Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When my ADD affects my kids

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 9:42 pm
I have ADD-like symptoms (which a few therapists have told me are actually coming from complex trauma). I have been working really hard, with therapy and self-help techniques, to try to learn to plan in advance, be proactive, regulate emotions, anticipate everyone's needs, etc. But since I had a baby a few months ago, I have regressed. Postpartum hormones really affect my memory. Many of the systems that I used need to be revamped due to the baby's added needs and unpredictability. The lack of sleep doesn't help. I am at the point that my planners and lists don't help because I will either forget to look, or forget that I looked. My kids are really feeling it and complaining that I never remember to have what they need. "Ma, you never remember anything" How can I prevent damage to their trust in me while we navigate through this post-baby phase?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 9:43 pm
No advice, OP, but you sound like me in a few years when my kids get older...

amother
Red

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 10:14 pm
Can you ask them to remind you?

perry2020

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 7:50 am
Maybe you can set up reminders on your phone with an alarm so u don't forget. Works like a charm for me...

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 8:03 am
try a little recorder wear it like a necklace you can record whatever you need to remember at night u can listen to it.....

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:15 am
I have trouble w auditory attention and it's definitely worse postpartum or when I'm sick. You need to train your kids to get your attention.
My oldest is really cute about it. "mommy! Mommy I need you to look at me when I'm talking to you!" I davka train them to talk like that even though some may find it bordering on chutzpah because I need it to bring my focus back to them.
I also teach them about writing things down and reminders, and that mommy sometimes forgets even though she loves you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics