Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddlers in taxis

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:51 pm
Hi,

How do you safely bring toddlers in taxis when they are too big for rear facing car seats?

I know they have started to make some portable folding booster seats but those are for children who are at least 3 years old.

What do mothers with 2 year olds do in taxis?

Thanks!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:58 pm
Forward facing car seat, properly installed. It takes extra time, and it's a total pain in the ...

but it's worth the effort. If the taxi runs on a meter, then they have no right to gripe at you if you are taking extra time. If they are flat rate, offer them a bit extra for the time it takes you to buckle and unbuckle the seat.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:58 pm
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa.....gBEEc

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 2:02 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwj7le7vxJTkAhU4_-MHHU0EA7sYABAHGgJ5bQ&sig=AOD64_0OrSJJNFwrTRONKNzG5qI1cdhayA&adurl&ctype=5&ved=2ahUKEwib09zvxJTkAhXiGd8KHdFTAYsQwg96BAgBEEc

This looks like a product made in China without undergoing testing to make sure it meets safety standards.

Op, this will depend on your stroller, but if you have one with a big basket you can probably fit a compact car seat underneath.

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 3:47 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Forward facing car seat, properly installed. It takes extra time, and it's a total pain in the ...

but it's worth the effort. If the taxi runs on a meter, then they have no right to gripe at you if you are taking extra time. If they are flat rate, offer them a bit extra for the time it takes you to buckle and unbuckle the seat.

Do you find that most Taxis and ubers have easily accessible latches to secure them?

Is it easier to use LATCH, or to run the seatbelt through the back inside section of the car seat?

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 4:03 pm
For local trips I seatbelt toddlers. Long distance I take along their car seats.

MommyM

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 4:20 pm
63 wrote:
Do you find that most Taxis and ubers have easily accessible latches to secure them?

Is it easier to use LATCH, or to run the seatbelt through the back inside section of the car seat?

I find it easier to use the seatbelt through for taxis as it's much quicker than the LATCH system. And yes, it's a hassle bringing along a toddler car seat, but I do it for the safety of my kids.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 4:32 pm
63 wrote:

Seatbelt is often easier and just as safe.

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 4:35 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
For local trips I seatbelt toddlers. Long distance I take along their car seats.

Do you use the shoulder strap over their chest or just the lap belt?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:07 pm
63 wrote:
Hi,

How do you safely bring toddlers in taxis when they are too big for rear facing car seats?

I know they have started to make some portable folding booster seats but those are for children who are at least 3 years old.

What do mothers with 2 year olds do in taxis?

Thanks!

According to the AAP's newest recommendations, children should be seated in rear-facing carseats until age 4.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:10 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
According to the AAP's newest recommendations, children should be seated in rear-facing carseats until age 4.

I assume she means once they no longer fit in the rear facing easily transportable infant seats. Those don't last till 4. Most kids grow out of them around their first birthday.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:36 pm
63 wrote:
Do you use the shoulder strap over their chest or just the lap belt?

Either way would be very dangerous for a toddler in the case of an accident.

Ellie7

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 8:15 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:

According to the Internet: "An estimated 52 percent of car accidents occur within 5 miles of a person's home, and 77 percent occur within 15 miles or less, according to a study conducted by Progressive Insurance."

I don't know that the statistic is totally accurate, but I don't know why it would be safe to skip the carseat on a local trip...

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 6:11 pm
I can’t think of any 3 year olds that would still fit in a rear facing car seat...

Do they make toddler versions that I don’t know about?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 6:23 pm
Legally you don't need a car seat in a taxi. I only use as long as I have a kid in snap n go.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 6:23 pm
63 wrote:
I can’t think of any 3 year olds that would still fit in a rear facing car seat...

Do they make toddler versions that I don’t know about?

You've never seen a convertible car seat? It can be used either rear facing or forward facing. My kids fit into it until at least age 4-5 rear facing.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 6:25 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Legally you don't need a car seat in a taxi. I only use as long as I have a kid in snap n go.

Depends on the state, actually. Regardless, the fact that it's legal won't protect anyone in case of an accident.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 6:31 pm
This is expensive but tested.
https://www.amazon.com/Ride-Sa.....r=8-4

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 6:37 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Depends on the state, actually. Regardless, the fact that it's legal won't protect anyone in case of an accident.

This.

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 6:52 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This is expensive but tested.
https://www.amazon.com/Ride-Sa.....r=8-4

Yeah, it looks good. I hope the price comes down soon!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics