Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Vocal cord cyst
Previous  1  2

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 8:49 pm
I would definitely trust the ENT’s opinion over the pediatrician’s in this case, and start voice therapy. The ENT actually looked at your child’s vocal cords and understands what is going on. The pediatrician is not trained in this AT ALL.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 9:39 pm
I just wanted to chime in about the therapy- it is a big shlep going into the city weekly or biweekly but the therapists @ Rusk are fantastic. we did it last year. they're in the same building as dr. rickert.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
I just wanted to chime in about the therapy- it is a big shlep going into the city weekly or biweekly but the therapists @ Rusk are fantastic. we did it last year. they're in the same building as dr. rickert.

Thanks! I was recommended to use Shirley Gershon as a voice therapist there, are they all good or any1 specific you used there?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 4:34 pm
OP here. Thanks everyone that responded! I actually took DD to pediatrician today, saw a different doc in the practice and after hearing DD speak he said I should definitely take her for voice therapy. Now I gotta sort that out

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 6:08 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! I was recommended to use Shirley Gershon as a voice therapist there, are they all good or any1 specific you used there?

we went for speech/feeding so don't know her.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 6:48 pm
New amother here. We used Shirley Gherson for voice therapy for DS6, and she's fantastic. Warm, patient, and great with kids.

Unfortunately, she said that we won't see significant improvement until he hits puberty and his vocal cords thicken, but he learned how to manage his voice in the meantime.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 10:17 pm
amother wrote:
New amother here. We used Shirley Gherson for voice therapy for DS6, and she's fantastic. Warm, patient, and great with kids.

Unfortunately, she said that we won't see significant improvement until he hits puberty and his vocal cords thicken, but he learned how to manage his voice in the meantime.

Are you still seeing her? Why does your son need voice therapy, for vocal cord cyst?

In general how long do kids need to see a voice therapist for?

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 3:33 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
My son has been getting speech (not voice) therapy since he's 4. Part of protocol before getting approved, he needed a medical exam with an ENT. I believe we used Dr. Rosenfeld but I don't remember it was 6 years ago. He said that my son has nodules. Ok. I didn't think anything of it. (As a baby he was a screamer so I attributed it to that.)

Fast forward to last year (he's 10 now). I finally decided to check him out again since he is CONSTANTLY hoarse. It was going on for a few years but I never really thought it's bad(you get used to your own kid). Until I was doing reading homework with him one night and it hit me - his voice is really bad.

I made an appointment with Dr. Rickert. He said that he has 2 polyps on his vocal cords. He told my son how important it is for him to be careful with his voice otherwise he may need surgery. He recommended voice therapy and gave him a nasal spray to use which we did.

I found a good voice therapist. My son goes every week. After a few weeks, the therapist recommended we take him for a second opinion to a top voice doctor Dr. Woo.
Dr. Woo did the scope again (poor kid). He said that my son has a cyst on one side and the other side is injured from the trauma of the cyst banging against the other vocal chord every time he speaks. He explained in depth why it's a cyst and not a polyp, what the risks of surgery are, what my son can expect will happen to his voice if he doesn't cooperate with therapy etc... He told us to continue with voice therapy and follow up in a year.

It's not been a year yet but I see major major improvement with his voice! I wouldn't have believed it had the voice therapist not recorded him in the beginning. In the beginning my son wasn't very cooperative at home about watching his voice (he's quick to yell). After Dr. Woo spoke with him he became a lot more cooperative.

He's scheduled for a follow up in February iy"h. I hope it'll be good.

Hope this helps.

Hi! OP here

Was wondering how your son is doing?
My DC cyst is inflamed, seems like we’re heading in the direction of surgery. Hopefully not but it’s a big chance now

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 4:06 pm
I am a SLP and I specialize in voice. I would recommend getting your child evaluated and approved for voice therapy. If you live in Brooklyn, try Simi Blitman.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 4:55 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Hi! OP here

Was wondering how your son is doing?
My DC cyst is inflamed, seems like we’re heading in the direction of surgery. Hopefully not but it’s a big chance now

Bh at the checkup the dr. said he's doing great and doesn't even need to continue voice therapy.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 5:15 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Bh at the checkup the dr. said he's doing great and doesn't even need to continue voice therapy.

Does he need a follow up? Or he’s good to go

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 5:33 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Does he need a follow up? Or he’s good to go

He's good to go. He said he doesn't need to come back. If I want I can follow up in 5 years.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 10:05 pm
Bumping this up
Anyone else use Shirley Gherson and saw good results? Wanna try going there with DS5. Or if there’s another voice center to recommend in Brooklyn that takes insurance. Haven’t been successful finding one yet. Many for self pay but that seems to be minimum a 3k investment…
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics