Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Fair cost- Flatbush

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 4:50 pm
I found someone to pick up my son each morning from the babysitter and walk him to the playgroup around the corner. The person will be taking their own son, as well (they live on the block of the babysitter). It's only in the morning, not back in the afternoon. They'll be doing it 5 days a week.

How much is a fair amount to pay? She didn't know, and I don't know, either.

(Please give a daily/weekly rate if possible, not monthly.)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 6:17 pm
Ask her if $25 a week sounds fair to her. If not, $30. These numbers make sense to me ($5-6 a day).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Ask her if $25 a week sounds fair to her. If not, $30. These numbers make sense to me ($5-6 a day).

Thank you very much!

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:01 pm
Not exactly the same, but the going rate for carpool drivers is $125 a month for one way, $225 for both ways or for 2 kids one way. (In flatbush. This is the rate I've paid for the past few years, 2 diff drivers)

That includes gas, and the driver is not taking her own kid to the playgroup. I'd think that if the person is walking her own child, and you're on the way, the rate should be lower. 25 a week sounds steep to me.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:12 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Not exactly the same, but the going rate for carpool drivers is $125 a month for one way, $225 for both ways or for 2 kids one way. (In flatbush. This is the rate I've paid for the past few years, 2 diff drivers)

That includes gas, and the driver is not taking her own kid to the playgroup. I'd think that if the person is walking her own child, and you're on the way, the rate should be lower. 25 a week sounds steep to me.

So should I go for $20 a week?

I don't want to rip them off. They're taking a huge load off my back.

shmosmom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:17 pm
$20-$25 sounds fair

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:34 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

That sounds like someone who is taking 4 children at a time and splitting the cost between all 4. Kind of like when you send to a group babysitter who takes $6 an hour per kid x5 kids but when she takes one kid besides her own it's $10 an your.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:52 pm
I'd say $25 a week is perfect.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 2:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
That sounds like someone who is taking 4 children at a time and splitting the cost between all 4. Kind of like when you send to a group babysitter who takes $6 an hour per kid x5 kids but when she takes one kid besides her own it's $10 an your.

She does fill her car, but each kid goes to a different playgroup. In OPs case the mother is walking her own kid to the playgroup, and would be walking OPs child as well. I couldnt tell if this would necessitate a detour/longer walk.

OP, ask her initially how much she would want. She's probably thought about it and has some number in her head.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 5:14 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
She does fill her car, but each kid goes to a different playgroup. In OPs case the mother is walking her own kid to the playgroup, and would be walking OPs child as well. I couldnt tell if this would necessitate a detour/longer walk.

OP, ask her initially how much she would want. She's probably thought about it and has some number in her head.

She told me she has no idea and asked if I want to ask around.

ETA: the babysitter lives on the same block- it's not out of the way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics