very family friendly!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:21 pm
Okay, the last couple posts are very helpful. So there's definitely appropriate as well as possible inappropriate material.

Can people please post locations they visited, and which theme or story they participated in, and if there was any not-Jewish-family-friendly material?

I personally would probably go to Toms River or Long Branch, but those who've gone to other location please post as well, so all can benefit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics