Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Putting Computer to sleep

amother

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 11:33 am
I used to be able to put my computer on standby and it would stay like that until I pressed a button. Now, the standby lasts as long as it pleases, usually only a very short time (like 1-5 minutes) and then it starts up again on its own. Its also weird, b/c once in a while it will go into standby mode on its own. Any suggestions? I can't keep turning it off, as I use it very often, but I would like it to 'sleep' for long hours at a time (like when I am sleeping, or out of the house). Thanks.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 11:46 am
What do you mean by putting your computer to sleep? Why don't you just shut down the computer?

amother

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 4:46 pm
I mean putting it on standby. For example, when I walk away from the computer for a hour or two, I want it to go into standby mode so that it is more energy efficient, but lately it won't stay in that mode.

su7kids

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 4:52 pm
I'm not sure, but I'm big into defragging these days.

I should tell you, when my son was living here with his 5 computers and our electricity bill went through the roof, we did research and found out its not the hard drive that's chewing up the electricity, its the monitors. So, you can just put off your monitor if you walk away from the computer, and then put it back on again when you come back. (if energy saving is your issue).

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 5:59 pm
I also heard that if the monitor over heats from being on too long it can cause a fire. I make it a habit to turn mine off when I'm leaving for a lengthy amount of time.

yrs1025

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 6:25 pm
Go to control panel and then power options. You can change the settings there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics