Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Which famous jews in show bizz -can you name?
Previous  1  2  3

MrsLeo

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 8:45 pm
ny21 wrote:

what is yob? what school is that?

yob is Yeshiva Of Brooklyn, Its a bais yaakov type school in flatbush.

bashinda

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 8:59 pm
mimivan wrote:

Harrison Ford is aware he is Jewish. He isn't frum, but has a good attitude about it. I read and article--I'm sure he doesn't really know what it "means" though. He appeared with Gene Wilder in Frisco Kid, so maybe Gene taught him a thing or two.

Interesting...do you know Kirk Douglas is a Baal teshuvah? He wrote a book about it.

Stephen Fry is Jewish. Maybe one reason he doesn't identify more is that he is gay. But he is a celibate gay (I heard an interview on the BBC about 10 years ago, and don't know if this has changed). It was really kind of sad because you can see how hard it is for some of these people to do the right thing. He says he's gay by inclination, but doesn't want to live the lifestyle (maybe that is his pintele yid talking)

Some of My favorite Jews in Showbiz: David Mamet, Tom Stoppard, Steven Sondheim, Jerry Seinfeld, Harrison Ford (you mentioned), Gene Wilder, Mel Brooks, Bea Arthur, (I"m really dating myself!) Rob and Carl Reiner, Jeff Goldblum, Alot more (but I don't go to movies or plays anymore, as you can tell by the age of the people on my list)

People alot of people think are Jewish and are not: Ben Stiller, Ben Affleck, Steve Martin, Kevin Kline and Roman Polanski (3 Jewish grandparents, maternal grandmother not Jewish. He's a great artist, but given the crime he committed, kind of a relief he's not Jewish)

I deleted my post.

I knew about Kirk Douglas. B"H he did teshuva, I did know that. I'm glad Harrison Ford has some shyches to yiddishkeit at least. I had read about Fry saying he was a yid but with no real proof to back it up so hey if he's a yid fine with me. (Before I became frum my favorite shows were Fry and Laurie and Blackadder. Oh dear. It was shtus. Clever shtus but shtus!)

I never thought Steve Martin was Jewish. He just seems so waspy to me. (Is that rude?) I always thought Amy Irving was Jewish and she isn't but afaik Kate Kapshaw converted orthodox so she's mamesh a Jew. And Spielberg's mother was a BT way before most people were which I also find inspiring.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 9:24 pm
spilbergs nieces go to yeshivah and his mom owns a kosher restaurant .

jewgal84

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 9:36 pm
http://video.google.com/videop.....95981

ny21

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 9:42 pm
thnaks for the link

momluv

Post Sun, Nov 25 2007, 11:15 pm
The timing is right for that link but the guy sings off tune, not a good voice at all. Also, there is no such thing as a quarter or half jewish.

bashinda

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 8:29 am
Adam Sandler either doesn't care or doesn't know (most likely the latter) about who is a Jew al pi halacha and it's geared towards other Jews who are in the same boat as he is.

He's not a professional singer he's a comedian / actor so his voice isn't meant to sound nice. There's a few versions of the song.

mimivan

Post Mon, Nov 26 2007, 8:32 am
bashinda wrote:
mimivan wrote:

Harrison Ford is aware he is Jewish. He isn't frum, but has a good attitude about it. I read and article--I'm sure he doesn't really know what it "means" though. He appeared with Gene Wilder in Frisco Kid, so maybe Gene taught him a thing or two.

Interesting...do you know Kirk Douglas is a Baal teshuvah? He wrote a book about it.

Stephen Fry is Jewish. Maybe one reason he doesn't identify more is that he is gay. But he is a celibate gay (I heard an interview on the BBC about 10 years ago, and don't know if this has changed). It was really kind of sad because you can see how hard it is for some of these people to do the right thing. He says he's gay by inclination, but doesn't want to live the lifestyle (maybe that is his pintele yid talking)

Some of My favorite Jews in Showbiz: David Mamet, Tom Stoppard, Steven Sondheim, Jerry Seinfeld, Harrison Ford (you mentioned), Gene Wilder, Mel Brooks, Bea Arthur, (I"m really dating myself!) Rob and Carl Reiner, Jeff Goldblum, Alot more (but I don't go to movies or plays anymore, as you can tell by the age of the people on my list)

People alot of people think are Jewish and are not: Ben Stiller, Ben Affleck, Steve Martin, Kevin Kline and Roman Polanski (3 Jewish grandparents, maternal grandmother not Jewish. He's a great artist, but given the crime he committed, kind of a relief he's not Jewish)

I deleted my post.

I knew about Kirk Douglas. B"H he did teshuva, I did know that. I'm glad Harrison Ford has some shyches to yiddishkeit at least. I had read about Fry saying he was a yid but with no real proof to back it up so hey if he's a yid fine with me. (Before I became frum my favorite shows were Fry and Laurie and Blackadder. Oh dear. It was shtus. Clever shtus but shtus!)

I never thought Steve Martin was Jewish. He just seems so waspy to me. (Is that rude?) I always thought Amy Irving was Jewish and she isn't but afaik Kate Kapshaw converted orthodox so she's mamesh a Jew. And Spielberg's mother was a BT way before most people were which I also find inspiring.

I have no idea why I thought Steve Martin might be Jewish. My mother did...maybe its because we liked his comedy so much Wink

First Lady

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 1:40 am
ny21 wrote:
Blossom wrote:
Yeah, I didn't know Sara Paxton is Jewish. I am KRAZYYYYYY about her. She is the prettiest woman I've seen in hollywood so far. And I love her songs and her voice!!!

she is also a great actress and has a goodsense of homour.

I think she is the young girl on the Liar Liar film

mimivan

Post Wed, Nov 28 2007, 1:59 am
ny21 wrote:
is johnny depp jewish?
I do no think that sharon osbourne is jewish.
what is yob? what school is that?

Curious about Depp so I looked it up on Wikki...He has German, Irish, French and Cherokee ancestry. Doesn't seem like he's Jewish.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics