Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How do you look Jewish??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 5:22 pm
Dd7 told me today that she thinks not all kids in day camp are jewish. They don't all look jewish.

I (asked her and now) you,
HOW DO YOU LOOK DIFFERENT BEING JEWISH?

We mix with all types of crowds, ranging from chareidi to otd.

What do you say?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 5:27 pm
Why don't you ask her? Ask her what makes her think so, if you really want to understand her attitude and thought process. She picked it up somewhere.

trixx

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 5:27 pm
Idk but dh can spot a "Yiddishe panim" from a mile away (on secular people) and he's always on target. No idea how.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 5:41 pm
trixx wrote:
Idk but dh can spot a "Yiddishe panim" from a mile away (on secular people) and he's always on target. No idea how.

How does he verify? Also that doesn't account for the ones he misses.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 5:50 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Why don't you ask her? Ask her what makes her think so, if you really want to understand her attitude and thought process. She picked it up somewhere.

Lol she said she knows someone is jewish when they make a brocho before they eat.
There's no black an white answer really is there???

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 6:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lol she said she knows someone is jewish when they make a brocho before they eat.
There's no black an white answer really is there???

Probably means the women are in pants and uncovered hair...kids don’t understand the concept of less frum/not frum but Jewish.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 6:37 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Probably means the women are in pants and uncovered hair...kids don’t understand the concept of less frum/not frum but Jewish.

That's why I'm trying to teach my kids they might not look like us or talk like us (we're yiddish speaking) but they are still a yid and hashem loves them just as much as he loves you

1ofbillions

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 6:39 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
That's why I'm trying to teach my kids they might not look like us or talk like us (we're yiddish speaking) but they are still a yid and hashem loves them just as much as he loves you

I respect that so much! Kudos, OP.

If you send your children to a chassidish school, how do you deal with the “non jews are evil” indoctrination?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 6:39 pm
Well, coming from a kid I would assume she meant "they don't look like the other Jewish people I know."

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 6:45 pm
1ofbillions wrote:

If you send your children to a chassidish school, how do you deal with the “non jews are evil” indoctrination?

It's not only the school I have to be worried about, my in laws are very racist and very into non Jews are evil/stupid...
But I try to counteract with hashem created them too... everyone tries to be good, do good. Point out the good I see in anyone, see this man stopped to let us go through, this woman opened the door for us...

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 6:54 pm
We are Black and my daughter has been told she isn’t Jewish because of her skin color Sad I try my hardest to reiterate that Jews come in all sizes, skin tones, levels of religiousness but I can understand how hard it is when all of your classmates are white, teachers are white, rabbis are white, etc. I have to remind myself, too, sometimes.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:05 pm
Some people have Jewdar. I don't know how it works.

my mama

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:06 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
We are Black and my daughter has been told she isn’t Jewish because of her skin color Sad I try my hardest to reiterate that Jews come in all sizes, skin tones, levels of religiousness but I can understand how hard it is when all of your classmates are white, teachers are white, rabbis are white, etc. I have to remind myself, too, sometimes.

Wow! That must be really hard for your daughter and even harder for you to have to see her go through that.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:22 pm
I've noticed that when people say someone looks Jewish, they generally mean they look like an Ashkenazi Jew. Jews come in all shapes and sizes.

I had an Israeli friend who used to walk around believing they were great at spotting Jews in America. Constantly "spotting" the Jew when we walked together, of course never could verify, so they just were convinced they were right. Never mind that it was clear that a person was the whitest tourist from middle America who probably didn't know Jews don't have horns. They were convinced they were right.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:24 pm
I know people who can spot a Jew. It has nothing to do with race.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:28 pm
There is a Jewish look...brown hair and eyes is probably the most common, but also certain types of facial features. (Obviouly a yemenite Jew looks different to an ashkenazi or Ethiopian Jew...I am talking here about ashkenazi Jews)

My mom is a convert and I resemble her. But you probably wouldnt know by looking at me. She has brown hair, light skin and blue green eyes. Plenty of Jews hsve blue eyes.

Many Jews nowadays have some non Jewish ancestry so yes, you can be of chinese descent and 100% Jewish.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:29 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Im orthodox chareidi (grew up openminded) and her father keeps nothing anymore. Therefore theres no "all jewish people do..." and she's learning that there are different levels e.g cholov akum/ shomered milk.

So I dont know why she made that comment re looking jewish. I had to refrain from asking if she thinks her dad looks jewish....

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:30 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Im orthodox chareidi (grew up openminded) and her father keeps nothing anymore. Therefore theres no "all jewish people do..." and she's learning that there are different levels e.g cholov akum/ shomered milk.

So I dont know why she made that comment re looking jewish. I had to refrain from asking if she thinks her dad looks jewish....

tigerwife

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:30 pm
Could she mean that they dress Jewish/non Jewish?

amother
White

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:51 pm
1ofbillions wrote:

I send my kids to chasidishe schools. They are not taught this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics