Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
What can you do with a Math degree?
Previous  1  2

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:58 pm
nchr wrote:
Not very much. It is one of the worst degrees if you just have a bachelors. With a phd you can do a lot more.

Strongly disagree. I have a bachelor’s in math and have found it quite versatile.

finprof

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 9:09 pm
Whatever you want! What are you interested in? I got a PhD in finance (thus the uncreative seen name Wink)

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 9:46 pm
Can't find the source now but within the past several years "mathematician" was ranked as the number one field in American by U.S. News and World Report.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:09 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Accounting firms hire - especially the big ones - offer many services that are not accounting. Working for a big 4 does not necessarily mean you are an accountant.

Accounting - typical CPA accounting - is not heavy in math.

Yes that was exactly my point.

With a math degree, you can get a job working for an accounting firm. Not as an accountant. Not as a cpa. Just a BA with a major in math. And most of what you spend your time doing will be math.

As far as an accountant not being heavy in math, sub-specialties would be more so, such as forensic accounting, fiduciary accounting, etc.

mommyofmany22

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:25 pm
A quant. Excellent salary and growth potential.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 9:02 am
Open a fancy paper goods store! SmileI
I know a woman with a math degree who owns and runs a party store in her garage.

Oh. And she teaches math at a Jewish college, and maybe HS too Smile

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 9:26 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Yes that was exactly my point.

With a math degree, you can get a job working for an accounting firm. Not as an accountant. Not as a cpa. Just a BA with a major in math. And most of what you spend your time doing will be math.

As far as an accountant not being heavy in math, sub-specialties would be more so, such as forensic accounting, fiduciary accounting, etc.

It’s high school level math.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 10:10 am
My DH has a degree in math and actuarial science. Never finished his actuary exams and has been working in various diff industries since he graduated many years ago. He also taught himself a few programming languages and he is now CIO of a software company.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:42 pm
Public school /yeshiva teacher.

Programmer.

Or you can change careers and go to graduate school.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:46 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Are you looking to transition to something that does or does not utilize your major?

Does. I have a BS in math and I'm doing something in the field at the moment, but for practical reasons I may need to explore other options in the field.

I'd love to do programming or data science, but I'm open to exploring different options.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries