Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
House Warming Gift Ideas

madys

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 1:05 pm
My very good friend has downsized and moved from a large house to an apartment.

I really want to get her something nice as a housewarming gift. She has sold a lot of things from her house and I really don't want to give her something that would clutter the apartment.

Also, she is planning on making aliyah in a few years, so she is really getting rid of a lot of things.

Any ideas? (She's in her upper 40s)

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 1:13 pm
A nice mezuza case. A tablecloth, if she got a new, smaller table.

shmosmom

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 1:14 pm
I love personalized gifts, like doormats. The mezuzah case is nice too.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 1:15 pm
My go to gift is usually a kitchen or dining room wall clock. Sometimes a tablecloth or small centerpiece.

madys

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 1:27 pm
Thanks everyone, good ideas!

Hmmm, maybe a mezuzah case is a good idea. She probably had to leave her mezuzahs for the new buyers, but wouldn't she have taken the cases?

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 2:50 pm
A different type of suggestion would be something for her that gets used up but lets her know you care since she is getting rid of her possessions anyway.

You can do bath salts and a scented candle for a pampering experience. Or a special box of chocolates? Or flowers for her first Shabbos in her new home.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 2:52 pm
madys wrote:
Thanks everyone, good ideas!

Hmmm, maybe a mezuzah case is a good idea. She probably had to leave her mezuzahs for the new buyers, but wouldn't she have taken the cases?

Sorry if this is off topic.. why would you leave your mezuzahs? And not take them with you?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 2:59 pm
singleagain wrote:
Sorry if this is off topic.. why would you leave your mezuzahs? And not take them with you?

there are Halachos about taking down a mezuzah, many say you are not allowed to if the people moving in are frum.

You can take them down if you are going to paint and take them down anyway because of that.

When we moved not so long ago, we left our mezuzahs in my old house because frum tenants were moving in. We had to buy new mezuzahs for our new house, because we bought it from someone who had never put up mezuzahs, since he used it only as a summer home or for weekends and had never put permanent mezuzahs up. It cost a pretty penny, actually.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:24 pm
Chayalle wrote:
there are Halachos about taking down a mezuzah, many say you are not allowed to if the people moving in are frum.

You can take them down if you are going to paint and take them down anyway because of that.

When we moved not so long ago, we left our mezuzahs in my old house because frum tenants were moving in. We had to buy new mezuzahs for our new house, because we bought it from someone who had never put up mezuzahs, since he used it only as a summer home or for weekends and had never put permanent mezuzahs up. It cost a pretty penny, actually.

That is really interesting. In that case, buying or contributing to a klaf would probably be really nice and appreciated.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:26 pm
Personally I’d love something green. A beautiful plant or small potted tree.

familyfirst

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:31 pm
If she’s downsizing she probably doesn’t want more stuff.
How about a gift certificate for a night out? A massage? Make her dinner? A professional organizer to help her unpack? We canisters for sugar, flour etc to keep her closets neat?
Outdoor plant?
Whatever you do, Do not buy more stuff unless you know she needs something in particular!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:37 pm
Chayalle wrote:

AIUI, its not if they're "frum," but if they're Jewish. I guess that you could AYLOR if the new owner/resident is Jewish, but clearly areligious. Like if they asked what restaurants are open on Yom Kippur, and told you that the spot where you hung your ketubah would be a great place for their leadership award from the Atheists of the World Society.

You can, of course, leave the klaf in a cheap case, and take your fancy beloved ones with you.

All of which is to say that a new mezuzzah / klaf makes a great gift.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:41 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
My go to gift is usually a kitchen or dining room wall clock. Sometimes a tablecloth or small centerpiece.

I think that decor gifts are really problematic, especially something that is always out, like a clock or centerpiece (a tablecloth is great, they can use when they want).

Decor is so personal. I would not want to be given a clock that I felt I had to hang.

Dina2018

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:41 pm
Maybe a beautiful Havdala candle?

Bluesky 1

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 12:37 pm
gift certificate

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 3:01 pm
Chayalle wrote:

We took them off on out first apt since we didnt now who would be moving in after, if they would be Jewish.
When we sold our house to frum Jews we made a deal that when they put their mezuzahs up they will give ours back.
We asked a Rav both times.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics