Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Intermittent Fasting
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pesek zman

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 11:05 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Shabbat dinner is at like 8/9 PM right now. How do you do it?

I have to ease it in Friday nights now. But I still wait till 9am to eat. My husband (whose doing it too) adjusts his 14 hours accordingly so for example won’t eat till 11am if we finish at 9. But I can’t do that

corolla

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 11:39 am
I've actually doing it this past week, and I feel great. I'm pretty hungry by 12 PM, but even then, I'm finding that the food I eat keeps me full for longer and I'm less hungry throughout the rest of the day.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:26 pm
I have always fasted without knowing about if bec I always skipped breakfast and didnt eat until lunch.

Now, I started doing fasting for 20 or 21 hrs together with low carb. But, I'm not losing weight. Im having trouble squishing all my calories into that short time period. I get full fast, so since I'm trying to eat healthier, I'm not getting that many calories in the 3 hr eating window.

Either in not losing weight bec I'm not eating enough calories in eating window or because maybe my body has a fatty liver and is using the fasting window to get rid of fat in my liver before my external fat????

I dont know, but nothing is working for me to lose weight. I see ppl online on YouTube said they do one meal a day and fast the rest and I don't know how a person could eat enough daily calories in one sitting. (like I I eat a donut, I'd get around300 calories....also other junk gives a lot of calories but if I'm eating eggs, avocado, vegetables....I can't get enough calories in one sitting.

But, op, 2 benefits of fasting that are beneficial even without losing "external fat" is that 1) you reduce insulin which can help reverse insulin resistance
2)it helps increase growth hormone which is anti aging and good for the body

This is why ill keep it up.

satmerer

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:29 pm
I'm actually currently on it. 16:8. I follow some groups on facebook, we give each other encouragement and advice. Maybe join some groups on fb.

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 2:18 pm
Can anyone share their starting weight and how much they lost?

Librarian

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:57 pm
I eat from 7am until 3-4pm. I am 49 years old and quite thin. I lost even more weight when I started the intermittent fasting. I went from a size 4 to a size 2 even at my age. I love it because now when I go to a simcha or occasionally out to eat I am not afraid to indulge now that I know I can easily lose the weight by getting right back on track. Of course there are times like Yom Tov or vacation when I can't keep it up, that's fine, I just go back to it as soon as I can and return to my low low weight. I love it!

Librarian

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:58 pm
I only lost about 7lbs but for me that is alot!

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:01 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I have always fasted without knowing about if bec I always skipped breakfast and didnt eat until lunch.

Now, I started doing fasting for 20 or 21 hrs together with low carb. But, I'm not losing weight. Im having trouble squishing all my calories into that short time period. I get full fast, so since I'm trying to eat healthier, I'm not getting that many calories in the 3 hr eating window.

Either in not losing weight bec I'm not eating enough calories in eating window or because maybe my body has a fatty liver and is using the fasting window to get rid of fat in my liver before my external fat????

I dont know, but nothing is working for me to lose weight. I see ppl online on YouTube said they do one meal a day and fast the rest and I don't know how a person could eat enough daily calories in one sitting. (like I I eat a donut, I'd get around300 calories....also other junk gives a lot of calories but if I'm eating eggs, avocado, vegetables....I can't get enough calories in one sitting.

But, op, 2 benefits of fasting that are beneficial even without losing "external fat" is that 1) you reduce insulin which can help reverse insulin resistance

The fasting thing is not a guarantee it will work, because other opinions hold that if you don’t eat in the morning your metabolism stops because it thinks it’s being starved. Go figure.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:52 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
The fasting thing is not a guarantee it will work, because other opinions hold that if you don’t eat in the morning your metabolism stops because it thinks it’s being starved. Go figure.

Thanks for responding to my post. But, I have always skipped breakfast for yrs and have always been thin. Now, since my many pregnancies, im having trouble losing weight, mostly in my stomach/waist. But, I know its not bec I dont eat in the morning.

My issue is my body may think its starving bec I am not eating enough in the evening. I just had some butter, salad with vege.., sour cream, egg, and now im trying to eat lentils and flaxseed but im so full even after fasting an entire day so im trying to force myself to eat more. (my body is "messed up" as ive had insulin issues even when I was thinner(before pregnancies). So, maybe its my bad genes, maybe ...??

ETA: which "others" hold this?? Can you give names on youtube??(bec. So far, ive seen so many youtube videos explaining benefits of fasting and research with it (not just for weight loss).

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:50 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Weddings?
Events?
Parties?
Engagements?
Late shabbosim?

How do you stop eating at 6pm?!

I went to an event Recently where not one thing was on my meal plan. Except maybe the pickles. It was the first major event I could not eat at since I started this because there was just no ‘andrea friendly ‘ food available.

I had eaten lunch earlier in the day, a small amount, and then I also Ate a small amount before before the event so I would not be starving and then had a complete hoot of a time. If I’d been very hungry when I got home, I’d have eaten again. I didn’t and then just ate lunch the next day around 1 pm.

Lather, rinse repeat. I have a way better time at parties now that I know I don’t have to eat. It’s absolutely freeing to be able to go to an event and not have to eat. It’s not nearly as awkward as it might seem because you have an amazing time paying attention to the people around you instead of obsessing about food. Some events I can eat at, some, I can’t. Either way, I have an amazing time at each one. This past one was the first where there was actually no food that I could eat. Most of the time, there’s something. When I went to a mid afternoon vort recently, it was not my eating time and besides there was nothing but sweets and fruit, which I don’t eat anyways. We went out for a steak dinner after. I visited with my work friends and met tonness of new people! It was so fun and the steak was yummy! I’m here to say it’s pissible to go to an event and have a great time, even if you are not eating!

For Shabbat and Yom Tov I eat dinner and then lunch. I eat carefully knowing that I’ll for sure be eating twice. I don’t skimp during my eating times. I eat slowly and eat to satiety. I don’t typically eat seudah shlishit. It depends how I feel that day. I always make sure that there is good food for me to eat at shabbat and Yom Tov meals. If we go out, I bring stuff. People understand.

Often, I eat one meal a day. Some days I eat two. I almost never eat three. Tomorrow I work very early in the am so will probably eat twice because shabbat is late. Today for some reason I was very hungry so I ate early for me. But I also did not eat after work because I’m not hungry ( thank you ketosis) and have to go to bed early to work tomorrow.

Fasting is very personal. I agree with the poster who said that you can’t just binge in your eating window. You should eat well during that time though. There is a huge amount of information about intermittent fasting on the web. Dr. Jason Fung is an acknowledged leader in the field.

This is not a fad diet. This is a medically recognized thing to do that helps with insulin resistance and reorganizing your body’s hormones so that your body will release the weight and then allow you to keep it off. It’s not fast for most people. It’s consistency that matters and the combo of This, and low carb eating are very helpful in losing and then maintaining a weight loss because chemistry.

In his clinic, when Dr. fung needs to get a diabetic persons blood sugar down fast he encourages longer fasts or fat fasts to help bring blood sugar down quickly. The longer your blood sugar and insulin are not high, the lower those levels go. For the average diabetic he encourages 36 hour fasts a few times a week. People work out what works best for them.

The whole thing is WAY easier with a low carb food plan that allows ketosis but is not strictly necessary. The thing is, if you do eat carbs, you end up fasting half the day getting rid of the insulin reaction and it’s just harder. Not impossible, but harder.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:56 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:

This happens when you go low calorie. Not fasting alone. A complete fast of four days can increase your metabolism by 14% per dr. Fung ( who based his comment in research.) the human being was most likely not meant to eat constantly. We do well by feasting and fasting. If our metabolisms slowed down from fasting, we would have never had energy for finding more food. We would be extinct.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:58 pm
I think it must be stated that being thin and being healthy do not necessarily go hand in hand. After a certain age if a women would like to maintain a really thin figure she really cannot eat a lot. I am very thin and the few friends I have in my age bracket who are in this category (think size 4) eat very little. I am not condoning this or promoting this as healthy, just a fact. When I get asked (often) "how do you stay so thin?" I tell the truth - I eat very little! I eat bran cereal and skim milk for breakfast and then salt free dry roasted nuts, broccoli or cauliflower, one or 2 fruits though out the day. I don't eat past 4pm. I will also eat some dark chocolate to make me happy. On shabbos I eat fish, chicken, challah, salad. Of course I cheat and my weight will go up and down a bit but that's fine because I am thin to begin with. I am writing this because I don't think ppl understand how little a 40+ women who wants to be really thin can really eat.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 5:59 pm

Donuts and junk don’t help. Unless I misunderstood you, that’s an issue, right there. Fasting to binge is not particularly effective or healthy. Apologies if I misunderstood you

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 7:51 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Weddings?
Events?
Parties?
Engagements?
Late shabbosim?

How do you stop eating at 6pm?!

You don’t need to eat at ALL these events

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 8:50 pm
My doctor has actually recommended I look into intermittent fasting and suggested by just trying 2 days a week. I’m having a difficult time getting the baby weight off and I just haven’t figured out how to fit exercise back into my daily routine yet. I work full time and generally eat very healthy. My energy level is good and I’m getting enough sleep most nights. And Im emotionally doing well, which is amazing for me (was dealing with PPD & some health issues before), so the fact I’m not overwhelmed or having anxiety and feel normal is amazing.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 9:14 am
andrea levy wrote:
Donuts and junk don’t help. Unless I misunderstood you, that’s an issue, right there. Fasting to binge is not particularly effective or healthy. Apologies if I misunderstood you

Yes, you misunderstood me. I said if I fast and eat one meal a day, I'm having trouble getting all 1200 or...calories in that meal or even in the small eating window.

Then, I said IF someone eats donuts, WHICH I DONT EAT, then you get high calories fast. But, I'm eating healthier in that small eating window, so I have a hard time getting enough calories, like ill eat butter, salad, salmon/sardines, lentils and flax...but I can't even finish my portion of lentils and flax(I want fiber and omega 3 frm it)...im not sure I get enough calories bec I'm so full once I eat a small amount....(no! I dont eat donuts, cake...which are high calorie foods...if someone eats these things, then it is was to get enough calories) but I eat healthy.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 9:27 am
Yes, you misunderstood me. I said if I fast and eat one meal a day, I'm having trouble getting all 1200 or...calories in that meal or even in the small eating window.

Then, I said IF someone eats donuts, WHICH I DONT EAT, then you get high calories fast. But, I'm eating healthier in that small eating window, so I have a hard time getting enough calories, like ill eat butter, salad, salmon/sardines, lentils and flax...but I can't even finish my portion of lentils and flax(I want fiber and omega 3 frm it)...im not sure I get enough calories bec I'm so full once I eat a small amount....(no! I dont eat donuts, cake...which are high calorie foods...if someone eats these things, then it is was to get enough calories) but I eat healthy.

Thanks for clarifying . I thought thAt didn’t jive with what you were saying.if you want more calories, Up your fats. More calories. Lower insulin reaction.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 10:05 am
I'd rather diet all the time than go without

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 1:33 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I'd rather diet all the time than go without

Some people have a harder time stopping eating when they start. Each should do what works for them, but I suggest that anyone who wants to seriously use fasting as a tool read up about it just As they would a diet.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:17 pm
Thanks for responding to my post. But, I have always skipped breakfast for yrs and have always been thin. Now, since my many pregnancies, im having trouble losing weight, mostly in my stomach/waist. But, I know its not bec I dont eat in the morning.

My issue is my body may think its starving bec I am not eating enough in the evening. I just had some butter, salad with vege.., sour cream, egg, and now im trying to eat lentils and flaxseed but im so full even after fasting an entire day so im trying to force myself to eat more. (my body is "messed up" as ive had insulin issues even when I was thinner(before pregnancies). So, maybe its my bad genes, maybe ...??

ETA: which "others" hold this?? Can you give names on youtube??(bec. So far, ive seen so many youtube videos explaining benefits of fasting and research with it (not just for weight loss).

Oh no! Don't try to stuff yourself! Eat until you're comfortable, and then no more. Let your body get it's energy from your fat reserves. Some days I'll just have some whole wheat bread and 3 eggs with veggies, and I'm good for the next 24 hours. No joke.

Your body will only go into 'starvation mode' if you snack and eat little bits without feeling satisfied, then it will say, "one minute Dodgerblue, you're in eating mode, but not eating enough to satisfy me? Must be a hunger coming to town!" But if when you eat, you eat. And when you don't eat, you don't taste a crumb. Your body won't think it's missing out on food, and will just focus on healing itself and taking from its fat reserves. And unless you're severely underweight, everyone should have enough fat to last them a good coupla days without food (as long as they don't snack!).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics