Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Wonder of becoming you

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 12:40 pm
Does this book discuss practical tips of how to deal with having your period?

We already had many discussions, but dd is the type to be a bit overwhelmed by the regular taking care of herself in this way.

Don't know if any other mothers here can relate to what I am concerned about. She is a little awkward, not so good about taking care of herself in other areas..... it's hard for me to imagine her handling this well.

I'm feeling a bit like "ready or not, here it comes" whether the girl is mature enough to handle it....

Can anyone relate? Can this book help?

bsy

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 12:45 pm
The American girl book is probably better for that

miami85

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 12:48 pm
I can't say I loved the book. I grew up with a post-menopausal mother and one older sister who didn't live at home, so mostly so it wasn't something I was overly familiar with. I think it scared me a little bit b/c of how it described cramps. Can't say I have a better suggestion though.

giselle

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 12:55 pm
bsy wrote:
The American girl book is probably better for that

I didn’t love the impression I got from the reviews. Sounds like it might give them body image issues.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 12:59 pm
It's been a while since I've read it, but I'm pretty sure it did cover it a bit. I remember it mentioning that you could get a pad from the school nurse (because I remember thinking I would rather bury myself alive than ask the nurse for a pad)

But it is very nicely written and down to earth. As for practical tips, if you feel like the book doesn't have enough, why not supply them yourself? Tell her how often to change her pad, how to get some to the bathroom discreetly, what to do if she gets her period unexpectedly, etc.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 1:05 pm
Thanks everyone!

Sounds like I will have to read them myself to see.

I've discussed a lot with her, but just thought a book can be helpful as well.

I will also google helpful tips and see if there is anything I didn't think of. Anyone who has anything to add that will be helpful, please share.

I already dealt with the feelings and physical, scientific stuff. Just looking for practical....

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 1:25 pm
For us, after teaching her about maturing and menstruation, we found the 1st American Girl book to be helpful. (2nd one doesn't align with the way we'd teach about s-x).
When she's interested in more scientific information about her own reproductive system, you can go through The Wonder of Becoming You book together with her. It doesn't mention anything about the male involvement though.
Regarding marital intimacy, do this on your own. If you need specifics, let us know and we'll try to help.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 1:28 pm
giselle wrote:
I didn’t love the impression I got from the reviews. Sounds like it might give them body image issues.

In what way?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children