Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do I quit or not.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 9:59 pm
I have been offered a job by a friend of the family he had been helping me financially( raising money for me when I was out on disability) and a position in his practice opened up.
He told me it will be 2 days a week and what I was expected to do. The pay was very decent.
I got there knowing nothing about law.
I found it very hard to pick things up because the person training me was very fast and went from one thing to another and hated that I asked her so many questions. She was getting frustrated because I was not getting it and forgetting everything. Not sure why I was forgetting everything because I do very well and don’t forget thing at my other job.

Now for the things I was hired to do I think I know ok but there is much more I want to learn but she doesn’t want to teach me. She will show me but won’t take the time to teach me because she is just so busy.

I was just told they hired someone new who will be working 4 days a week and doing what I will be doing pretty much leaving me with nothing to do.
I would think they are firing me but they just order a credit card in my name so when I go somewhere for the business I don’t have to use my own money.
I saw everyone taking the time to teach the new person but they never did that with me. Today the person who runs the office came to me to tell me to show the new person what I am doing and then she came to check up and ask me what I did all day.
She never explains herself so it is hard for me. I’m the type who has to have everything clear and understand stuff but I get it after.

The problem is I really need this money and I don’t think I will get this pay anywhere else. But I dread going to work.
It’s making me sick.
My boss is a very nice guy but hard to talk to.

Jewishfoodie

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:05 pm
Maybe record what the person teaching you is saying and go over it at home? And write it out for clarity?
Also put together a list of your questions, no matter how banal, and say, "Who do I go to to have these questions answered" so maybe someone else there can help you too..
If you still feel it's not for you, after you made these efforts, it may not be for you. On the other hand, maybe you're not being trained properly so ask if it's possible to have a less busy person train u in

Much hatzlacha either way

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:38 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Maybe record what the person teaching you is saying and go over it at home? And write it out for clarity?
Also put together a list of your questions, no matter how banal, and say, "Who do I go to to have these questions answered" so maybe someone else there can help you too..
If you still feel it's not for you, after you made these efforts, it may not be for you. On the other hand, maybe you're not being trained properly so ask if it's possible to have a less busy person train u in

Much hatzlacha either way

Thank you
The problem is that there is no one else who could train me and she is the only one who I could ask.
I didn’t start out in the right foot because when I started I was sick. I should of told them I will start a bit later so I could recuperate but I didn’t and I was so overwhelmed because I didn’t know a thing and they refused to teach me. She would just come and tell me to call this person to set something up but will only tell me half what to do and she would be off doing something else.
As far as recording she goes so fast and jumps from one thing to another and it is hard to keep up plus I can’t always see the computer screen so well because of where I am sitting when she is showing me.
But she is sitting down at the new persons computer showing her stuff and she said no to me when I asked her.

1ofbillions

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:41 pm
This sounds so hard, OP. Starting a new job is always scary, and I’m so sorry that things have turned out this way.

I’d advise you to go to the person who offered you the job and explain your position. Say that you feel you’d be able to fulfill the job responsibilities better if you had a more detail oriented, available person training you in.

Don’t say anything to put the person training you in down, as that would likely get back to her, and it’s best to avoid making enemies in the workplace.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:03 am
If your family needs the money, don't quit. If you're not happy find a new job that pays as much but don't quit before you've secured a new position. It sounds like too good an opportunity to throw away.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I was just told they hired someone new who will be working 4 days a week and doing what I will be doing pretty much leaving me with nothing to do. .

Go to the person they hired four days a week and ask her for the low down of what to do.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 1:24 am
I totally feel for you OP!
I wasn't sick when I started my new job, I was an emotional Trainwreck though and the first 3-4 weeks didn't remember a thing I was told. I was confused all the time, asked a million questions and wanted to give up almost every single day. The only reason I stayed was because we really need the money and quitting without finding a new job wasn't an option. Also this job pays more than any other job I could get right now.
I made so many mistakes also important things which cost the firm money. But people were patient with me and now after 5 months I'd say I got the hang of it. I still do make mistakes, got a call yesterday for example. But I apologize , I also said in advance that I'd appreciate to be corrected if wrong and everyone is saying: we all started once and made mistakes.

You said you want to learn more.. are there books you can read, websites you can use for research at home?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 8:30 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I totally feel for you OP!
I wasn't sick when I started my new job, I was an emotional Trainwreck though and the first 3-4 weeks didn't remember a thing I was told. I was confused all the time, asked a million questions and wanted to give up almost every single day. The only reason I stayed was because we really need the money and quitting without finding a new job wasn't an option. Also this job pays more than any other job I could get right now.
I made so many mistakes also important things which cost the firm money. But people were patient with me and now after 5 months I'd say I got the hang of it. I still do make mistakes, got a call yesterday for example. But I apologize , I also said in advance that I'd appreciate to be corrected if wrong and everyone is saying: we all started once and made mistakes.

You said you want to learn more.. are there books you can read, websites you can use for research at home?

Problem is this office and the one training me are super efficient and they can’t Tolerate my mistakes or my lack of knowledge or my slowness.
I try to google what I don’t know but I am timed on some tasks so can’t look it up.
Everything is documented so she know how long it took me for each task and she is not happy with my performance.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 10:10 am
Do you think she would be open to gestures like buying her a Starbucks coffee, or something of that nature?
Ask her to show you things in 5 minute chunks. Keep a notebook handy, and jot things down as she's showing you, so you don't need to repeat, and you'll have them for reference.
Be extra helpful in areas where you have become proficient.
If worst comes to worst, you can wait until you get laid off, and collect unemployment until you find something else.
Can you see things improving over time, or do you feel you'll never be able to pick things up? If so, look for a less pressured job, even if you have to take a cut.
You might want to have one conversation (if possible) either with the owner, or with the supervisor, and find out what their plans are.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 10:17 am
While she's training the new employee, pull up a chair and say I'd love to join and get a refresher. I'll just sit quietly and watch.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 11:06 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
While she's training the new employee, pull up a chair and say I'd love to join and get a refresher. I'll just sit quietly and watch.

This!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 3:25 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

But the problem is they are usually in a different room than me.
Yes maybe by now I should know more but I am only there 2 days a week and I try to learn things on my own but there is no time.
Also she will give me filing to do but won’t tell me whose file it goes in so either I have to ask her which she hates or I have to look them up in the system and that takes away time then she asks me why I can’t do it faster.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 3:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes maybe by now I should know more but I am only there 2 days a week and I try to learn things on my own but there is no time.
Also she will give me filing to do but won’t tell me whose file it goes in so either I have to ask her which she hates or I have to look them up in the system and that takes away time then she asks me why I can’t do it faster.

So tell her why you can't do it faster.

Just do the best you can. You will get faster.

This does sound very frustrating though - are you allowed to listen to music while you work?

singleagain

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 3:54 pm
It sounds to me like your coworker was/is not a good teacher. She's getting annoyed that you can't do tasks fast enough... However, she didn't have the paitence to teach you?

That's really frustrating.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 5:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There's nothing wrong with joining them in another room.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 9:46 pm
Thank you all. I have no one IRL to talk about it and you all were so helpful and sympathetic.
I have been so sick with worry for tomorrow to see how she will treat me.
I wish I could be better at it but I don’t work the same as her.
I need to understand everything before I get it but she only tells me half of what to do.
She wanted me to send a document out. She just gave it to me to fill out but I didn’t have any information that I needed and she didn’t tell me where to find it and she left for the day. How am I to know what to do?
She gave me stuff for filing but the name on the documents was not the name I had to use to file so how am I suppose to know.
Also I just don’t know why but I just can’t seem to remember little things but at my other job that I have I remember everything.

I don’t see how she will take the time to train me anymore because this new person came in with more knowledge than me and gets it faster than me. I feel she thinks I am stupid but the fact is this is not my field of expertises I never liked it and always shied away from working in an environment like this.
Some people could go anywhere and pick things up quickly but I can’t. I am good and somethings but can’t grasp other things.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 10:20 pm
You might be better off leaving this job and finding something that’s a better fit. It sounds like this environment is making you miserable and that woman is making you insecure.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 10:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all. I have no one IRL to talk about it and you all were so helpful and sympathetic.
I have been so sick with worry for tomorrow to see how she will treat me.
I wish I could be better at it but I don’t work the same as her.
I need to understand everything before I get it but she only tells me half of what to do.
She wanted me to send a document out. She just gave it to me to fill out but I didn’t have any information that I needed and she didn’t tell me where to find it and she left for the day. How am I to know what to do?
She gave me stuff for filing but the name on the documents was not the name I had to use to file so how am I suppose to know.
Also I just don’t know why but I just can’t seem to remember little things but at my other job that I have I remember everything.

I don’t see how she will take the time to train me anymore because this new person came in with more knowledge than me and gets it faster than me. I feel she thinks I am stupid but the fact is this is not my field of expertises I never liked it and always shied away from working in an environment like this.
Some people could go anywhere and pick things up quickly but I can’t. I am good and somethings but can’t grasp other things.

If you are not remembering, then write it down. Yes, it will take a lot of time until you get the hang of it"" such that at first, you will be much slower. You will be faster, as she is, when you are doing this for more time. But, she seems to have her duties and therefore rushes you. You shld try slowing her down by asking a lot of questions and write everything down. Then, when you do it yourself, you can look in your notes until you know it without notes after getting more practice.

I feel so bad for you bec. You are so stressed since she is not training you properly. But, if you speak up about it, they may not appreciate it bec. They think you are "badmouthing" her. However, im sure she knows she is not training you well and maybe she doesnt care to put much time into you"" bec. You are "only there 2 days a week". So, you are stuck. Its very hard/stressful to be in this situation and I wish telling her that you need her to slow down would enable you to eventually(after more time n practice) work as fast as her. But, I know many times, "just talking" to these ppl "is not enough".

Im so sorry you are going through this.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 10:50 pm
I agree . Write it down. When she says file a doc somewhere, write a quick note in a notepad where you filed it so that next time you have the question you skim through your notepad instead of needing to ask her.
Do this with all your questions you ask. Once you can work without asking questions you will naturally speed up in all your work.
Some workplaces are more fast paced and this may be one of those. Not everyone is cut out for that. You may need to work in a calmer and slower atmosphere. You will know with time whether this is working or not. Try not to allow your insecurities to get in the way.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 7:17 pm
I went to work today and felt like I was in a hostile environment.
Everyone was friendly but not with the same friendliness that there was. My coworker kind of gave up on me. She is training the other person and I feel she is waiting for me to quit.
I am not sure if it is coming from her or from my boss.
I wish they would talk to me but instead she is looking behind my back asking me what I have left to do.
The boss is on vacation and before he went I asked him if I could take a day off and work on one of my off days he said fine.
I said good bye today to my coworker and I told her I will be in on Wednesday to make up my day and she told me not to. She will be out and the new person will be there so she told me to not come in.
She then told me to give the new person all my work I haven’t finished yet.
I just hate it. I am getting sick from this but I really need the money.

Thank you all for your support it means a lot to me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics