Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What do you feed your one year old?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:09 am
How often do you feed your one year old?
What do you give for meals and snacks?

My baby is quite fussy with eating and I am trying to slowly wean her off nursing. But I need to make sure she is eating enough before I do so.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:22 am
Do you like spoonfeeding your baby? Do you like making her separate meals? Do you mind if she makes a mess? Is she used to a high chair?

For me the answer is no to all of the above, so I give her whatever everyone else is eating.

So breakfast time she gets things like slices of cheese, pieces of bread or crackers, small container of dry cereal.

For snacks, hard boiled eggs, chunks of banana, split grapes, pretzels, etc.

Lunch time, small piece of a sandwich.

Dinner, small container of pasta, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, small pieces of chicken, rice, hot dog strips, fish sticks, etc.

I give her water juice from a cup, I suppose I should get her a sippy one of these days.....

I am not trying to wean, though, so I really don't stress about it.

Rappel

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:27 am
Try this: Feed her first, and only nurse afterward if she asks for it.

At this point, your milk is nutritionally little better than water. The antibodies are greatly reduced, and while there is always value to mother's milk, she can no longer thrive solely on it. It's important for her to transfer her appetite to food, and to only use nursing for comfort/"juice."

At that age, I remember it being food on demand, but at least as often as I had been nursing her previously. She'll only eat a few spoonfuls a day. She should have free access to water at this point, and mealtime access to milk.

As for what to feed: We had a lot of success with chicken and vegetables from chicken soup on couscous, quinoa, sweet potato, and various cut-up fruits and vegetables. Brown rice with cheese was also a big hit. Hatzlacha!

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:19 am
A normal healthy child will eat or drink less preferred foods if they are hungry or thirsty. If your child does not seem to notice hunger or thirst, do not be strict about weaning them!

make sure you solve the medical or feeding problems before you address the eating, or else you can easily end up with a child on a feeding tube.

I have had both types of kids, and the normal children are super easy to wean. even if they fuss a little bit, they will always drink enough and eat enough to survive.

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 11:45 am
My one year old eats most anything that's not a choking hazard. For example, today for breakfast she had cheerios, watermelon, and yogurt. We were out most of the day so during that time she snacked on pita, pretzels, applesauce, and a peanut butter sandwich. When we got home she had strawberry yogurt, more cheerios, and cucumber slices. For supper I shared my stir fry with her and she ate noodles, tofu, and sweet potato.

Other favorites are cottage cheese, cut up hot dogs, broccoli, eggs, mushrooms in cream sauce, sliced tomatoes, chumus, avocado, banana, and, of course, bamba.

This one is also my first kid who has figured out how to eat from food pouches without squeezing it out all over herself and it's a total game changer. Fruit and veggie purees and yogurts that I can just hand her to feed herself instead of spoon feeding her is great.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:37 pm
My one year old likes to nurse a lot. But
I’m trying to get him to eat more. Some things he eats:

Cereal - Cheerios
Banana
Whole milk yogurt
Eggs - hard boiled sliced, scrambled
Toast with cream cheese
Grilled cheese
Pizza
Avocado
Diced chicken
Cholent
Potato kugel
Veggies from chicken soup
Pasta
Sliced cheese
Diced fruit - peaches, plums, watermelon, melon.
Loves eating whole soft fruit with pot removed. Like plums. Keeps him really busy.
Can corn
Sliced hearts of palm
Smashed chick peas

He prefers feeding himself.

Starting to introduce milk in a sippy cup. So far he doesn’t like I’m trying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics