Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Strangers touching infant

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:07 am
Is it considered socially acceptable for complete strangers to walk over to a baby and stroke him or try to hold his finger ? It really bothers me from a germ perspective and this already happened twice in the last week . Is it ok for me to say please don't touch him?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:13 am
Yes it’s ok to tell them no touching-
that sweet baby is a magnet of positive energy -- I redirect peoples hands away and depending upon the age of baby and the situation let them touch her clothed feet. If a newborn I nicely say Doctor's orders no touching with a smile and move her away though I understand their innate desire to touch a baby a little miracle.
I understand it but I don't like it either. Germs. and my job is to protect my little sweetie.

imasinger

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:15 am
Yes, it's OK for you to say no.

No, it's not polite to start touching a stranger's baby without permission from a parent, but it happens.

To minimize germs, if you're uncomfortable telling someone not to touch your baby altogether, you can ask them only to touch a covered foot.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:06 am
Of course. The baby is yours, not public property, and you have to advocate for him. Chucking him under the chin is no more acceptable than doing the same to you.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:26 am
I never understood this, until I had a baby of my own. Now I get it!

If I do touch at all, I always touch a clothed foot. Usually I just make a big smile with big eyes, and wave "Hello!" to see if I can get the baby to smile.

If the baby is asleep, do not touch or interact under any circumstances! You have no idea how long it might have taken for the mom to get the baby to nap. She could have been pushing that stroller for HOURS. Do NOT interfere!

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 6:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it considered socially acceptable for complete strangers to walk over to a baby and stroke him or try to hold his finger ? It really bothers me from a germ perspective and this already happened twice in the last week . Is it ok for me to say please don't touch him?

I so hate, I could cry when somebody just strokes babys cheek! I have no problem saying don‘t touch but it happens too quickly normally.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 8:22 am
Oh I absolutely hate and can't stand when anyone touches my baby. I tell them to you can look but not touch.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 9:02 am
I would never do this, but medically, the germs are actually good for the baby. The immune system needs to be exposed to a certain amount of normal germs at a young age in order to develop properly.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 9:34 am
My baby is exposed to his siblings germs and the germs they bring home from school. They don't need a stranger's germs to be healthy.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 9:36 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Oh I absolutely hate and can't stand when anyone touches my baby. I tell them to you can look but not touch.

Why?

icebreaker

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 9:46 am
I never let any stranger touch my kids. It’s honestly baffling to me that strangers think it is okay to touch someone else’s baby.

rivkam

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 11:44 am
You guys must not be in israel! Walking around with a baby here it's just unavoidable. Everyone will touch your baby

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 11:55 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I would never do this, but medically, the germs are actually good for the baby. The immune system needs to be exposed to a certain amount of normal germs at a young age in order to develop properly.

My doctor told me not to let strangers touch my baby and not to go to public places when they are real newborns and don't have a developed immune system. And if a newborn gets fever the baby will have to be hospitalized. That was enough for me.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:00 pm
Old ladies are the worst about this. I keep my newborns covered because some of them think its okay to touch them. My husband once yelled at a random lady for touching my baby.

It must be a generational thing... It's a lot of 80-90 year olds where I live.

satmerer

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:46 pm
I would tell them before the touching is about to happen. before they reach their hand out.

polka dots

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 2:15 pm
I don’t see what the big deal is. I mean I wouldn’t pass around my baby for everyone to touch. But I don’t see the major harm a pat on the cheek or a tickle under the chin can do. I don’t touch random people’s babies as I pass them by, but if your asking if it’s socially acceptable, I think it is.
ETA I also think it’s ok for you not to allow that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette