Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Children that have a hard time falling asleep
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 10:11 pm
Any ideas what to do with a 7 year old who has a really hard time falling sleep. Could be in bed since 7/8 and by 10/11 still up...

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 10:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Any ideas what to do with a 7 year old who has a really hard time falling sleep. Could be in bed since 7/8 and by 10/11 still up...

Ya, she can come hang out way 7 yo doing the same...

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 11:08 pm
Melatonin. I know there are very mixed opinions on this but when you have a poor miserable kid who is genuinely tired, doing all the right relaxing strategies, and just can't make that transition from awake to asleep - you gotta just do what works.

But have you tried a later bedtime? What time does she wake up? 7 can be early for some kids.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 11:10 pm
Reading or playing the book the bunny who couldn’t fall asleep or some meditative music

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 11:25 pm
seeker wrote:
Melatonin. I know there are very mixed opinions on this but when you have a poor miserable kid who is genuinely tired, doing all the right relaxing strategies, and just can't make that transition from awake to asleep - you gotta just do what works.

But have you tried a later bedtime? What time does she wake up? 7 can be early for some kids.

We asked a ped endo about melo. She said have her drink a cup of milk... uh, I’ll let you know when we try it LOL
But I guess some kids are just programmed late (I guess they are eventually the night owls like the parents?) my daughter falls asleep in the 10’ish range but sleeps till around 8- so that’s 10 hrs which is in the normal range for this age.
(Just frustrating for me as I *start* my night later...)

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 11:29 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
We asked a ped endo about melo. She said have her drink a cup of milk... uh, I’ll let you know when we try it LOL
But I guess some kids are just programmed late (I guess they are eventually the night owls like the parents?) my daughter falls asleep in the 10’ish range but sleeps till around 8- so that’s 10 hrs which is in the normal range for this age.

No, mine has a hard time waking up and is tired the next day when she doesn't sleep (she does need less sleep than most kids but not enough to make up for the amount of time it can take to fall asleep.) But yes my nights are so dysfunctional when she doesn't fall asleep! I need to get into a productivity zone before I get too tired, and I can't do that if I keep getting called for help because she's tired and can't fall asleep. So, melatonin and pray. Very small dose. Usually helps but even then not always. Tonight for instance I haven't gotten a thing done Sad

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 11:32 pm
Music was very helpful for me.

Geulanow

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 11:56 pm
Don't give her too many carbs before supper. Take her for a walk and discuss her day while doing so. Then a nice warm bath and a good book to read. No electronics. Wait until 8. Also, maybe check her vitamin D levels.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:07 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
*we asked a ped endo about melo. She said have her drink a cup of milk... uh, I’ll let you know when we try it LOL

What does the bolded mean? That she doesn't recommend it or that it works as much as a cup of milk?
I'm curious because I give it to some of my kids and it works like a charm.(a quarter of a 0.3 mg tablet!)
Afaik no side effects, if anyone knows otherwise or noticed anything please let me know!

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:09 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
What does the bolded mean? That she doesn't recommend it or that it works as much as a cup of milk?
I'm curious because I give it to some of my kids and it works like a charm.(a quarter of a 0.3 mg tablet!)
Afaik no side effects, if anyone knows otherwise or noticed anything please let me know!

Hmm good question! I didn’t think so much into it.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:11 am
I have the same issue w my 7 year old. When I give him maletonim he cries a lot in middle of the night so I try to avoid it. Someone suggested calcium, I didn’t try yet.

aliavi

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:13 am
1) sleep mask or blackout curtains
2)sound machine
3) weighted blanket
4) end drinks earlier and take an extra toilet trip just to try.
5) consistent routine with bathing.
6) lavender scented lotion or essential oils

aliavi

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:14 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I have the same issue w my 7 year old. When I give him maletonim he cries a lot in middle of the night so I try to avoid it. Someone suggested calcium, I didn’t try yet.

Magnesium can help but too much can cause diarrhea.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 1:05 am
aliavi wrote:
1) sleep mask or blackout curtains
2)sound machine
3) weighted blanket
4) end drinks earlier and take an extra toilet trip just to try.
5) consistent routine with bathing.
6) lavender scented lotion or essential oils

Literally tried it all with mine. But yes, those are all good ideas to try. I think some people's bodies just don't know how to get to sleep!

aliavi

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 1:10 am
seeker wrote:
Literally tried it all with mine. But yes, those are all good ideas to try. I think some people's bodies just don't know how to get to sleep!

Like mine Banging head

mig100

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 1:12 am
aliavi wrote:
Like mine Banging head

Like me. At least I have ima to keep me company Wink

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 8:06 am
As I kid I had the same issue. I figured out when I moved to Israel (where we have heavy blinds that shut out every sliver of light called trissim) that I fall asleep almost immediately when a room is pitch black.

Over the years I've been able to learn to sleep with a bit more light. Like from a glow in the dark sticker in the room (it used to be I wouldn't fall asleep if there was anything like that).

teachkids

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 8:09 am
Try letting him get into bed with an audiobook. It may help him relax enough to drift off. And worst case he's quiet in bed so you have your time.

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 8:17 am
teachkids wrote:
Try letting him get into bed with an audiobook. It may help him relax enough to drift off. And worst case he's quiet in bed so you have your time.

This!
In my days there were no audio books and my kids went to bed listening to Rabbi Burstyns children's stories. They are available today on mp3 I think, but you have to check.

The stories are fascinating, his delivery is beyond terrific and they learned so so much about tanach and Torah stories.. There are literally hundreds of hours of stories. They are called children's Torah tapes I think. Or look up Rabbi Burstyns in California as he has a website to sell his stories and niggunim.

They were a game changer!

mommy12

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 9:33 am
I have the same problem with my 8 year old. He tells me sleeping is boring and I think he can't shut down his mind. We tried tapes and stories and music and melatonin (even with a double dose he is wide awake) and he kicks off the blanket so a weighted one wouldn't help. It's impossible to get him to fall asleep. I totally feel for you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics