Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to avoid the after-work crumble?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 2:29 pm
Not to mention that right now I'm also expecting, but I work full-time on a school based calendar, and I'm looking for suggestions on how to avoid the post-work crumble. Like I get home from work--mostly a desk job, but some running around, nothing too physically demanding, but can be mentally taxing. I come home and I just want to collapse. My husband does this too--similar nature job, just he works from home 9-5 all year round. I feel bad for my kids that from 4-7pm we're just too tired to move. We try to eat healthy. I drink some coffee, I don't like drinking too much, or too late b/c I get the munchies and jittery when it wears off and right now I shouldn't be drinking too much. Any suggestions?
My husband does a lot around the house.

p.s. I've had my blood checked, I'm not anemic, or thyroid issues.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 2:43 pm
I like to walk home from work (15 min) to clear my head.

Then I usually have a small 8oz cup of a low caffeine beverage I like trader joes matcha boxed drink or a hot tea in the winter. Its just enough caffeine to get me through a few hours but not enough to keep me up all night.

I also find I do a lot better when I set myself up for success. I cook on Sundays so I just have to put dinner in the oven to warm up. Sometimes I nurse my baby while its warming other times I clean up in the kitchen. I have some health issues and a nursing baby so I kind of have to seize the moment when I get a burst of energy so sometimes I will serve DH and the kids dinner and go throw in a load of laundry or sweep up while they eat dinner. Other days I eat with them. I really just go with my natural energy and sometimes it means doing things at weird hours lol,

rivkam

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 2:49 pm
It's such a struggle. For me the trick is not to sit down when I get home or sit down but set a time limit for how long I sit. Then I get on with whatever housework is needed straight away. DH then does whatever is left later on for example I'll make dinner and he'll wash the dishes.

It's definitely a battle to be disciplined enough to not crash. I also try and congratulate myself for the small things I do and not get down about how much housework is still left to do. When I'm positive then I'm more productive.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:07 pm
Don't fight the crash. It makes it more exhausting. Plan for it.
Use the restroom before you leave work. Have a snack.
Have dinner cooking while you're out and come home to hot food.
Have a seat that you can relax in while the kids sit around the table to eat dinner and you can engage them in conversation with hour feet up.
It's ok to occasionally say kids if you get into PJs an hour early I will let you watch for an hour/use a special toy/make a craft.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:20 pm
I crash and it is a regular part of my schedule. I nap almost every day for 40 min to an hour, and then wake up refreshed to be with my family.
I find that if I don't nap, I just drag around exhausted and do nothing. I also eat nonstop in a desperate attempt to get energy.
Of course, napping only works if your kids are a bit older and can be alone for an hour.

smss

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 7:25 pm
You and DH are both home? Can you take turns watching the kids while the other rests/naps?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:54 pm
Bumping this up- any other tips? Not pregnant but also fall apart when I get home...

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:10 pm
Coffee, lunch, 10 minute nap.
Lists, lists, lists.
Prioritize
What errands are an absolute must right away, which errands can wait for later...
Can you Delagate some of your workload to a mothers-helper (a high school girl, looking to make some little cash)?
A mothers helper can wash dishes, do the laundry, bath kids, watch and play with the kids while you relax or nap...

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:11 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Bumping this up- any other tips? Not pregnant but also fall apart when I get home...

Someone mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating: Take your lunch and snack with you and EAT it before you come home. DON'T COME HOME HUNGRY.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics